Shogun To Leave Them In The Cage

Met him a couple times (10+ yrs ago) and got to hangout with him and his former manager Eduardo. I was surprised how small Shogun was.

Got a picture of Shogun choking me with an RNC while i held a “Fuck the UG” sign

I’ll miss watching him fight, can’t believe it’s been around 20 yrs already. Time sucks ass

3 Likes

Shogun winning Pride MWGP was the best MMA moment for me. After so many awesome fights and memories thank you Shogun still my favourite fighter ever!

2 Likes

I watched him fight live for the first time (only having heard he was a great ‘up-and-comer’) in IFC Global Domination a long time ago…

Now he is retiring I feel fucking old*…

*I am old…

3 Likes

Didn’t see the pokes live. Too far away

1 Like

Post it

1 Like

I posted it here years ago when this place wasn’t filled with as many shitbags. Not interested in sharing it here anymore.

There used to be more posts in that thread…pics are long lost from here…thankfully

Legend of the sport. Unfortunately, I don’t think we saw the best of him in the UFC. Some guys transitioned pretty well from Pride (Hendo, Rampage) and some didn’t quite recapture their glory days in Japan (CroCop, Shogun).

However, he did win UFC gold which was great to see, and even his worst fights were entertaining. Hope he retires in good shape and has made enough cash to live the good life.

1 Like

understood

Pride Never Die! Shogun is a legend and is my all time favorite fighter and it’s been a privilege to watch him fight!

6 Likes
1 Like

1 Like

Mauricio “Shogun” Rua is on the cusp of retirement.

UFC 283 on Jan. 21, 2023, marks the promotion’s return to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, where several of the sport’s top fighters from the country will throw down. Amongst them is the legendary Shogun who will make the walk one final time.
“It’s definitely my last fight,” Shogun told Combate (h/t MMA Junkie). “And I don’t put pressure on me anymore. My obligation is to give my best, and that’s what I think about.”

Shogun looks to snap a two-fight skid heading into his bout against Ihor Potieria. The former UFC and PRIDE FC Light Heavyweight champion last won in July 2020, earning a split decision against Antonio Rogerio Nogueira in their trilogy clash.

Mixed martial arts (MMA) fans couldn’t watch the sport without knowledge of Shogun’s presence in the mid to late 2000s. He became one of the most feared competitors on the planet over in Japan, fighting for PRIDE before coming stateside and capturing UFC gold in his infamous series with Lyoto Machida.
“I’m happy with this fight (versus Potieria) — it will be my farewell bout, and I’m happy it’s in my country, at home,” Shogun said. “I’m happy. I’m grateful to the UFC for being one of the pioneers in the UFC. I’m there for 15 years — there’s no one else for that long in the UFC. I’m grateful for everything.

“I’ve been fighting for 20 years, started really early, and have been fighting for many years at the highest level — since 2005 against the best,” he concluded. “So I’m a fulfilled man and grateful to God for everything I’ve accomplished in my career. Being that way, that makes me stop at the right time.”

1 Like

Shogun has never been in a boring fight. He needs to be in the hall of fame after his fight.

3 Likes

I’d it’s last fight. Make it winnable. I’d love to see shogun go out on top.

1 Like

Should be

1 Like

1 Like

No one likes to see their sports heroes age out. There’s a large swath of basketball fans who insist the last time they saw Michael Jordan don a basketball jersey was when he scored the winning jumper over Bryon Russell in 1998 to secure the Chicago Bulls their sixth title in eight years. Jordan’s years with the Washington Wizards doesn’t exist in their minds.

There is no sport more cruel to the heroes of yesteryear than MMA. Whereas Jordan would get crossed up by a younger player whom he would have schooled in his peak. He also gets a chance to answer back with a bucket in the very next play. In MMA, legends are getting KO’d and badly hurt when Father Time begins to catch up with them. Thus, MMA fans have learned hard lessons over the years, rarely celebrating a legend’s swan song as happy endings are a rarity.

UFC 283 marks the final chapter in the long and illustrious career of Mauricio Rua, better known as Shogun Rua. The UFC recognizes his decline as well as they are keeping him off the main card, allowing fans unable to fork up $80 for the main card to watch him one last time. Personally, Shogun’s last fight isn’t the reason to tune in to the prelims. Gregory Rodrigues has been a consistent violence machine and Gabriel Bonfim is one of the most hyped prospects to join the organization in the last little while. In other words, there’s reason to tune in if you don’t like the typical MMA ending to a career.

• For many, the last time they saw what they consider to be peak Shogun Rua was in 2007… 16 years ago when he beat Alistair Overeem. Shogun has remained an active fighter since that time, even winning the UFC Light Heavyweight title in 2010. In other words, the version of Shogun who won the UFC title isn’t considered prime Shogun. Injuries sapped Shogun of what made him so special and what we currently have is an aged legend who should have hung things up years ago. Now, he doesn’t have the explosion and power he used to. In fact, those factors have diminished so much that he doesn’t appear capable any longer of making up for that with the veteran savvy that only comes with years of experience. It isn’t so easy as to tell him to just retire either. Fighting is all he’s known for the entirety of his adult life and this is how he has made his living. The UFC is doing everything in their power to send off the legend on a good note by pitting him with Ihor Potieria. Potieria is a decent prospect at 205, but not one that looks like a future contender by any means. Regardless, he’s aggressive with his attack, throwing a swarm of punches and looking for takedowns. Given Shogun couldn’t stop the takedowns from Paul Craig, it isn’t hard to believe Potieria will put Shogun on his back. In other words, it’s plausible Shogun is so shot that he can’t score a win over Potieria. We occasionally get happy endings in MMA. That’s a rare occurrence. I’m not discounting a Shogun victory entirely, but history has never been kind to those at or near the end of their road in combat sports. Potieria via TKO of RD2
4 Likes

He is physically incapable of getting into good shape. I saw him today and was shocked, he looks bad. The head trauma is written all over his head and face.

God’s I hope he wins Saturday! One last time… War Shogun!

2 Likes