SF Heavyweight GP Brackets/matchmaking suck

Although im excited about the upcoming SF tourney but the brackets are horrible. Obviously Coker is giving Barnett a free pass to the finals by putting him on the side where if he beats rogers he fights Arlovski/Kharinoto winner. Reem vs Werdum should be the final fight not the first round fight.

but Reem/Werdum was the fight that needed to happen now IMO.

Silva/Fedor determines who is #1 contender for the above bout's winner.

the other half of tourney decides who is next up after that bout.

thats what their thinking is anyway I hope. I was confused @ first, but after further review, it makes sense.

it isnt exactly a free pass, he should win the fights but there by no means guarantees. Also by your reckoning as an 8 man tourney, how should the brackets have been set?

if you don't understand why strikeforce made the brackets so that big fights like werdum/overeem and fedor/overeem would take place as soon as possible instead of in the distant future i don't know what to tell you.

Wrong, matchmaking is excellent.

Forget the "tournament" format, think about it this way: Reem vs Werdum now, makes sense Werdum is the #1 contender. Fedor either fights Werdum (for the rematch) or Ubereem. The winner of that fight, faces someone from the other bracket who by now has established himself as a legit contender. Works out perfectly every way you cut it.

daglord - but Reem/Werdum was the fight that needed to happen now IMO.

thats what their thinking is anyway I hope. I was confused @ first, but after further review, it makes sense.

I should have read the thread first. QFT.

This.

Perfect sense. 

I don't understand some of the hate for this tournament. The fights make perfect sense, Strikeforce have been getting a load of shit from lots of people for usually not making any sense.

We have the possibility of seeing Fedor fight 3 times this year, which solves the complaint of Fedor not fighting much. 

We get to see Overeem possibly fight 3 times this year, same as above. We also get to see Overeem prove himself against legit top 10 competition, and I know you'll argue half of the tournament aren't top 10 but there's ZERO argument about his first two fights. 

Also, this tournament adds a lot of legitimacy to the Strikeforce HW title. 

I cant see ANY reason to shit on this tournament. 

I'm happy and I CANNOT WAIT to see how it all unfolds. 

all i know is I get to see Werdum X Reem and Fedor X Bigfoot.   for now that is cool.

The good news is that the tournament is all hypothetical anyway.

Moist Gracie - 

This does provide a reasonable explanation for the bracket, but I don't agree.

The way the bracket is laid out, all of the best fights will happen early on, meaning the the finals match isn't a true finals match. Don't you want to see the two best fighters go out it for first place? What we have now is a meat grinder on one side, and everyone else on the other. The finals match will not be a true final; I can't say for certain that it will be a total blow out, but I think Fedor/Werdum/Overeem are the three best, and two of those guys are deserving of a finals match.

Not to mention, separating these three fighters will ensure some hype for each bout in advance. I think more buzz would be generated by laying out the bracket in such a way that two of those three guys would end up meeting in the final. The way it stands now, more people are anticipating the quarters and semis, and really don't give a shit about the finals match.

That's precisely the point. This way they sell out 3 events instead of just the final. The finals are easy to promote no matter who fights, just by virtue of it being a final match to determine the "champion of the universe," etc, etc...

If it was a one night tourney, what you're saying would make sense. But this way, why wait a year or more for a super-fight that may or may not take place? Coker knows what he's doing, give the man some credit.

Gooseman95 - Although im excited about the upcoming SF tourney but the brackets are horrible. Obviously Coker is giving Barnett a free pass to the finals by putting him on the side where if he beats rogers he fights Arlovski/Kharinoto winner. Reem vs Werdum should be the final fight not the first round fight.

Youre lost. Stop posting and making threads and just read for a while.

mmajournalist.blogspot.com/2011/01/outrage-over-impending-strikeforce.html 

I think this as a tournament is ridiculous also. The PRIDE style tourney didn't wait for a long time to happen. It was win or beat feet.

I also am still confused to how this will work. Coker, to my knowledge, hasn't even decided if this will crown the champ, or a contender for the champ. Either way, if Reem makes it to the finals then it wasted several potential match ups by systematically eliminating his competition, and if he doesn't then it is proof that he was a paper champ. This seems like a lose, lose to me.

As a fan of MMA this seems weird for a way to run your deepest division to me. Especially since Fedor is on a 4 fight contract (the running speculation) and this could potentially eliminate his entire contract. See him win it, then sit out for a year while they renegotiate with him again? M-1 could then ask for the sun be moved closer to Russia and Strikeforce would have no choice but to cave to their demands.

Nothing about this tourney is anything but good. If you think it is, you are just looking for something to bitch about.

Please rename thread "I'm either a shill or a whiney bitch" Phone Post

buddie - Nothing about this tourney is anything but good. If you think it is, you are just looking for something to bitch about.

My biggest concern is getting stoked about it and it not coming to fruition. I like 6 of the 8 participants so far, but if someone with a high profile like Fedor/Reem drops and is replaced with "Big" Johnson, it will lose a lot of steam quickly to me. A year is a long time to wait for a conclusion to the tourney and a lot of time for something bad to happen.

The half with Fedor is a great bracket. The other side is much weaker. But, there are some potentially great fights on both sides.

HELWIG - 
Gooseman95 - Although im excited about the upcoming SF tourney but the brackets are horrible. Obviously Coker is giving Barnett a free pass to the finals by putting him on the side where if he beats rogers he fights Arlovski/Kharinoto winner. Reem vs Werdum should be the final fight not the first round fight.

Youre lost. Stop posting and making threads and just read for a while.

seriously, this op.

Its designed to give you the most potential super match ups and is great bracketing in my opinion.

You get the current championship fight with Overeem/Werdum, a Solid opponent against Fedor who Fedor should be able to beat and either a Fedor/Werdum rematch or Fedor/Overeem most likely which are both mind bottling. As far as I'm concerned Barnett could just face winner, but instead we get to see him in some very exciting match ups even if on the far weaker side of the bracket.

I agree it doesn't make the msot sense if you look at it like a tournament with seeds, but if you look at it like fights that need to happen now with the establishment of a legit contender, that's exactly what you will get with the tourny. You may be disappointed in the final match ups but the fights leading up to the brackets are gold imo.