Should Celebrity BJJ Award Belts?

Ed O’Neil was a hell of an athlete. He was a line backer for the mid 1970s Steelers. Though he wasnt a starter, he clearly was tough and athletic

2 Likes

From another thread from 2020:

Thought of this video reading people talking about how legit and what a beast Kutcher is. He does not move well.

1 Like

For a movie star he’s charging, probably, $500-1k for a private and some photo ops he’ll make it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

4 touchdowns in a single game.

3 Likes

polk high

2 Likes

Sure he isn’t moving like a pro, but to be fair he’s rolling with Craig Jones (a pro) and I think Craig would make most non-world level opponents look pretty ordinary. Also isn’t he around 45 yrs old now?

1 Like

Kutcher moves very goofy

2 Likes

Kutcher’s purple belt is like when Scarlett Johansson got a record deal

1 Like

I think he was at Steelers training camp. Didn’t make official roster from what I remember.

Guy Ritchie is legit, took regular night classes at Renzo’s

1 Like

2001 headline: Mike Tyson Beaten and Buttfucked by Blue Belt With 6 Months Sprawl Training!!!

2022: Tyson Back In Jail After Buttfucking Entire Dojo Of Brown Belts!!!

3 Likes

There seems to be a very bleak outlook on this. I can’t imagine an instructor giving a belt that wasn’t earned. I know it happens but damn

In this interview Rigan Machado says his first celebrity student (aside from Chuck Norris) was Ashton Kutcher. He says that Ashton Kutcher (he always says his full name) opened a lot of doors for him regarding getting into training people for movies and other celebrities. Also that he is a very impressive business man.

He also says that his main impetus for celebrity training was the lack of parking spaces at his new Beverley Hills gym. This meant he needed a handful of “big” clients rather than 100 students.

It’s a cool interview.

Elvis was a blackbelt. So was Emmanuel Lewis. We should go with the assumption that any celebrity of millionaire probably bought his belt. Sure some didn’t, but most did. As long as this is understood there is no big issue.
I know bjjers that said “I was tired of training badasses and being poor so I stopped emphasizing rolling & focused on private lessons & I just had to get used to giving belts to pussies that can’t fight, now I’m loaded.” Im paraphrasing but I know several that told me essentially that. Often they’ll say
“I’m trying to make my school more commercial.”
That’s the euphemism.
Whether it’s right or wrong is not something I’ll debate cause I see both sides. But that it’s been happening for a long time is just a fact.
Doenst bother me. Belts are bullshit anyways. So I who cares?
Belts are like degrees in school.
I know complete morons with advanced college degrees.
Some schools grade on success in ibjjf some on time in, there are schools that give anyone taking privates new belts every few months.
Just find a school u like and don’t sweat what others do.
But of course a famous person will get belts easier.
Same as a famous person can always get their kids into Ivy League schools.
Life isn’t fair.

So is Statham they’d roll hard after filming sometimes on set too

That’s not purple belt level. He’s too fucking spastic and gets too excited when jones obviously gives him positions he didn’t earn. What jones is doing is how someone good grapples with a teenage girl