Should I Catch Up With "LEFTOVERS"?

I gave the show 5 episodes and quit.  I was annoyed with pretty much everything.  I don't care what happened to make 2% of the population dissapear.  It could have been aliens, the rapture, god, whatever.  It makes no difference.

But they weren't explaining why the people in white were dressed in white.  Or why they wouldn't talk, but would still communicate through writing.  What was up with the pregnant asian girl or the black dude that hugged people.  

Have any of those questions been answered, or is it just more and more questions piling up?  I'm considering returning because people are saying that it got good.  Yes/No?.  

Dude I have watched every episode and IM not caught up. I STILL dunno what is going on but I can't stop watching it. I'm facinated by it. Phone Post 3.0

I only watched the pilot and loved the premise, but I just can't go through season after season of never really getting a single answer regarding anything, which is where it seemed like they were going. I could maybe be convinced to give it another go.

2% of the population?

who gives a shit.

It was probably just the Drones

IMO, stick with it. It gets more intense with each episode.

Last episode was funny and sad. Show has really picked up steam. Phone Post 3.0

They explained why the GR’s don’t talk in like the second episode.  It seems like you’re not paying close enough attention to the show.

I immensely disliked every character in the first 2-3 episodes, it seemed like everyone was being an asshole for no reason.  Not really for no reason, but they were still being dicks and not moving on, I still find that aspect very frustrating. 

I still don’t care about the pregnant Asian, it seems like such a stupid plot point right now.

I don’t think they’ll ever explain what happened to the people, nor do I really care.

But it has become a rather compelling show, in the last episode they finally showed the days leading up to the people disappearing and that was pretty cool.  I’m hooked for next season at least.

The did a great job of explaining the guilty
Remnant people a couple of
Episodes ago. So intense.

Stick with it, it will pay off.

They are already answering some questions, unlike lost, which leads me to believe Lindelof knows what needs to be fixed Phone Post 3.0

clattymine - 

They explained why the GR’s don’t talk in like the second episode.  It seems like you’re not paying close enough attention to the show.

I immensely disliked every character in the first 2-3 episodes, it seemed like everyone was being an asshole for no reason.  Not really for no reason, but they were still being dicks and not moving on, I still find that aspect very frustrating. 

I still don’t care about the pregnant Asian, it seems like such a stupid plot point right now.

I don’t think they’ll ever explain what happened to the people, nor do I really care.

But it has become a rather compelling show, in the last episode they finally showed the days leading up to the people disappearing and that was pretty cool.  I’m hooked for next season at least.

Why are they acting like that?

I know that they "Witnessed" the vanishing and don't want people to forget, but what's the purpose of the white gear and cigs?  Why can they not talk, but they can write?  Can they type?  They explained all this?

Most recent episode explained a lot.
Not the greatest, but it's decent Phone Post 3.0

I watched every episode. I call bullshit. It's going to be like Xfiles - no answers. Phone Post 3.0

Here's my perspective as someone whose done nothing more than read the description of the premise.

Why do I care if 2% of the population dissapears? Assuming for a moment the media didn't report on it, 2% is hardly a noticeable number unless you knew one of the dissapeared. And at 2% you probably wouldn't know someone else who was also looking for their loved one.

It's perfectly likely that 25% of the world's population could dissapear, and unless you knew someone from among the dissapeared, you probably wouldn't even notice.

Crank the number up to 30,40,50% and you'd start to notice slower service, fewer cars on the road, delays in the transportation industry. Those types of things would give it away. 

But we're not talking about significant dissapearance. We're talking about 2%, and I could literally not give less of a shit about a number so low. It barely registers on the Sci-Fi intrigue scale. In fact, it doesn't register. 

slo ko -

Here's my perspective as someone whose done nothing more than read the description of the premise.

Why do I care if 2% of the population dissapears? Assuming for a moment the media didn't report on it, 2% is hardly a noticeable number unless you knew one of the dissapeared. And at 2% you probably wouldn't know someone else who was also looking for their loved one.

It's perfectly likely that 25% of the world's population could dissapear, and unless you knew someone from among the dissapeared, you probably wouldn't even notice.

Crank the number up to 30,40,50% and you'd start to notice slower service, fewer cars on the road, delays in the transportation industry. Those types of things would give it away. 

But we're not talking about significant dissapearance. We're talking about 2%, and I could literally not give less of a shit about a number so low. It barely registers on the Sci-Fi intrigue scale. In fact, it doesn't register. 

Awesome assessment. Will come back to VU Phone Post 3.0

It's definitely worth a watch.

But the fact that it's by the same guys who made Lost is becoming more and more apparent IMO (I got tired of Lost and stopped watching).

Lol dude you are annoyed that you didnt have everything explained by epsiode 5 of season 1 of an hbo show (5-6 seasons if successful)?

Get some patience man! Phone Post 3.0

slo ko -

Considering that's not the point of the show at all and it only has minor science fictiony (fantasy) implications it appears you should watch it before you form an opinion. Phone Post 3.0

You make a valid point, clatty.

But I'm giving you my reason for not having been drawn in by the premise prior.

Had the creators focussed their write-up on something other than "2% of the world has disappeared" then I would have probably been in early. Phone Post 3.0

If you don't like it, don't worry, I'm sure you can find re-runs of The Big Bang Theory somewhere. Phone Post 3.0

I was in the same boat, and quit at about the same time, but a friend convinced me to get back into it, and it does seem to have gotten better.

The episode that focused on Nora at the conference got me back into it.

slo ko - You make a valid point, clatty.

But I'm giving you my reason for not having been drawn in by the premise prior.

Had the creators focussed their write-up on something other than "2% of the world has disappeared" then I would have probably been in early. Phone Post 3.0
Remember this is an adaptation of an e isting book. Not a high concept idea dreamt up by a screenwriting team.

2% is actually a fantastic number though when you think about it.

As you said, its not enough to cause any type of lasting societal damage - and the show doesnt suggest there is. The fact its barely noticeable is a major part of the story. But its enough to creat some interesting human interest stories.

For 99 pct of people life hasnt changed and they make a point of how desensitised some people are to the event - a company at a conference profiteering off the event and mocking the family members of the departed for example.

In a small town of 15k people say like the show you are going to have 300 disappeared on average. Enough so that many families are affected but not so much that life doesnt go on. Its like a town that suffers a mining disaster or something - and thats the vibe the show gives. The town has its annual memorials etc and has individuals who were statistical anomolies and lost their entire direct family who stand out even in the small pool of affected people as a result.

Its a great idea but it really is a human interest drama with fantasy undertones.

People dwelling on 'waaaah they havent explained the disappearance' are kind of missing the point.

That being said if the show goes beyond one season it will probably out pace the book and maybe even go i to the disappearance..... Phone Post 3.0