Sharpening Knives with whetstone

I have a Benchmade Mini Grip and a Kabar USA Short fixed blade. I have never sharpened them. The Benchmade is especially dull.

I don't know shit about this. Can anyone tell me what grit and type of whetstone that would be appropriate for both? Uses are just cutting tape, cardboard, fishing or camping.

Where is Dan?

Up

There's a lot more to whetstone sharpening than one would think. One common mistake is washing off the slurry which builds up. The slurry helps to sharpen faster due to the metal particles. One trick is to use a sharpie to color the blade edge to ensure you're evenly sharpening. Keep it wet and double the grit on ever new stone used. Start with at least 400, 800, 1500, 3000. 3k is probably the most anyone would generally go up to unless a pro.

Look up some YouTube videos. Knowing what type of bevel is important.

Even if the stone is brand new, it may not be truly flat. Always flatten your stone before using. You can simply draw some grid lines on it with a pencil and use a lower grit stone to rub against it until all the lines are gone and it should be flat. Pour some water over it to see if it pools in any area.

Some use water some use oil. Do not mistake the two, you will ruin a water stone with oils.

If you currently do not have any stones, you can use the bottom of a ceramic coffee mug to get an edge.

Any recs on the honda civic of whetstones? What grit is appropriate for a newbie?

400 to shape the bevel V, then double the grits for each new stone. Naniwa, Norton, Shapton are all good stones... But their makeup, use and maintenance are different in nature.

King whetstone's are decent and cost effective for beginners.

Upperdog - King whetstone's are decent and cost effective for beginners.

Thank you, yes I see 1000/6000 grit on Amazon for $28. I hope I don't fuck up my mini grip lol!

Go buy a cheap knife and practice. Hell, practice on the kitchen cutlery. Its a very good possibility your going to screw up your nice knives the first couple of times. 

baj54 - 

Go buy a cheap knife and practice. Hell, practice on the kitchen cutlery. Its a very good possibility your going to screw up your nice knives the first couple of times. 

Is it that easy to damage the knife?

Just mail it into benchmade and get that shit sharpened like a gentleman  

Ur gonna fuck it up anyways

1 Like

I start my rough sharpening on the sidewalk.  Works every time!