Share Your Harbor Freight Tool Successes/Failures

I've had good luck with all of my purchases there - mainly air tools and a cut off saw that have worked flawlessly.

The main problems that I have encountered are poorly written manuals, poor ergonomics, and they are kinda ugly.  All stuff I can accept at a 50%+ discount.

Their drill bits are a big fail. 

When I was trying to torque down my handlebars on my motorcycle the bit broke off in the Allen bolt. Most stuff is fine, I think it rusts faster though.

I bought a 12 ton H frame press to use making weed rosin.

It's a good deal for the price and what I use it for.

I could have paid a few hundred more for a better but similar product made in the US, but I'm cheap.

If this one breaks I'm going for "made in America".

I have a sliding compound miter saw that works well. All the thumb screws for the stops etc. suck though but they are easily replaced.

Some guys in the shop at on of my clients showed me their fully stocked rolling tool chest. It as $500 for the whole thing including all the tools. Their hand tools carry lifetime warranties.

I got a utility trailer from harbor freight that I've had for 8 years that has worked well for me.

I have a pile of their tool chests. I think every one of them has a wonky wheel, but who gives a shit; I'm not making house calls with them.

Everything I get from there sucks.

I have only bought a couple things there but they were trash.

My most resent purchase of their plasma cutter has been a big success. My overpriced miller took a shit on me and HB had a sale as it was a new item. It not only out performs my miller in every way, it was less than half the price.I bought the 2 year return policy and took it back after waiting too long on changing the tip. Since then I change tips more often as per instructions. the consumables are much cheaper. the cord is way longer and more flexible.

I have their 6 in one framing nailer and used the shit out of t built my 1000sf shop and 800sf addition

I've had a lot of success with their line of air tools. Grinders and impact guns.

Electric tile wet saw - thing is beast

4inch electric angle grinder.

The pancake oiless air compressors are good for what they are.

Tarps, toolboxes, ammo cans, storage shelves, cheap/free screwdrivers to beat one, rulers and straight edges, clamps, tie downs, digital scales, power strips...

Man I love harbor freight. It definitely fills a niche.

Electric chainsaw, hedge trimmer, and 12" miter saw have all worked well for me. Chainsaw slowly leaks bar oil so I need to store it carefully. I've bought many cheaper items like nitrile gloves, knee pads, work gloves, etc.

No issues so far.

*knocks on wood

Air tools generally ok. Wont buy anything with electrical parts there. Hand tools trash, unless specialty tool for 1 time use.

I had a really old dude that worked there help me load a couple of floor jacks into the back of my truck.  When he went down to grab one side he kept going and smashed head first into the asphalt.  It rung his bell pretty hard.  I think he's dead now.

I'll get a larger item there if it's something I need for a project because the cost is usually close to or less than what it would cost to rent it, especially if I want to take my time on the project. I got a hard wood floor nailer last. It was pneumatic and I did my brother's entire house, two floors and two wings without a problem. Pulled it out a few years later to lend to my brother in law and all the seals inside it were rotted out. It was still a good buy for one project.

CuddleBug - 

I'll get a larger item there if it's something I need for a project because the cost is usually close to or less than what it would cost to rent it, especially if I want to take my time on the project. I got a hard wood floor nailer last. It was pneumatic and I did my brother's entire house, two floors and two wings without a problem. Pulled it out a few years later to lend to my brother in law and all the seals inside it were rotted out. It was still a good buy for one project.

Needs to be well oiled before Each use, or that is the expected result.

US General tool boxes are great for the price.

I avoid most of their tools, as they don't hold up to hard use very well.

But i do have an electtric hoist that powers my elevator/materials lift that goes to my basement.