Sharks and Marlin at the Montebello Islands!

Whats up OG? Any of you guys like fishing or diving?

I just got back from spending a few crazy weeks fishing, diving and exploring the remote Montebello Islands off the northwest coast of Western Australia with some friends who run a charter boat out of Exmouth.

Just an amazing place, really wild and untouched still! I took a couple of GoPro cameras with me to record everything and just finished chopping together some of the highlights along with some other cool footage I had from fishing & diving Exmouth earlier in the year - really stoked with how the video turned out and thought some you guys might be keen on a look!! Check it in fullscreen & HD with the volume up if possible for full effect! 

Scored some fish of a life time and was definitely a trip I'll never forget!! 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swmvLc9hkig&hd=1

In for later Phone Post 3.0

Not sure if the embed worked? Let me know if you guys cant see the vid!

Here's a couple of pics in case the vid aint workin!

Shark was released as where all the Marlin / Sailfish and GT! The shark absolutely nailed my lure while popping for GT's ($100+ popping lure) but I managed to reel him in get him onboard and we got the lure out and sent him back on his way after a quick pic! He wasn't real happy about it while on the deck but its a better result than him swimming around with a lure in his mouth!

Embed worked fine - great video

Cool, thanks!

Good stuff OP!! Phone Post

RJJH - 

great pics man! glad you had a great time!

I know basically nothing about fishing but I am glad it was catch and release.

Thanks man, yeah thats the best part about fishing for pelagic sport fish cause they are surface fish and not dragged up from the depths they dont tend to suffer from decompression and are generally able to be released nice and healthy so long as you are careful with them!

The boat actually has a constant pump running a saltwater hose so we could keep running sea water through the mouth and gills to keep them healthy before a quick photo and release!

We did keep one fish a day for dinner each night tho along with a crayfish or two if I found some while diving, hard to beat fresh caught fish and lobster for dinner each night!

very nice video i'm jealous

I've fished all my life (almost 40) and haven't seen that number of pelagic's in all that time. :sadface

Awesome video though, please ignore my whining!

bunch of baby dolphins imo...

Congrats looks like a lot of good memories

player101 - Awesome video though, please ignore my whining!

Haha all good mate! The vid might make it look easy but trust me I've spent endless days and hundreds and hundreds of hours in rough as guts weather not catching a damn thing before finally scoring the big ones.

Just makes it that much sweeter when you finally do get that fish of a lifetime.... it always seems to happen when you least expect it as well!! Goodluck with your fishing mate, tight lines!

Trust - 

Very cool!  

I put some old videos of an Australian fishing show in the Hunting and Fishing Ground sub forum here, if you're interested:

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum_framed.posts&forum=107&thread=2084951&page=1&pc=8

They basically go way out into the Coral Sea and do pelagic and reef fishing in places where few people go. And they do a little exploring along the way.  I used to rent these videos when I was in college.  

Awesome, looks cool will definitely check it out I love a bit of classic old school footage!

Thanks bud

Sub Aquatic -

I just got back from spending a few crazy weeks fishing, diving and exploring the remote Montebello Islands off the northwest coast of Western Australia with some friends who run a charter boat out of Exmouth.

Just an amazing place, really wild and untouched still! I took a couple of GoPro cameras with me to record everything and just finished chopping together some of the highlights along with some other cool footage I had from fishing & diving Exmouth earlier in the year - really stoked with how the video turned out and thought some you guys might be keen on a look!! Check it in fullscreen & HD with the volume up if possible for full effect! 

Hey mate
I've done the montys before awesome place
Jealous of you been ten years since I was there
Looks like u had a ball
I remember we weren't aloud on the island for long because of the radiation
But we popped on long enough to hook a muddies
Love that place Phone Post 3.0

TBMC - 
Sub Aquatic -

Hey mate
Looks like u had a ball

Awesome man, yeah they say the radiation is at safe levels unless you're standing on the bomb site for extended periods but same as you we only really got on land to grab some mud crabs a couple of times and that was it! 

Did you see the big groupers hanging around inside the island bays back then? We had that monster one in the vid and 2 other smaller ones living under our boat all week at one of the anchorages, must have been well over 100+ years old! It stole a crayfish right out of my hands haha scared the shit out of me!

Pelagic might be some of the easiest to release

But they are often the tastiest IMO

If you're ever in south Florida, op. Let me know, I know our waters quite well and sold live googleye for a while Phone Post 3.0

Sub Aquatic -
TBMC - 
Sub Aquatic -

Hey mate
Looks like u had a ball

Awesome man, yeah they say the radiation is at safe levels unless you're standing on the bomb site for extended periods but same as you we only really got on land to grab some mud crabs a couple of times and that was it! 

Did you see the big groupers hanging around inside the island bays back then? We had that monster one in the vid and 2 other smaller ones living under our boat all week at one of the anchorages, must have been well over 100+ years old! It stole a crayfish right out of my hands haha scared the shit out of me!

Idk about where you live

But here since Jew fish (Goliath grouper) have become protected they have bounced back in population so greatly that they are becoming a nuisance to fisherman and divers alike Phone Post 3.0

Sub Aquatic -
player101 - Awesome video though, please ignore my whining!

Haha all good mate! The vid might make it look easy but trust me I've spent endless days and hundreds and hundreds of hours in rough as guts weather not catching a damn thing before finally scoring the big ones.

Just makes it that much sweeter when you finally do get that fish of a lifetime.... it always seems to happen when you least expect it as well!! Goodluck with your fishing mate, tight lines!

That's why it's fishing and not catching Phone Post 3.0

Auschwitzyoustoppickingonme - Pelagic might be some of the easiest to release

But they are often the tastiest IMO

If you're ever in south Florida, op. Let me know, I know our waters quite well and sold live googleye for a while Phone Post 3.0
Cheers man, will do! Could end up over that way at some stage as I do heaps of spearfishing over here and follow a lot of Cameron Kirkconnells adventures who I believe is based out of Florida! Have been thinking about joining one of his next Mexican tuna trips!

You're not wrong about a lot of pelagics tasting good out of the vid we kept the yellowfin tuna had heaps of sashimi was delicious! Also love the dolphin fish (dorado in the US?) and Spanish mackerel which I believe are similar to your King mackerel but grow a lot bigger?

The Spanish mackerel might be my favourite eating fish! We fillet them but leave a little on the backbone - cut the backbone into a decent size section add some spices and put it straight on a BBQ - almost like beef ribs I guess!

We call them 'Mack Backs', it's honestly the sweetest nicest section of the fish you'll ever taste yet most people throw it away! Phone Post 3.0