Serial Killer Culture

Anybody see this doc? Includes things like letters from serial killers, tribute bands etc. Here's the trailer.

Kids song about John Wayne Gacy from one of the guys in the doc.

I've always been interested in reading about different serial killers but to buy paintings and write letters to them? That's going way too far especially if they profit from it

I get the impression the American fascination with serial killers peaked in '90s? Seems to be less about them in the media/culture now.

Subbed for later

ons ear - I've always been interested in reading about different serial killers but to buy paintings and write letters to them? That's going way too far especially if they profit from it

theres a poster on here that had correspondence with a few serial killers, posted some of the letters a couple years ago. said it kinda freaked him out how much they reminded him of ogers at times. big fan of his actually

mynameisMud -
ons ear - I've always been interested in reading about different serial killers but to buy paintings and write letters to them? That's going way too far especially if they profit from it

theres a poster on here that had correspondence with a few serial killers, posted some of the letters a couple years ago. said it kinda freaked him out how much they reminded him of ogers at times. big fan of his actually

That was probably me. I always found it funny that if you tell a story about a pretty girl on an MMA forum or to a convicted serial killer you will get the same response: pics!!!

^^interesting doc on the same subject matter. One of the subjects killed himself when the Seattle Mariners lost a big game some years later

banco - I get the impression the American fascination with serial killers peaked in '90s? Seems to be less about them in the media/culture now.

I remember it being more in the late 70's and on into the 80's but I'm not certain

Stern -
banco - I get the impression the American fascination with serial killers peaked in '90s? Seems to be less about them in the media/culture now.

I remember it being more in the late 70's and on into the 80's but I'm not certain

Yes, the 70s and 80s were the golden age of the serial killer.

alekskillbearwithknife -
Stern -

Yes, the 70s and 80s were the golden age of the serial killer.

You may be already aware of it but a podcast called "Serial Killers" is a good listen

mynameisMud - 

No surprise, the internet and esp forums like these are a magnet for sociopaths, narcissists, people with autistic spectrum disorders etc

Stern - 

You might be right. I'm thinking of silence of the lambs, the cultural obsession with profilers and the many films with serial killers (seven, copycat, kiss the girls etc.) as far the 90's go. Hell even mulder is a profiler.

Later

If you want to learn about serial killers in a comedic way, listen to "the last podcast on the left". 

banco -
Stern - 

You might be right. I'm thinking of silence of the lambs, the cultural obsession with profilers and the many films with serial killers (seven, copycat, kiss the girls etc.) as far the 90's go. Hell even mulder is a profiler.

Yes it definitely still hung around into the 90's. I should made that clearer. It wasn't as big as the 70's/80's but it was still a very covered thing in the 90's.

From what I can remember by the mid 90's it didn't captive the publics attention as much. I guess the deaths of Dahmer and Gacy in 1994 played a role in that.

As you mentioned TSOTL(my grandmothers all time favorite movie) film adaptation which was hugely successful that came out in 1991(the year dahmer was caught)The novel was published in 1988.

HolyHackBBCZack -
mynameisMud -

That was probably me. I always found it funny that if you tell a story about a pretty girl on an MMA forum or to a convicted serial killer you will get the same response: pics!!!

LOL

Being of a certain age, I remember the Serial Killer mania of the 90s, with the whole "Silence of the Lambs" thing.

As it happens, I have had the chance to meet and interact several serial killers throughout my career, and its amazing how uninteresting they are.

I have come to the conclusion that society, the media and both psychiatrists and police have created a false narrative of the "SERIAL KILLER" as someone cool...as opposed to the reality being that they are fucktards.