Serious question about krons

My friend visited the other day as a drop in. 

He was going to do the advanced class.  Before the advanced class was the beginners class.   He sat down to watch the class and was told that he could not.  Why is that 

And why was he given a belt with a stripe through the middle of it to wear 

some places charge visitors by the day. others by the class. some not at all (my favorite type). i'm guessing that kron's is the type to charge by the class. so if they allowed your friend to watch that would be like giving him two classes.

with regard to the stripe thing i'm guessing its to let people know that he's a visitor

I went to many clubs that would not even allow a drop in even though  I just didn't wanna miss a work out while on vacation 

Hargreaves - 

I went to many clubs that would not even allow a drop in even though  I just didn't wanna miss a work out while on vacation 

i've seen that too.

i used to live by a big name club and they wouldn't even let potential members try out a class. i called to see if i could check out a class (i was planning on signing up) and the lady said that i'd have to pay $50 or something like that. i ended up training elsewhere. different clubs seem to have all sorts of different rules

checkuroil -

My friend visited the other day as a drop in. 

He was going to do the advanced class.  Before the advanced class was the beginners class.   He sat down to watch the class and was told that he could not.  Why is that 

And why was he given a belt with a stripe through the middle of it to wear 

The belts with stripes indicate that the person is a visitor and / or did not receive their belt from Rickson, Kron or one of their black belts.  It's been this way since before I started over 11 years ago when it was still Rickson's.

As for the beginner class, we have a policy that only white belts are allowed in the room during that class.  This applies to everyone, including long time members of the school.  The only other people allowed in the room are other beginners who are interested in trying out a class.  

So if a black belt went to Kron's school they would make him wear another belt?  Seriously?  Fuck that.

What if you want to watch advanced 

deepu -

So if a black belt went to Kron's school they would make him wear another belt?  Seriously?  Fuck that.

Correct.  They would wear a black belt with white stripe.  

It doesn't take from you as a person nor is it a demotion.  If you're gonna train at Kron's, he wants you to learn his way of doing things which is going to be different than most people are accustomed to.  It's an academy, not a gym.  

We've had blue through black belts throughout the years wear stripes without complaining.  

Your ego is not your amigo.

checkuroil -

What if you want to watch advanced 

It's open for everyone to train / watch.

digitaltoddy - 
deepu -

It doesn't take from you as a person nor is it a demotion.  If you're gonna train at Kron's, he wants you to learn his way of doing things which is going to be different than most people are accustomed to.  It's an academy, not a gym.  

We've had blue through black belts throughout the years wear stripes without complaining.  

lol, what about his ego as he's clearly worried that my black belt could somehow devalue his schools reputation.  

deepu -
digitaltoddy - 
deepu -

lol, what about his ego as he's clearly worried that my black belt could somehow devalue his schools reputation.  

That ego doesn't count 

His ego has nothing to do with you wearing a white stripe at his school.  However your "fuck that!" comment speaks to your own.  

Kron has allowed guys to wear their black belts (sans stripe) once they've learned his philosophy, techniques and have demonstrated their ability to apply them.  Plain and simple.  Rickson ran his school the same way.  

Don't like it?  Don't train here.  

checkuroil -
deepu -
digitaltoddy - 
deepu -

That ego doesn't count 

CUO the everlasting Kron hater.  

digitaltoddy - 

His ego has nothing to do with you wearing a white stripe at his school.  However your "fuck that!" comment speaks to your own.  

Kron has allowed guys to wear their black belts (sans stripe) once they've learned his philosophy, techniques and have demonstrated their ability to apply them.  Plain and simple.  Rickson ran his school the same way.  

Me not wearing my belt is disrespecting my instructor and yeah, that won't happen.  For sure my ego is involved, I am proud of my lineage in jiu jitsu ... maybe that's wrong but I'm pretty sure no bjj black belt would appreciate being told to take off their belt at any school.

their gym, their rules. Just seems kind of odd

deepu -
digitaltoddy - 

Me not wearing my belt is disrespecting my instructor and yeah, that won't happen.  For sure my ego is involved, I am proud of my lineage in jiu jitsu ... maybe that's wrong but I'm pretty sure no bjj black belt would appreciate being told to take off their belt at any school.

It's different from what most people are used to.  I get it.  Definitely not wrong to be proud of your lineage.  Some guys stick around, some don't.  We have a couple of guys who got their black belts in Brazil from Ryan Gracie team that have been with us for a bit, Kron let them wear their belts after learning his ways.  One of is even an instructor now.

Didn't Saulo do something similar to this at his University of BJJ?

We have a lot of BB visitors and I always make them wear a very thin Pink Belt with bright, yellow fringe if they get on the mat.

It's simply because we may teach some slightly different details than they are used to seeing, so I think it's important that they wear a different belt.

It's in no way a sign of disrespect.  

But if they refuse to wear it, well, the door is right there.

shen -

We have a lot of BB visitors and I always make them wear a very thin Pink Belt with bright, yellow fringe if they get on the mat.

It's simply because we may teach some slightly different details than they are used to seeing, so I think it's important that they wear a different belt.

Funny guy.. don't you have a school within a mile of Kron's?  You always seem to be bagging on him or talkiing about a 'friend' who trained at Kron's and it's never positive. Interesting. It's cool, we've had a couple of people come through who were at Tsunami and they didn't have positive things to say either. 

FYI, it's not slight details, more like the philosophy behind his jiu-jitsu.  Instead of just constantly talkin shit, maybe you could train with him and understand why the school is the way it is instead of assuming like you always do.  I get it though, it's much easier to sit in front of a computer and jape.

digitaltoddy - 
shen -

Funny guy.. don't you have a school within a mile of Kron's?  You always seem to be bagging on him or talkiing about a 'friend' who trained at Kron's and it's never positive. Interesting. It's cool, we've had a couple of people come through who were at Tsunami and they didn't have positive things to say either. 

FYI, it's not slight details, more like the philosophy behind his jiu-jitsu.  Instead of just constantly talkin shit, maybe you could train with him and understand why the school is the way it is instead of assuming like you always do.  I get it though, it's much easier to sit in front of a computer and jape.

You want to know why people bag on Kron so much? Because he was mostly a giant piece of shit when he was younger, and a lot of the "crew" were into gangs, intimidating people, looking for trouble etc. And I mean directly from that school. He was also shown himself to be disrespectful to other high level practitioners at tournaments.

Has he matured? Who knows? I don't. I hope so. But you can't question people about why simply because anyone who lived around there will tell you the same.

But everyone deserves a second chance.

But as far as the belt thing, you mean if Rafa Friggin Mendes rolled on up to train, he would have to take off his belt?? LOL