Shields hate is comical

Pilot201 - 
nyhcloyalty - Boo-hoo, he didn't finish Mayhem. He's still on a 13 fight win streak, finishing his last 8 fights before Mayhem, including names like Robbie Lawler, Paul Daley, Nick Thompson, Mike Pyle, and Charuto. AND he's fighting at a weight class above because he's beaten everyone at 170lbs outside of the UFC.

Settle down CBS newbs, Jake Shields is the truth.

LOL at anyone with a start date of 06 calling someone a noob.

Seriously man, going after a join date? 

nyhcloyalty - 
BIGWHITESEXY -  NO ONE RESPECTS LAY AND PRAY................

BWS, you don't know your dick from a doorknob if you think that was LNP!

Lots of blanketing, IMO.

I like the aggressive jiu-jitsu, but towards the end, it was takedown and blanket Miller time.  He did what he had to do to win, but lets not get crazy here.

The difference between a guy like GSP is the explosion and vicious ground and pound.  

BIGWHITESEXY -  I WILL TELL YOU WHY IT WAS LAY AND PRAY.................SHIELDS WAS DOING HIS BEST TO JUST HOLD MILLER DOWN NOT THROWING ANY SHOTS AND JUST BATTLING FOR POSITION THE WHOLE NIGHT.  HE DID NOTHING TO TRY AND END THE FIGHT................ WITH MILLERS CONTINUOUS STRUGGLING HE KEPT GETTING OUT OF SHIELDS BLANKET TACTICS, WAS THROWING SHOTS AND DAMN NEAR ENDED THE FIGHT..............................END OF STORY.

I LIKE SHIELDS BUT ALL HE DID WAS TRY AND STAY ON TOP POSITION AND HOLD MILLER THERE.

I AM AFRAID NOT MY CORPULENT AMIGO!

PASSING GUARD AT WILL AND TAKING THE BACK AT WILL IS NOT "LAY AND PRAY". MILLER SHOULD LEARN SOME TAKE DOWN DEFENSE OTHER THEN BEGGING THE REF FOR A STAND UP.

nyhcloyalty - Boo-hoo, he didn't finish Mayhem. He's still on a 13 fight win streak, finishing his last 8 fights before Mayhem, including names like Robbie Lawler, Paul Daley, Nick Thompson, Mike Pyle, and Charuto. AND he's fighting at a weight class above because he's beaten everyone at 170lbs outside of the UFC.

He is the undisputed king of the "B" class fighters, he would be in big trouble in the UFC. Definitely not top 5 in the UFC, maybe not even top 10.

GaymidaGaydan - 
BIGWHITESEXY -  I WILL TELL YOU WHY IT WAS LAY AND PRAY.................SHIELDS WAS DOING HIS BEST TO JUST HOLD MILLER DOWN NOT THROWING ANY SHOTS AND JUST BATTLING FOR POSITION THE WHOLE NIGHT.  HE DID NOTHING TO TRY AND END THE FIGHT................ WITH MILLERS CONTINUOUS STRUGGLING HE KEPT GETTING OUT OF SHIELDS BLANKET TACTICS, WAS THROWING SHOTS AND DAMN NEAR ENDED THE FIGHT..............................END OF STORY.

I LIKE SHIELDS BUT ALL HE DID WAS TRY AND STAY ON TOP POSITION AND HOLD MILLER THERE.

I AM AFRAID NOT MY CORPULENT AMIGO!

PASSING GUARD AT WILL AND TAKING THE BACK AT WILL IS NOT "LAY AND PRAY". MILLER SHOULD LEARN SOME TAKE DOWN DEFENSE OTHER THEN BEGGING THE REF FOR A STAND UP.

Who was seconds away fom getting choked out?

Fast-paced technical transitions are my favorite part of the sport to watch. You have to be so well trained, you're pretty much on auto-pilot to pull them off successfully. Shields was like that.

I don't care if he doesn't stand and strike much. That's OK, it's not for everyone. But please, Jake, incorporate some striking on the ground.

"He just won a title and they wouldn't even give him a post-fight interview... why? Because his performance was boring."

