Shogun returns vs Sam Alvey

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1177381144481939456?s=20

Very winnable fight for Shogun. 

3 Likes
Thai Dye -

Very winnable fight for Shogun. 

But why? Cool for smiley ... but damn...

Happy to see Shogun back again! I really hope Dana treats Shogun like Forrest and gives Shogun a great job with the UFC for life. No other legend has been fighting the "next big prospect" again and again. Shogun has never declined a fight no matter how disadvantageous it was for him. What a fucking warrior. Im just glad that Shogun doesnt have to fight another big prospect again. Anthony Smith and Tyson Pedro back to back was brutal. Keep in mind Corey Anderson was another prospect who tried to build his name off Shogun and Shogun schooled him. I was just getting tired of seeing Shogun made into a "gatekeeper" to the "next big thing." Shogun is a legend who's earned the right to pick all his fights. Shogun has fought all the big prospects and has won his fair share of those fights. If Shogun beats Alvey, please let's start seeing Shogun in all time legend fights now. Shogun vs Anderson would be great. Whether you like or dislike Shogun, its fucking awesome to see 1 of the all time GOATS in Shogun still competing and still competing well. I will never forget when Shogun went on that run against Liddell and Machida. If Shogun could win the belt again it would be a dream come true for a lot of the old fans

3 Likes

I hope he doesn't need the money. 

Easy win for shogun 

Shogun should retire imo. 

3 Likes
ConorWinsTheRematch -

Happy to see Shogun back again! I really hope Dana treats Shogun like Forrest and gives Shogun a great job with the UFC for life. No other legend has been fighting the "next big prospect" again and again. Shogun has never declined a fight no matter how disadvantageous it was for him. What a fucking warrior. Im just glad that Shogun doesnt have to fight another big prospect again. Anthony Smith and Tyson Pedro back to back was brutal. Keep in mind Corey Anderson was another prospect who tried to build his name off Shogun and Shogun schooled him. I was just getting tired of seeing Shogun made into a "gatekeeper" to the "next big thing." Shogun is a legend who's earned the right to pick all his fights. Shogun has fought all the big prospects and has won his fair share of those fights. If Shogun beats Alvey, please let's start seeing Shogun in all time legend fights now. Shogun vs Anderson would be great. Whether you like or dislike Shogun, its fucking awesome to see 1 of the all time GOATS in Shogun still competing and still competing well. I will never forget when Shogun went on that run against Liddell and Machida. If Shogun could win the belt again it would be a dream come true for a lot of the old fans

excellent post!  It would be amazing to see a legendary warrior like Shogun make another run.  People keep counting Shogun out, like in his last fight with Tyson Pedro, but he continues to show he has something left in the tank.

War Shogun!

1 Like
PelosiesPanties -
Throwin'Knuckles -

A win here def earns Shogun a shot at the title. Sam is a tough dude. Always smiling. That alone is top 5 stuff.

GTFO @ a title shot! That's long gone! You idiots don't give a shit how brain dead he is or will be. He shouldn't be fighting at all ffs. 

Has won 4 of his last 5 fights. Only loss coming to Anthony Smith who fought for the title. Decisive win over current top 5 Corey Anderson. Shogun is older for sure, but this narrative that hes some "BJ Penn" is ridiculous. In fact, in terms of fight IQ Shogun has never been better. The difference between other legends and Shogun is that Shogun never stays stagnate. He went to Freddie Roach to learn. He will go train his BJJ with Maia. He will seek new partners and new training. Considering Shogun is a legend who's already done it all you have to appreciate Shogun's growth mind set. Hes always trying to adapt, evolve and improve. Theres a reason Shogun is 4-1 in his last 5. Before the Smith fight there were talks of Shogun vs DC for the title. Let's put a little bit of respect on the name of an all time legend

2 Likes
ConorWinsTheRematch - 

What a great post! Kudos! I agree muchly. I very much enjoyed this breakdown of Shoguns career by you, we all enjoy your breakdowns and congratulate you on this particular masterpiece. 

2 Likes

He's 37. I thought he was older?! Probably because he has been at it for 18 years.

wish he had gotten into picogram usage to level the field against most of his UFC opponents

Amazing fighter...so skilled and so game

2 Likes

Shogun is the LHW goat i don't care what people say but he has the most impressive resume. He didn't fight a bunch of decaying 205ers & 185ers. Came back from injury like a beast

I hope he wins! He will 

3 Likes
Rambo John J -

wish he had gotten into picogram usage to level the field against most of his UFC opponents

He juiced in pride for sure. I think he quit when he came to the ufc. His physique was different in pride. 

Glad thiaguy got to pop in and offer an appraisal of Shogun.

2 Likes
Eskimo - 
Rambo John J -

He juiced in pride for sure. I think he quit when he came to the ufc. His physique was different in pride. 

yep

he followed the rules in both orgs

fought juicers row in Pride and in UFC

UFC just had/has legal juicers and weak testing

1 Like
ConorWinsTheRematch -

I wouldnt say he schooled Anderson in any way at all.

I thought Anderson clearly won that fight. And iirc most people had shogun losing.

This is a winnable fight for shogun....but also easily losable. I wouldnt be surprised if he gets KOd.

fade2007 - 
ConorWinsTheRematch -

I thought Anderson clearly won that fight. And iirc most people had shogun losing.

This is a winnable fight for shogun....but also easily losable. I wouldnt be surprised if he gets KOd.

he had Corey almost out twice

battered him

Cory landed more strikes, but they did zero damage...SHogun landed all teh effective strikes and almost ended the fight in two different rounds

fade2007 -
ConorWinsTheRematch -

You're trying to rewrite history. Everyone had Shogun winning. In fact I vividly remember there being an uproar about the fact Corey was gifted a split decision. The consensus was that he did nothing with wrestling and that Shogun CLEARL won the fight. You obviously dont know fighting. Shogun out struck the fuck out of Corey. It wasnt just the 2 knockdowns 

https://media.giphy.com/media/1wX9cGUjQHTgyjW2xW/giphy.gif

https://media.giphy.com/media/21JxVCPSVvGTgxuSfI/giphy.gif

Not only countering over his jab with rights^ but outjabbing him too with counter jabs \/

https://media.giphy.com/media/82YkLlthe7UfIw2xw7/giphy.gif

the Fight wasnt close at all. Shogun is always getting fucked over by judges. Even when he clearly wins, he only gets a split decision. Shogun is still very much at the top of the division when he brings his A game. Tyson Pedro is probably going on to he a serious contender and Shogun schooled him too

Match making is bizarre...why is Sam Alvey still in the UFC? He's so hard to watch as he's slow and just average..