SFPD to authorize robots for lethal force

Why would you have to authorize a human controlled bot to use lethal force? That’s just a cop with a roll around gun. I took it as security bots using lethal force. Maybe I’m wrong.

1 Like
4 Likes

The software side of it isn’t there yet… hardware is ready though for sure… which is why you will probably only have remotely controlled (maybe some specific AI elements in it) robots doing these things right now.

1 Like

I say probably because I don’t know maybe something completely AI exists… I just don’t think so.

Musk can’t even get Tesla AI approved for use without a human override…

1 Like

4 Likes

Lol SF of all places? This will go well.

1 Like

Someone has to be liable for lethal force.

1 Like

No I’m with you, homie. I get it. It’s just a real slippery slope with this precedent. Let’s not overlook “policy which authorizes death” and the rapidly evolving technology they do and will use.

2 Likes

If it isn’t a human that pulls the trigger and it is a wrong critical decision from an AI, how does that play out? Who goes down for that in court? Who goes to jail?

1 Like

Realistically? No one.

1 Like

This is a good idea IMO. The crime rate in SF is stupid and cops are afraid to touch criminals due to fear of persecution. Robots are different. Robots can’t be bargained with. They can’t be reasoned with. They don’t feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And they absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead.

Everyone knows that. Good idea IMO.

thumbs-up-robocop

1 Like

I don’t see how these nerds could resist using the phrase, “Take a Byte Out of Crime!”

I don’t believe ANY of this is real, but if the the robot were smart it would quickly realize it needs to kill the entire board of supervisors and city council in order to make a dent in crime.

Cities controlled by Democrats are in love with criminality and a fantasy world view that everyone would be good if everything were just equal. They think that, fundamentally, Black kids are murdering everyone because Elon Musk makes too much money.

Human beings who think that poorly cannot solve human problems.

robocop come quietly GIF

3 Likes

They could solve their whole homeless problem with one (big) malfunction in the Tenderloin.

Ooops! Ed 209 just killed all the homeless zombies. Bad Ed. Bad boy.
Good boy.

It’s starts simple enough, but soon the machines will gather and use us as human batteries

1 Like

I dont think these are going to be used to patrolling, but I didnt read the article. I would assume that they’d be used to situations where the police are called to like a standoff or something and the robot is sent in first. Something that comes to mind is this vid where cops go to a womans apartment/hotel room and she then comes out of a bedroom, charging the cops with a knife and they all get stuck in doorway while the psycho bitch tries stabbing them. This robot could be sent in first with little to no risk to the officers.

I’ll have a problem with this once AI is introduced. As it is right now, it’s a remote controlled car with a gun on it. As long as a human is making the decision to shoot, I have no problem with this. I do wonder though whether there is auto tracking aiming or something or if some cop has to aim with a joystick/game controller. I imagine that’d be pretty tricky IRL.

1 Like

Why are people not using drones to take out other people? Seriously. What’s with the drive by shit?

One of those drones and some explosive could case hell to a whole group. Look at Ukraine/Russia. Might not be a bad way to get at someone. Not for street combat though.

A $25 gun is certainly the easiest.

This should have been first post.

First thing I though of.

2 Likes

Black Mirror is coming to life

1 Like

“Rolled away whistling a tune”

This is hilarious .

1 Like