Should I get an HD projector?

Curious to see who's running one and what they think of it? How does it compare to a led flat screen tv?

I need a new set up for my living room and was narrowing it down to a couple different tv's but now I'm curious about projector set ups. Phone Post 3.0

I do but have it in a dedicated theater room where it's dark. I wouldn't put a projector in my living room (unless your life revolves around watching TV).

As long as you have a good receiver and surround sound it's the way to go.

cruedi - As long as you have a good receiver and surround sound it's the way to go.
Mind telling me what set up you have? Phone Post 3.0

I use a BenQ w1070 hooked up to an old cheap Yamaha audio receiver and it's great Phone Post 3.0

figure8 - 
cruedi - As long as you have a good receiver and surround sound it's the way to go.
Mind telling me what set up you have? Phone Post 3.0

panisonic pt-ae900u
It's pretty old now relatively speaking but I get a great 1080i picture. I'm using a direct tv HD/DVR with component cables to connect to it.

It needs to be a dark room. Phone Post 3.0

if you can control the light, BenQ W1070 is the way to go.

you'll also get better results with dark walls.

avsforums.com

I think it looks like shit on the wall but that's just me Phone Post 3.0

Why waste the money on a lumen party that will require replacement? Phone Post 3.0

Harlem Savoy - Why waste the money on a lumen party that will require replacement? Phone Post 3.0

Because if you have the right room for it, you can have an amazing 120+ inch picture for much less than a 70" TV even including bulb replacements.

This guy just has a cheap projector (sub $500, nowhere near as good as the BenQ W1070) and that's a 70" TV underneath.
http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/data/2359677/d/d4/d4ad1c72_4-14room024.jpeg

Once you've seen a good one, it's tough to go back to a "little" 60" screen. Of course if you can't control the light, it's not a good option.

I have a Dell HD1610 set up in my basement. It's relatively dark down there but the kids still play the PS3 with all the lights on and you can see it fine.

100" screen and it's crystal clear, love playing PS3 and watching movies on it. It's 6 years old and I've changed the lamp once (about 3 years ago) and it still works mint.

forrestfan -
Harlem Savoy - Why waste the money on a lumen party that will require replacement? Phone Post 3.0

Because if you have the right room for it, you can have an amazing 120+ inch picture for much less than a 70" TV even including bulb replacements.

This guy just has a cheap projector (sub $500, nowhere near as good as the BenQ W1070) and that's a 70" TV underneath.

Once you've seen a good one, it's tough to go back to a "little" 60" screen. Of course if you can't control the light, it's not a good option.
Yea. I get that. I hate to configure a room for just theater viewing. It makes for terrible hosting or parties. Phone Post 3.0

Harlem Savoy - 
forrestfan -

Yea. I get that. I hate to configure a room for just theater viewing. It makes for terrible hosting or parties. Phone Post 3.0

I don't know, I "hosted" a super bowl "party" a couple weeks back that was a huge hit. Of course it could have been the whiskey and beer that people enjoyed.

Harlem Savoy -
forrestfan -

Exactly. Running a projector in your living room is one thing if you're in college with roommates, but once you've grown up it makes for a douchey sophomoric environment. Phone Post 3.0

After doing a TON of research on inexpensive projectors, I found the best was actually not made by any of the big companies. It's actually the Brookstone Pocket Projector. For $300 this thing is a MONSTER! I freaking love the thing. Find me a bad review on it and I bet the person who wrote it belongs to ISIS or hates kittens.

Even the sound that comes from it sounds good. Why you would listen to the sound from a Projector, I don't know but if you do, it sounds pretty damn good. I have yet to have any issues with it.

You might want to spend the extra on the upgraded version which has more lumens(sp). The picture on the $300 is good but I could see people having an issue in a well lit room.

David@accu -

After doing a TON of research on inexpensive projectors, I found the best was actually not made by any of the big companies. It's actually the Brookstone Pocket Projector. For $300 this thing is a MONSTER! I freaking love the thing. Find me a bad review on it and I bet the person who wrote it belongs to ISIS or hates kittens.

Even the sound that comes from it sounds good. Why you would listen to the sound from a Projector, I don't know but if you do, it sounds pretty damn good. I have yet to have any issues with it.

You might want to spend the extra on the upgraded version which has more lumens(sp). The picture on the $300 is good but I could see people having an issue in a well lit room.

480p @ 100 lumens? No thanks. Looks cool for its portability, but if you are setting up a theater room you want HD, you want 120", you want surround sound., you want a bright picture. Phone Post 3.0

MDAlex - I use a BenQ w1070 hooked up to an old cheap Yamaha audio receiver and it's great Phone Post 3.0
Went with this setup. So worth the $700 for a projector. Phone Post 3.0

I have a theater room and it is worth it. 150 inch x 100 inch in hd. Looks great. Phone Post 3.0

attjack - 
David@accu -

480p @ 100 lumens? No thanks. Looks cool for its portability, but if you are setting up a theater room you want HD, you want 120", you want surround sound., you want a bright picture. Phone Post 3.0

Is OP setting up a theater room? He said he was replacing a TV in the living room. I agree with you, I certainly would not use it as a theater projector but it does make a good TV replacement.