Shot rifle first time and its hard as shiitt

Took my freshly out of DROS Savage to the 100yd range today in San Leandro. Attempted to sight in the scope but good luck doing that with zero rifle experience!!

Shit was much harder than I expected. Found a couple guys that were giving me some tips but the range closed before I got more than 15 rounds down range. Really fun, can't wait to get better. Hoping to catch those guys again next time I stop by.

Any tips or youtube videos to watch? I feel like I've seen them all but I have so much to learn

Do not aim with your hand; he who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father. Aim with your eye.

Do not shoot with your hand; he who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father. Shoot with your mind. Phone Post 3.0

First of all,friend, there's no one up there shooting back at you. Second, I found most men aren't willing, they bat an eye, or draw a breath before they shoot. I won't.

It's addicting. Phone Post 3.0

theres a rifle/long gun thread that has a lot of good tips. Phone Post 3.0

SERIOUSLY - Ryan Cleckner / NSSF channel is the best for your needs. He has like 10 vids or something...

with a bolt action, pull the bolt and look down the barrel - move gun/adjust bags around until you are on target..that gets you on paper and should only need 1 or 2 adjustments from there.

If not a bolt .. look for the splash of dirt and walk it in..

I look for a descent size rock around 25-50 yards away and aim for it. then I notice where the dirt splashs when i impact it. keep adjust scope until i hot the rock.. that gets me on paper so i can adjust from there

having a vise is best because theres no movement...other than that, you got have a consistent firing position

Watch those vid's he'll get you on target quickly

for later

MarkRobinson - I do not aim with your hand; he who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father. I aim with your eye.

I do not shoot with your hand; he who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father. I shoot with your mind. Phone Post 3.0
Vu Phone Post 3.0

OP, did you bore sight the scope first or just slap it on and go to the range? Phone Post 3.0

Make sure you have a SIMMONS scope and not a SNOWWIS.

Barbasol OOTFFTT - OP, did you bore sight the scope first or just slap it on and go to the range? Phone Post 3.0
Bore sight is a must. I just bought a scope for my new 270 at Bass Pro Shops and had them bore sight it, but I bought my own just in case.
Good thing I did, because it was way off.
I bore sighted at 25yds, then tried at 100yds. I was still shooting way high, not even on paper yet. I got it close to bullseye by the time I ran out of ammo.
I will return next week to continue. This is my first experience with sighting in a scope as well. Phone Post 3.0

Gotta start somewhere.

Carry on. Phone Post 3.0

San Leandro OG'er checking in

tikmovado - Bore site at 100yds.
Your bore sight laser must be way better than mine. I couldn't see mine at 50 yds.
I do shoot at an outdoor range though. Phone Post 3.0

Guys!

Some issues I had

1. I couldnt see where my rounds were hitting on the paper target. Probably because of the target itself. Need one of those high contrast green targets I saw everyone else using

2. After a shot the recoil was too much to keep my eye on the target. Is that normal?

3. followed all the basics that I picked up from videos and showed the guys my target. They said it was a good job for first time shooting. Happy about that!

4. San Leandro OG'ers! Woot!

Here is a picture of my target
http://imgur.com/e9o3qC2

Bore Sighting the rifle at 100yrds basically means you dont need to fire the rifle to zero in the scope correct? Might have to invest in one myself if that is the case. Would be great to practice on equipment I knew for sure was zeroed in properly.

Any bay area shooters want to help me at the range? :)

On number 2 from my previous post... I don't have a bipod and used this plastic block to rest the front end of the rifle on to shoot. Didn't have bags too.

After a few shots, I can tell the rifle hopped off the rest and bounced back onto it. Will a bipod prevent this or is that still possible with a bipod?

One thing that helped me was shooting 3 shots at a time, then using a highly visible marker on the target after each 3 shots to track where I was landing.

Obviously easier if there arent a lot of people at the range.

Grab a solid pair of binoculars as well. Phone Post 3.0

Yes, tracking my shots was one of the things that was surprisingly hard to do with the equipment I had. I can't afford a good pair of binoculars but hoping to ether rent on next time and/or get a better type of paper targets. Thanks man Phone Post 3.0

sreiter - SERIOUSLY - Ryan Cleckner / NSSF channel is the best for your needs. He has like 10 vids or something...

with a bolt action, pull the bolt and look down the barrel - move gun/adjust bags around until you are on target..that gets you on paper and should only need 1 or 2 adjustments from there.

If not a bolt .. look for the splash of dirt and walk it in..

I look for a descent size rock around 25-50 yards away and aim for it. then I notice where the dirt splashs when i impact it. keep adjust scope until i hot the rock.. that gets me on paper so i can adjust from there

having a vise is best because theres no movement...other than that, you got have a consistent firing position

Watch those vid's he'll get you on target quickly

Agreed.

I just got into hunting last year and the Ryan Cleckner videos are awesome!