Serra Stirring Sterling vs Volk

https://www.mmanews.com/news/matt-serra-aljamain-sterling-will-break-jaw-alexander-volkanovski-super-fight

Matt Serra is supremely confident in Aljamain Sterling’s chances in a potential clash against Alexander Volkanovski.

Volkanovski will face Yair RodrĂ­guez in the UFC 290 headliner in July. He returns to unify the UFC featherweight title after challenging for the lightweight belt at UFC 284 this past February.

Sterling, meanwhile, is booked against Sean O’Malley later this year at UFC 292. His next fight was arranged just days after defeating Henry Cejudo by split decision at UFC 288.
After facing off against O’Malley, Sterling envisions a full-time move to featherweight to focus on possible ‘champ-champ’ status. He could potentially earn an immediate title shot against Volkanovski or Rodríguez if he defeats “Sugar” in August.

Sterling is known for his relentless grappling, as demonstrated in recent wins over TJ Dillashaw and Petr Yan. But, Serra believes Sterling could surprise Volkanovski on the feet if they were to fight for the featherweight belt. After facing off against O’Malley, Sterling envisions a full-time move to featherweight to focus on possible ‘champ-champ’ status. He could potentially earn an immediate title shot against Volkanovski or Rodríguez if he defeats “Sugar” in August.

Sterling is known for his relentless grappling, as demonstrated in recent wins over TJ Dillashaw and Petr Yan. But, Serra believes Sterling could surprise Volkanovski on the feet if they were to fight for the featherweight belt.

“Aljo with his arms, they’re wirey, if he doesn’t get the neck, he’ll break the jaw,” Serra said. “I believe if he gets that back, he’s finishing… That’s a winnable fight, I feel, and I like Volkanovski a lot.”
Sterling defeated Dillashaw by TKO at UFC 280. Before that, his last knockout win came against Hugo Viana in July 2014.

Prior to a failed bid for the lightweight strap this year, Volkanovski hadn’t lost since his fourth professional fight in 2013 and had won 22 consecutive fights. He earned the pound-for-pound top spot in the UFC after a dominant win over Max Holloway at UFC 276 last July.

Serra is one of Sterling’s longtime coaches alongside Ray Longo. He has helped develop fighters such as Chris Weidman, Merab Dvalishvili, and “Funk Master.”
Sterling’s move to featherweight seems inevitable, and Serra feels he could shock the world and further silence his detractors by finishing Volkanovski.

Talk is cheap.

1 Like

Serra being loyal and talking up his boy, good for him, but he’s not beating Volk in any capacity.

1 Like

How many backs did he get here?

1 Like

Big Serra fan. What does anyone expect him to say? Aljo is not beating Volk .

Aljo keeps winning and there is something to be said about that. However no win was ever clear cut and he never displayed any dominance. He won the belt in an awful fashion. Beat Yan in a snooze fest. Beat a one arm TJ. Beat Henry by split decision.

I don’t see him beating Volk, Henry part 2 or Yair. He should beat Omally - just needs to close the distance