Should death penalty be opt if victim doesn’t die

Should the death penalty be an option and used for certain crimes even if the victim(s) does not die?

if so, what crimes should have this punishment available?

If no, why not?

You should get it if you rip the label off a mattress.

1 Like

Yes, but the burden of proof should increase as the crime lessens in severity.

And any crime that demonstrates a person is incapable of functioning in civilized society. You don’t accidentally murder someone, or accidentally rape someone, or accidentally torture someone. These are all indicative of something broken within a person that can’t be fixed or rehabilitated.

Outright rape and child sexual abuse along with major financial crimes should be eligible imo

2 Likes

The issue with the death penalty is our current legal system makes it ridiculously expensive. Getting rid of our legal system isn't the answer for a wide variety of reasons. 

![](upload://fi6X4coHy6Q0oit3OVnS6v3BbFS.jpeg)

Make them want to die and deny it to them. 

5 Likes
DaveFu -

The issue with the death penalty is our current legal system makes it ridiculously expensive. Getting rid of our legal system isn't the answer for a wide variety of reasons. 

Damn.

Soul Gravy - Yes, but the burden of proof should increase as the crime lessens in severity.

And any crime that demonstrates a person is incapable of functioning in civilized society. You don’t accidentally murder someone, or accidentally rape someone, or accidentally torture someone. These are all indicative of something broken within a person that can’t be fixed or rehabilitated.

This, but I would also add most sex crimes. 

Child rape = death

Only certain situation for me, others would be case by case

1 Like

The argument against the death penalty in these cases, and the death penalty in general is as follows. In cases of rape and sexual abuse, the idea is that the assailant has zero incentive in keeping their victim alive if death is already on the table. With the death penalty in general the argument is that with all of the guaranteed appeals afforded to the criminal, the cost of death row is far greater than the cost of life in prison. 

If this question is purely hypothetical then sure, I'm all for it. 

DaveFu -

Take away the window, so that they have no concept of time.  

Places that practice the "ole' eye for an eye" have been shown to have less crime. 

If you kill someone and a jury finds you guilty. Then that should be it. However, if circumstances show that was never your intention or that the death could have been avoided by the recently deceased then the death penalty should be off the books. 

You would have to set up some type of rubric that explains what offenses along with their severity are applicable for the death penalty.

I can get a handful of rattlesnakes from an exterminator pal fairly cheap. We can lock child fuckers in with them and see what happens. If they live ok I guess

Absolutely yes.

People who cross certain lines... rape, torture, crimes against children, the infirm or elderly... they're not needed. We will be fine without them. They should be removed.

DaveFu -

This.  The death penalty isn't a penalty, it's an escape from punishment.  If I got life, I'd beg for death.

Let them rot.  It's cheaper and there's no chance of killing an innocent person.

1 Like

Against it in all cases.

TtT 

BarkLikeADog - Against it in all cases.

How come?

Knuckle Punch -

Child rape = death

Only certain situation for me, others would be case by case

rape is worse than murder?

An internal catch 22 battle.

I am okay with people dying for heinous crimes if I am confident the person is guily.

But I would never actually feel confident that a person is guilty with oral arguments alone.  It has to be irrefutable and even now video evidence can be altered.  There simply may not be a proper way to be confident in a death penalty.

And I think the stakes should be upped for crimes during a pandemic like arson and looting. Shoot 'em in the head on sight.

(haha, BTW that cell is about the same square footage as my study where I live most of the time in my 2000 sq.ft house.)