I think it's because they were already at the end of the broadcast slot and wanted to get the Fedor fight in ASAP.

he got on a huge stage 

lost many fans he already had

and let those that didnt ever hear of him think that he is boring and doesnt try to finish fights

not comical

kind of sad 

The top 170# would give him fits:

GSP
Fitch
Alves

I don't think Jake would beat GSP, but I'd still root for him against GSP. 

Regardless of whether you agree the fight was a technical chess match it was equally Miller's responsibility to bring a defense to those single leg take downs Shields was nailing all night.
Don't get me wrong, I am a Mayhem fan and wanted him to win but the very second he knew who he was fighting he should have been working on take down defenses or at the very least have been ready to throw a knee into shields face when he was coming in. There would have been no need for any striking training because anyone with a functioning brain could see what Shields was gonna do a year before the fight.
Call it what you want but Shields dominated that fight. Regardless of the method his work ethic and strategy was superior. Its great to have exciting stand and bang fights but the one with the better strategy was shields. He knew his opponents strengths and weaknesses and exploited them for the easy decision. At the end of the day he deserved the win.

" Definitely not top 5 in the UFC, maybe not even top 10."

Diego was and Fitch is top 5 or better in the division, both are almost entirely grappling based, and Shields has outwrestled and outgrappled both of them easily. He already submitted Paul Daley who just beat one of the top contenders, he already beat Condit who is or is expected to be a contender.

So lol @ "maybe not even top 10". I would expect him to be top 5.

couldn't say it better, the shields hate is just by people who are miller fans or people never liked jake. he always gets hate after each fight and you know what? he still wins :)

also if you think the fight was lay and pray, just watch antonio mckee fight. passing to mount and taking your oppenents back is not lay and pray.

Jake spoiled you cry babies with all the previous submissions finishes but Champions win the close games too.

I don't hate Shields, while his grappling was great his inability to inflict damage in totally dominate positions spoke volumes.  He would get housed in the UFC, he needs to stay where he is at.

I don't have a problem with shields or the way he fights... i think he is quite talented (have him as the #2 WW in the world) but i think it was a tactical error by coker to put this fight on the CBS card, it would have been better suited to being on showtime....

Shields is who we thought he was and this fight went the way many thought it would with Shields not having much of a chance of finishing Mayhem and necessitating a grind it out strategy... that is a valid strategy, but not one that i would put forth for a network debut for my company. five rounds of positional grappling is fine and dandy, but it isn't something that will translate well to the masses...

Shields didnt LnP he was very active.

Sadly he wasnt trying to finish either though.

I think the term for it would be:

Position Grappling

He had very few legitimate attempts to finish and was simply scoring points.

VEry impressive display of skill but honestly I was disappointed with the game plan and he doesnt make a very exciting champ to watch.

Boot

nyhcloyalty - 
Pilot201 - 

LOL at anyone with a start date of 06 calling someone a noob.

Seriously man, going after a join date? 

um seriously man, dropping the "noob" line because people have a different opinion then you, yeah.

orcus -  " Definitely not top 5 in the UFC, maybe not even top 10."

Diego was and Fitch is top 5 or better in the division, both are almost entirely grappling based, and Shields has outwrestled and outgrappled both of them easily. He already submitted Paul Daley who just beat one of the top contenders, he already beat Condit who is or is expected to be a contender.

So lol @ "maybe not even top 10". I would expect him to be top 5.

Shields swept and out grappled Fitch, but he certainly did not "out wrestle" Fitch.  I take it you are refferring to that grappling video, which means about as much to the sport of mma as Leo Santos's armbar over GSP.  While Fitch is primarily grappling based, mma grappling involving strikes is a whole new game, and I think Fitch would be as inclined as he has ever been to stand against Shields.  It was Fitch's game plan to stand with GSP for fuck sakes.  Fitch/Shields is a toss up and yes Shileds would be top 5 in the UFC.

He just blanketed Mayhem. He won a sport JJ fight, and that's about it. He's boring, and I never want to see him fight again if that's how he normally performs.