Serious Question on Choke Subs.

Med Sci Sports Exerc 1998 Sep;30(9):1356-62 Related Articles, Books Spectral analysis of electroencephalography changes after choking in judo (juji-jime).Rau R, Raschka C, Brunner K, Banzer W.Department of Sports Medicine, Institute of Sports Sciences of the Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, Frankfurt/Main, Germany.PURPOSE: The present study was carried out to investigate possible electroencephalographic changes induced by choking in judo (shime-waza) by means of spectral analysis and brain mapping. METHODS: Power spectral changes in Electroencephalography (EEG) were recorded in six experienced judoka who underwent a choking trial with a "shime-waza choking" technique called juji-jime. RESULTS: A significant increase of global field power in the delta- and theta-range occurred, while physiological alpha-power decreased. These changes in the low-frequency range reached a statistically significant level within a time span up to 20 s after choking, which was performed at an average choking time of 8 s. In no case did choking provoke neuropsychological symptoms. Yet, spectral EEG-analysis revealed subclinical changes of brain function. CONCLUSIONS: Choking in judo may induce subclinical electroencephalographic perturbations. The extent and duration can be objectified by means of spectral analysis of EEG data, global field power computation, and brain-mapping representation.PMID: 9741603 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Br J Sports Med 1997 Dec;31(4):346-7 Related Articles, Books, LinkOut Stroke without dissection from a neck holding manoeuvre in martial arts.McCarron MO, Patterson J, Duncan R.Department of Neurology, Southern General Hospital, Glasgow.Carotid artery trauma is a known cause of stroke in young people. The vessel may occlude, dissect or shower thrombotic emboli into intracranial vessels. This paper reports the use of single photon emission computed tomography (SPECT) imaging in a 29 year old man who developed an embolic stroke after neck holding manoeuvres at a martial arts class. Awareness of the potential consequences of these procedures is matched by the need for rapid and accurate diagnosis of stroke now that thrombolytic and neuroprotective treatments are emerging, which are effective only within a short time window.PMID: 9429016 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

J Sports Med Phys Fitness 1991 Dec;31(4):627-8 Related Articles, Books Judo as a possible cause of anoxic brain damage. A case report.Owens RG, Ghadiali EJ.Sub-Department of Clinical Psychology, University of Liverpool, England.The rules of judo provide for strangulation techniques in which the blood supply to the brain is blocked by pressure on the carotid arteries; such techniques produce anoxia and possible unconsciousness if the victim fails to submit. A case is presented of a patient with signs of anoxic brain damage, with psychometric investigation showing memory disturbance consistent with a left temporal lobe lesion. This patient had been frequently strangled during his career as a judo player; it is suggested that such frequent strangulation was the cause of the damage. Such an observation indicates the need for caution in the use of such techniques.PMID: 1806745 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

J Sports Med Phys Fitness 1991 Dec;31(4):605-10 Related Articles, Books Judo and choking: EEG and regional cerebral blood flow findings.Rodriguez G, Francione S, Gardella M, Marenco S, Nobili F, Novellone G, Reggiani E, Rosadini G.Institute of Neurophysiopathology, University of Genoa, Italy.Ten judoka were examined at rest by EEG and regional Cerebral Blood Flow (rCBF) (133-Xenon inhalation method); in seven of them a syncope was induced by choking and EEG was recorded during the loss of consciousness while rCBF was measured immediately after recovery. Baseline EEG and rCBF examinations were normal. During choking, EEG showed diffuse 2-3 Hz. high voltage waves, predominantly in the anterior regions, then the EEG gradually recovered to normal. After choking, rCBF decreased in all but one subject, slightly in four and more markedly in two. Our findings suggest that there is no evidence of permanent CNS functional changes due to judo practice and choking. The variable rCBF features soon after choking-induced syncope may reflect a different timing of recovery from cerebral ischemia for each subject.PMID: 1806742 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE] -Bryan

Brain damage can't be from one minute on, because I can hold my breaf underwater for a minute and I'm fine and cherry wine.

If you use the guillotine too hard, can you crush their trachea?

This is just what I've heard, but it sounds right...plus this person/these people that told me have done it before.

Don't hold a choke longer than 10 seconds after the person goes out, and i'm not talking about 1-1-thousand seconds. Supposedly they'll be out long enough to make a getaway or at the very least to end the fight.

Also, be careful of headlock type chokes, if you're dealing with a person that's full of energy and trying to jump or flail out of it, they can snap their neck and die. Think about the panic you were in when you first got choked.... If you can hold them still, like pulling them into the guard in a guillotine or putting them on the floor with a rear-naked, you'll have less of a chance for accidents or accidental deaths.

p's

but holding your breath is completely different from being strangled. The entire time you hold your breath your lungs are still supplying oxygenated blood to your brain. Cutting off blood supply will completely eliminate any chance of your brain "breathing"-which is no good.

Here is a kool link to a choke article...
http://fightingarts.com/magazine/judo_choke.shtml
It talks about the differences between chokes and strangles. Although I think they put the wrong pictures in for "hadaka jime" because i nthe picture the airflow is being interupted more so than the blood flow.