Shirtless Americans vs Skinnier countries (pics)

Shirtless Americans Next To People From Skinnier Countries Show How Fat We Are

http://e.fastcompany.net/multisite_files/fastcompany/imagecache/inline-large/inline/2013/10/3019154-inline-all-countries-angle-captions.jpg

Nothing says you've got a few pounds to lose like looking in the mirror. Here, an artist holds up a mirror to America's expanding waist line.

The obesity crisis is hard to visualize. There are maps, sure, and lots of statistics. But what does it really mean when we say that the average middle-aged man in the U.S. has a BMI (Body Mass Index) of 29, while in Japan, a 23.7?

Artist and researcher Nickolay Lamm, the man behind this visualization of New York City's income inequality, came up with a simple yet effective way to illustrate the differences in obesity between the U.S. and other, healthier countries: digital images of average middle-aged men standing next to each other.

Lamm's latest project compares BMI (and height and waist measurements) of men from the U.S, Japan, the Netherlands, and France, all based on government data from each of the countries. He says he consulted with Matthew P. Reed, "a research professor at the University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute and an expert on body shape measurement," to ensure the renderings were accurate.

I'm honestly surprised its only that bad.

we have 350 million people of extremely varied ethnic/genetic backgrounds....

I honestly think that the obesity argument is blown way out of proportion. I live in KS and I would say that maybe 1 out of every 30 people I meet are fat. 

At least we have better shoulders and calves!

Dirty Dick Slater - http://blogs.plos.org/obesitypanacea/2012/02/10/why-the-body-mass-index-bmi-is-a-poor-measure-of-your-health/

BMI is a very bad measure of health, but the percentage of fat versus total body weight is not.

So according to this display all white men look terrible in briefs, but the ones in America look even more terrible.

*noted*

RockTheVote - 

were gonna have to fix this if we want to stop the mass exodus of american citizens trying to leave our country illegally.

you may have meant this as a joke, but people are renouncing their citizenship at a record pace, and the government is working on laws to make it more difficult.

...and they are all without genetalia?

pickledsoylentgreen80cent - 

I honestly think that the obesity argument is blown way out of proportion. I live in KS and I would say that maybe 1 out of every 30 people I meet are fat. 

nearly 20 of them were fat, you just don't know what fat looks like.

CDarwin - 

...and they are all without genetalia?

BEEP

" we have 350 million fatasses of extremely varied ethnic/genetic backgrounds...."

fixed

YumYumPandaburger - 
Dirty Dick Slater - http://blogs.plos.org/obesitypanacea/2012/02/10/why-the-body-mass-index-bmi-is-a-poor-measure-of-your-health/

BMI is a very bad measure of health, but the percentage of fat versus total body weight is not.

On an individual level, yes.

But, if people of the same height weigh more and more each decade in a population of hundreds of millions - you can be pretty certain this is due to increase in body fat.

BMI works pretty well for those purposes. 

I live in Nj and have on several occasion sat back in the mall or other place and just watched people walk by. Its easy to see that the majority of people are not in shape. Even when wearing regular clothes you can tell most people are carrying too much fat. That doesn't even account for the skinny weak people. They aren't healthy either.

Reality is the excess weight is really bad. Go into Walmart. See the people about 40 or so in those scooters for no apparent reason. Costs us all a fortune in extra medical expenses. Compare Americans now to in 1950. We look terrible. It is all about choices. My friends nearly all train and stay in shape. We range from 30 to 45. But I see a lot of other people in my age range give up. Much more impressed with a fit 45 year old woman than a lazy 27 year old who will soon be pushing 160lbs and talks about her friend's eating disorder, which is something I overhear every so often. Phone Post 3.0

I like the body fat representations that are hanging up at my gym.

Here's women:

http://www.builtlean.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/body-fat-percentage-women.jpg

And men:

http://www.builtlean.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/body-fat-percentage-men.jpg

Blue help please!

CDarwin - 
YumYumPandaburger - 

On an individual level, yes.

But, if people of the same height weigh more and more each decade in a population of hundreds of millions - you can be pretty certain this is due to increase in body fat.

BMI works pretty well for those purposes. 

this. Despite the shortcomings of using BMI to measure individual health, unless one can argue that americans have had a sudden increase in bone density or have become bodybuilders en masse, the only real explanation for a broad trend like this is that we are becoming fatter as a nation.

America has the extremes. Fatties who eat all the time, and people in great shape who lift and go to the gym every day.

The rest of the world just has a bunch of normal people, who don't eat much, and never hit the gym.

InnerTubeCaptain -
Pura Vida - 
pickledsoylentgreen80cent - 

nearly 20 of them were fat, you just don't know what fat looks like.

This man is correct. Most people have no clue what fat looks like anymore. You picture a person that is 75 pounds over weight but the reality is that what is assumed as a normal looking person today is at least 20 pounds over weight.

I have this argument with the guys in denail at work. They insist if they lose 20 pounds, theyll look like aids victims. However, theyre at least 30 pounds over. I tell them i weigh 185 pounds and they say im lying because im taller than them yet they over 200. And they have little muscle. They look like a bar of soap with limbs.
I disagree. I will agree that 20 of them may have been technically overweight but I dont consider that fat. They are stocky but lack any sort of a pudge or belly fat. Allot of people around here work on farms and good luck doing a job like that when you're a fast ass. Phone Post 3.0