Should I get EMT certification?

I'm thinking of getting my EMT certification, not for a job but more for volunteer work and general useful knowledge.

Anyone else do this? Phone Post 3.0

where do you want to volunteer that requires an EMT cert?

You could probably get all the knowledge you need at a basic first aid course. It would cost less, and take less time.

(24 year paramedic)

I've wanted to take a wilderness EMT course for years now. They teach a lot of skills that are out of the scope for a basic EMT. Phone Post 3.0

If you have the time it's a good class to take.

HG NREMT-P

damn, we got some medical up in this thread.

chive on my brothers.

ashleigh11 - where do you want to volunteer that requires an EMT cert?

You could probably get all the knowledge you need at a basic first aid course. It would cost less, and take less time.

(24 year paramedic)

I know a guy who runs a private volunteer EMT company and they would pay for it. Phone Post 3.0

Ned Ryerson - 

(24 year paramedic)

I know a guy who runs a private volunteer EMT company and they would pay for it. Phone Post 3.0

Only thing it will cost is your time but what you might learn could save a life of a loved one. Good investment imo.

If you have questions once you start taking your class as you can see you have allot of help. I'm guessing there are a good dozen or so medics that post pretty regular on here.

Hired Gun -
Ned Ryerson - 

(24 year paramedic)

Only thing it will cost is your time but what you might learn could save a life of a loved one. Good investment imo.

If you have questions once you start taking your class as you can see you have allot of help. I'm guessing there are a good dozen or so medics that post pretty regular on here.
That's what I was thinking I can do the class once a week for a few months and you Phone Post 3.0

...continued.... Never know when it'll come in handy. Plus I enjoy volunteering.

Thanks for the responses. Phone Post 3.0

For the most part, an EMT B is trained to use specific equipment under narrow parameters with (hopefully) some pretty strict oversight.

When say "not for a job, just general knowledge" I always point them towards a Wilderness First Responder course. You will come out of that with a much more useful "tool box" for less time and money.

Then again, I didn't start out wanting to work EMS, I kind of fell ass backwards into it and discovered that it was/is what I'm supposed to be doing.

-20 years EMS, 15 years as a paramedic. Phone Post 3.0