Should an oponnant only be considered downed

If they have 1 or more knees on the ground? Maybe scrap the hands altogether in regards to being considered a downed opponent ? 

Curloftheburl -

If they have 1 or more knees on the ground? Maybe scrap the hands altogether in regards to being considered a downed opponent ? 

Yes. I like this idea. 

Yeh just seems like it'll be really hard for the refs to tell if the finger tips are still touching the ground or not, especially in the heat of the moment   Unless something changes I think will have a lot more gegard/weidman occurances

Agreed, scrap the hands.

That is the rule currently. 

^ my bad. 

Missied the " scrap the hands " part. 

there's nothing worse than these awkward positions where a guy has completely exposed himself and should be punished to change position with a good knee to the head. A guy shoots in sloppy. He's got a shit hold of an ankle and is basically flattening out. That dude needs blasted in the head. See Dan Hendo v Bustamante. The only knees that should even be considered illegal is if a fighter has his back on the canvas. Even that is stupid. It just forces guys to change positions. 

Herb dean said it best.

"just having a hand down doesn't make him downed to me. he has to be supporting weight. I wouldn't not have called that a downed opponent"

I disagree! It should be worse.. being downed meaning that you are in a submissive position. You aren't there to get out of a position, you are there cause you are in a bad position.

downed opponent = must be on both knees and palm of your hands touching the floor.

if they are not, you can be kneed and kicked to the face.. either pull guard, defend yourself or get up.

nasthefad -

I disagree! It should be worse.. being downed meaning that you are in a submissive position. You aren't there to get out of a position, you are there cause you are in a bad position.

downed opponent = must be on both knees and palm of your hands touching the floor.

if they are not, you can be kneed and kicked to the face.. either pull guard, defend yourself or get up.

This is definitely better than the current rule. Plus it makes it quite obvious if you are "downed"

not down

http://meditsina.com/galery/2016_01/med_20160126213136.jpg

Just make it butt or chest on floor is downed

Should be Pride rules imo. But if we have to have that dumb rule in some form, at least scrap the hands like you said OP.

Yeah, silly.

Knees everywhere should be legal.  Game changing and does nothing but move the action forward.

wanna lay in half guard or just kinda take a break if your opponent moves to side control?  Just hold your opponent down in north south?

allow knees everywhere and the whole game changes.

Pride allowed it for years.

remember all those guys killed, crippled or maimed?

yeah.  Me neither.

Should only be considered down if you dont have both soles of your feet on the ground, hands should even come into it.

donkypunch55 -

Yeah, silly.

Knees everywhere should be legal.  Game changing and does nothing but move the action forward.

wanna lay in half guard or just kinda take a break if your opponent moves to side control?  Just hold your opponent down in north south?

allow knees everywhere and the whole game changes.

Pride allowed it for years.

remember all those guys killed, crippled or maimed?

yeah.  Me neither.

100%

if we are stuck with pussified rules, the hands thing should be gone because people ONLY use it to game the system in most positions, see Moose vs Weidman for example.

I think it should be both knees on the ground minimum to be illegal (sorry Rich), but even then.....and for fucks sake upkicks should be legal! 

ranier wolfcastle -

not down

http://meditsina.com/galery/2016_01/med_20160126213136.jpg

LOL

EckY - Should only be considered down if you dont have both soles of your feet on the ground, hands should even come into it.

That's a really obvious but interesting take on it. 

It certainly would make things easier to decern. 

bungee up -
EckY - Should only be considered down if you dont have both soles of your feet on the ground, hands should even come into it.

That's a really obvious but interesting take on it. 

It certainly would make things easier to decern. 

Good in spirit of the rule, but everytime a step is taken or a kick/knee is thrown 1 foot comes off the floor.

only when they are flat on their back - otherwise they can avoid strikes.