SHOOT!

I'd be down! Don't know much but looking forward to learning & having some fun. Just got me a stock bolt action in .308. Should be picking up a scope this month hopefully.

soon sarge. SOON

FCTV808 - soon sarge. SOON

In what....fukin geological time?

Badooooj - I'd be down! Don't know much but looking forward to learning & having some fun. Just got me a stock bolt action in .308. Should be picking up a scope this month hopefully.

Badooooj,

What kinda scope?

I'm helping out a young Marine I met this weekend and selling him a fixed-power 10X scope (SWFA Super Sniper)I haven't used in awhile for CHEAP to help him get started. If if falls through I can let you know and you can check it out.

Before you get a scope, I can offer advice because there are factors to consider.

Sgt loves his young Marines. Perv. Phone Post

Team HG and basic training or shaking off rust is a great opportunity. I hope guys take it.

I shoot 2x a year because I have to. Other than that I'm not really a gun guy.

When OGC opens their indoor range next month I'll be going there to keep sharp on my pistol skills though. Phone Post

If you're not busy with your young marine we should man date. I just hope your boy toy isn't the jealous type. I don't want any trouble. Phone Post

I actually prefer those older, experienced former Marines...;p

WAT!

pistol and AR (can rifle cals??) @ OGC!.....it'll only be 10yds but good enough for some doubles, triples,transitions ansd mag reloads

Sarge what bolt gun would you recommend for $300-500?

Alc, i dunno about 300-500 fren........if for hunt then savage no problem....possibly some remingtons, but if you wanna do some target shooting you gonna suffer without a thicker barrel shooting more than 3-5 shots strings without break. Anther issue is stock.......many cheaper models have correspondingly cheaper stocks. Issues such as flex, shifting in the stock, uneven contact, etc are gonna make consistancy a problem.,

I'm not up on current prices......but when i vet home ill lookup models i think would be good bases for target shooting

There are other options beside remmy and savage, but these two are common, easy parts, etc.

An AR is also good option, easy to use/learn, can be setup for precision or tactical, easy to maintain,etc.......entry precision model less 1k with the AR we can do iron sight training which is so often foolishly neglected by new/most shooters

Thanks for the advice Sarge. I thought maybe I could squeeze a bolt action in between my in-need-of purchases. What kind of rifles would you recommend for target shooting?

An AR is definitely in the works. I was thinking about getting one of the cheap sports models and building it up from there as my budget allows. That way at least I'll have a functioning gun while I am learning the mechanics and technology of it.

Right on Stu! I will certainly look into it.

When considering and AR pattern gun.... 

m4carbine.net/showthread.php

If going for a target precision platform, then gun will likely see much less intense use so accepting a different standard is not a problem as the end-goal is a specific level of accuracy for the $$.

Another point.....If going for a 16in. barrel carbine for handiness or "tacticool" points then I vote for a mid-length for less wear&tear for longevity.

For bolt, something like this...

savagearms.com/firearms/model/10FPSR

savagearms.com/firearms/model/10 PRECISION CARBINE

www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-sps-tactical.aspx

would be minimuns for target shooting

There are key points to consider when looking at finding a target/tactical rifle, but the reality is, if a rifleis capable of 1MOA accuracy....IT'S GOOD ENOUGH formost people. My rifles are capable of honest .5MOA. When I train, I'm capable of consistant sub-MOA, sometimes sub-.75MOA .....this mean CONSISTANT! This past mid-range shoot I managed only ~1.5MOA overall scoring :(  Ifmy numbers are correct (87.7% scoring)....28 of my 45 rounds were within 1MOA of my POA, only ~7 were witin .5MOA of my POA. So really, a 1MOA capable gun would be all I need :( A longtime agao when I was a decent shooter I shot a bone stock 700 PSS (.75 MOA gun) loaded with M118SP (~1MOA ammo) out to 800m RETS (like russian mannequins popup/down targets) and 1100m on some large metal tgts and solidly hit ALL targets.....what more do you really need?? And we doing this for fun, so more so...."what more do you need?" even for the coming alien invasion or micropocalypse :p

read this for great advice...

www.8541tactical.com/budget precision article.php

questions??

Is a 16in barrel legal in Hawaii? Technically isn't it a long gun? and I don't  mind my guns being tacticool as I probably will never enter any competitions, as long they work for the impending invasions. 

OK Let me get back to you....I'm still de-coding the last paragraph ; ) no really.

16in is legal minimum length.

OGC has Spike Tactical w/ 16in carbine-length gas for <$900.....But remember what I recommended about a mid-length??

Alc,

MOA =~1in/100yds, ~2in/200yds, etc.

POA is point-of-aim

AND YOU BETTER COMPETE....HG RFILE TEAM MUFUKA!

lol thanks for the explanation Sarge, just got done reading about MOA. Found a simple equation too if anyone's interested:

1MOA (inches) = distance (yards) / 95.49 (1MOA is actually a little >1in but everyone rounds it off)

At 50 yards, 1 MOA is 0.52 inches

At 75 yards, 1 MOA is 0.79 inches

At 150 yards, 1 MOA is 1.57 inches

At 250 yards, 1 MOA is 2.62 inches

Sarge when what kinds of wear and tear will the 16in barrel have compared to a medium length barrel? 

a "true" MOA is 1.046 or some such most people and manufacturers use IPHY- incehes perhundred yards.

It's not the barrel that matters, it's the length of the gas tube. A carbine system is shorter and harder on the bolt. a "middy" makes it a little easier on the bolt. A 14.5in barrel is illegal here so why go with an M4 length gas system anyway?

Sgt. Slaphead - a "true" MOA is 1.046 or some such most people and manufacturers use IPHY- incehes perhundred yards.

I read it wrong, so 1MOA is 1.046 inches on one minute of angle on a 100yd radius. got it.

Sgt. Slaphead -  not the barrel that matters, it's the length of the gas tube. A carbine system is shorter and harder on the bolt. a "middy" makes it a little easier on the bolt. A 14.5in barrel is illegal here so why go with an M4 length gas system anyway?

I see. so why would anyone buy a gas tube that's not as tough as a "middy"?

TheAlchemist - 
Sgt. Slaphead - a "true" MOA is 1.046 or some such most people and manufacturers use IPHY- incehes perhundred yards.

I read it wrong, so 1MOA is 1.046 inches on one minute of angle on a 100yd radius. got it.

Sgt. Slaphead -  not the barrel that matters, it's the length of the gas tube. A carbine system is shorter and harder on the bolt. a "middy" makes it a little easier on the bolt. A 14.5in barrel is illegal here so why go with an M4 length gas system anyway?

I see. so why would anyone buy a gas tube that's not as tough as a "middy"?

Tube is just longer not tougher, bolt gets less pressure. Colt doesn't make a middy.Their civie/non-class3 M4 is basically their M4 platform with a 16in barrel. I think middies are rather newish....I'm not up on dates, I'm just now getting back into ARs after a long hiatus. Bushmaster has had a "Dissapator" around since the 90s IIRC, it's a shorter barrel with loger gas tube hidden under full-size handguards giving normal sight radius