shaolin brabo vs joe d'arce choke

i know this has been talked about before, but i still don't completely have a handle on it...

is there popular agreement that the no-gi "brabo" choke and the "darce" choke are exactly the same thing?

is it just a question of which guy popularized it in which place? it seems like in the states, joe d'arce is widely credited with showing how effective it is.

but in brazil and japan and other places, shaolin gets that credit.

i'm not sure it matters who did it first, and maybe neither of those guys actually invented the move (maybe somebody was using it during greek pancrase a thousand years ago even...) but i would like to hear peoples perspective on how it developed.

i don't think i've seen that set up. could you describe it?

do you mean
"You overhook their underhooking arm and slide your hand under HIS neck..."

i think i can picture it. i did see that yoshida video a while back. you are sort of scissoring his neck between your forearms as you cervical crank his head down to get tight enough to transition to the arm triangle, right?

does shaolin use the same setup that feitosa shows on grapplearts? (he gets the whizzer, then cradles the head with both arms to get in tight.)

"You overhook their underhooking arm and slide your hand under your neck"

That'd be something, I guess anyone'd submit to that.

if you go to subfighter.com they have a lot of stuff on it.  Rick Estrada (i think that's his name), shows a really cool entry where you slide your hand through the armpit and grab your wrist that is circling his head.  Lets say your left arm is around his head.  your right hand grabs the left wrist.  you pin your elbow to his head and use that to pivot your left hand to the ground behind his head.  if you keep your right hand on your left wrist, it pulls it through and keeps pressure on the head with the elbow.  not the same as the d'arce but its still a very tight way to get  the brabo.

CC

Taken from www.netmma.com forum..

"the chokes are basically the same but the D'arce uses the Gable grip to finish, while with the Brabo you grab your own bicep, much like an anaconda grip."

"the chokes are basically the same but the D'arce uses the Gable grip to finish, while with the Brabo you grab your own bicep, much like an anaconda grip."

when kendal grove finished a guy the other day in the UFC with this, he did it from the arm triangle position not the gable grip, but everybody still called it a d'arce...

If you want to see/learn this technique I suggest going to Cobra Kai. All of these guys have the entries and variations to the arm triangles down VERY well.

Yep. Going around the head to behind the arm is the anaconda. Brabo and D'arce are the same exact thing, it's just west coasties are far more likely to call it a D'arce, and brazilians are far more likely to call it a brabo.

www.mma.tv/TUF/index.cfm

thanks naturalborn

I've trained with both Shaolin and Laimon. The Brabo choke that Shaolin does and the D'Arce that Laimon teaches are the exact same (grabbing own bicep to finish).

ttt

TiTTy!

ttt