Seven Things You Need to Know About Nunes v Pena

http://blog.mmaratings.net/2021/11/bjb-breakdown-seven-things-you-need-to.html

On December 11 in the UFC 269 co-main event, we have a UFC Bantamweight Championship fight between two-division champ Amanda Nunes and the former TUF winner and top-five-ranked 135-pounder Julianna Peña. This isn’t a fight anyone has demanded, or even asked for, as Nunes has completely dominated the division in her recent run, beating the champion in Miesha Tate, former champions Holly Holm, Ronda Rousey, and Germaine De Randamie, and contenders like Raquel Pennington. On the other side you have Peña, who has looked dominant against fourth-, third-, and second-tier fighters like Jessica Rakozcy, Milana Dudieva, Cat Zingano, Jessica Eye, Nicco Montaño, and Sara McMann, while routinely and decisively losing when facing tier 1 fighters like Valentina Shevchenko and De Randamie. As a result of these two things, the interest in this fight has not been particularly memorable.

But beyond the surface-level issues that have hindered any momentum this fight has had the opportunity to build, I am taking a deeper look, so that we may discuss how this fight is a dangerous one for Nunes, and why a fight that could be considered underwhelming (especially in light of Nunes’ dominance in two divisions) may end up being one of the more entertaining ones in the career of the all-time great pound-for-pound entrant Nunes.

http://blog.mmaratings.net/2021/11/bjb-breakdown-seven-things-you-need-to.html

You only need to know ONE thing… nobody cares.

16 Likes

After reading the thread title I was convinced this was going to be a Burgos special. Shocked I was wrong.

I’m sure he’ll copy and paste this and make another thread shortly.

It’d have to rank as one of the bigger upsets in UFC history if Pena wins

2 Likes

nunes team is aware of why pena is pushing for this fight and they are aware julianna is going to force a pace to break nunes ability to accurately or explosively counter or to impose her size and strength…

pena team knows nunes aint at her best at bw

see nunes vs tate
pena should do about the same as tate did

1 Like

Nvd

Not her best at BW? Didn’t Nunes run through BW to the point that the only way to challenge herself and give her more fights was to take them at 145?

This has one of the best storyline lead ups ever though.

With Nunes pointing out Peña hasn’t even been able to put together a win streak to justify a title shot.

And Peña throwing a tantrum, saying she deserves a title shot just because.

And then Peña claiming Nunes faked Covid to avoid the fight and in fact has avoided her for years on end.

And Nunes just completely ignoring her because who cares, it’s just Peña.

I’m fucking pumped for this fight!

2 Likes

Correct

Numes fights better at 145 then 135. At 135 she slows down after the 2nd. Pena needs to survive & clinch to slow down nunes and agter the 2nd round push the pace.

1 Like

Pena’s only chance is on the ground if she can get it there

Although Pena didn’t deserve a shot, she’s without doubt the only girl at 135 with a chance against Nunes

pena was callin out ronda b4 gettin armbarred by val

3 Likes

exactly

nunes cant fight t pace…not a sustained one; when she has been forced to do so, she gassed badly versus zingano shevchenko and de randamie

this article aged well