shields dominated mayhem...y are ppl crying?

people are butt hurt because mayhem lost

it wasnt lay n pray...lay n pray is sitting in guard doing body body head...shields passed mayhems guard immediately every time and either took side control, mount or back...mayhem is real good on the ground...you cant go crazy with risks on the ground and expect to beat him..it was basically a bad matchup if you wanted an exciting fight

Shields stunk that fight up. Three rounds may have been tolerable but five rounds of that boring shit was enough for me not to want to see him anywhere but on the undercard of future events.

If anyone wants him , that is.

japetto - Because Mayhem is their justification for watching MTV.

People are crying because it was a dry fight. Yes great position by both fighters and yes Shields did dominate by far, however takedown, control and chip away at him does not make an exciting fight. Posture up and drop shots or sub attempts to keep things going. Yes it was technical but its the same reason the UFC dropped Linland. Even though he is great fighter his style did not make for great tv. People shouldn't be crying for the price though.

I hated that fight, but its up to Mayhem to do something if he doesn't want to be held down.

my problem is the bell having probably saved him, he did do a good job of position but did abseloutely nothing with that, no damage and Mayhem was never in real danger, as the fight wore on it seemed Mayhem could simply not be subbed.

Hold til Cold.

palerider101 - Shields  dominated in hugging it out

Actually Mayhem dominated by doing next to nothing. Typical lazy BJJer.

Empire - neither did mayhem.

so the rear naked choke that was about to end it when the bell rang for the end of the round saving shields' ass wasn't an attempted finish?

...because there are a lot of Mahem Monkeys, appropriately named.

blame the matchmakers...this fight had a 3% chance of being exciting..both guys are primarily bjj guys and usually when there are 2 bjj guys the fight is not that dynamic...yes there are exceptions to the rule, but that is the rule

bismanfightclub - I thought it was a good decision, but not an impressive win for Shields.  I don't know why people are so butt-hurt by people pointing out it wasn't an imprssive win.

he dominated mayhem who is a top fighter in a weightclass above his natural weightclass...how is that not impressive

imo when people are too good at defending subs from bad positions, its time to pound em silly

Because he was saved by the bell.

if it was a grappling match.. shields would have won 220-7. 100% total domination on the ground. yes boring to regular fan but if you do train any bjj or wrestle you know that was a solid display of domination on the ground.

I'm sure most of you Jake Shields fans would love to hug it out with for 5 rounds like he did with Mayhem..

Shields game plan was good enough to win but it was boring.. He didn't do anything with his dominate positions. He barely tried anything with his dominate positions either. He played it so safe it which made it real boring..

bismanfightclub - 
goku - 
bismanfightclub - I thought it was a good decision, but not an impressive win for Shields.  I don't know why people are so butt-hurt by people pointing out it wasn't an imprssive win.

he dominated mayhem who is a top fighter in a weightclass above his natural weightclass...how is that not impressive

LOL, really you need this explained to you?  1.  As so many people on the UG whine about, he didn't finish the fight.  2.  He never had mayhem hurt, or in any real danger of submitting.  3.  He almost got finished by mayhem and was saved by the bell.  If this had been the exact same fight, only Guida doing the one laying on top of mayhem, people would be screaming for him to be cut, but because everybody is in love with shields it is all of a sudden an impressive domination?  Hardly.

u dont even trane do u?

"If this had been the exact same fight, only Guida doing the one laying on top of mayhem, people would be screaming for him to be cut, but because everybody is in love with shields it is all of a sudden an impressive domination?  Hardly."

QUOTE OF THE FUCKING WEEK

I don't get the Guida comparisons. Guida beat Danzig and Nate not by getting takedowns and getting mount and taking their backs at will, etc, as Shields did to Mayhem. He won because he clung to them standing and tried to get them to the ground but mostly failed, but because he initiated the clinch and had them against the fence, the rounds went to him rather than the guy defending (successfully) the takedowns.

Shields dominated the wrestling and grappling. Guida in those fights hardly even got any takedowns, and when he did they got right back up. He never had control on the ground, never got to any advantageous positions.