should i support my towns local wrestling promotio

n?

so short story....me and a friend opened a food joint recently in town, and this weird looking guy came in the other night asking if he can put a flyer up on our window to promote a wrestling show he's doing down the street. we ask him if he wants to buy any food and he says no.....without any reason.....but was like "so can i put this up or not?"

right now it's up because my friend didn't care but im not going to support some random fuckers business who isnt from around here, doesn't want to support us in return.....but being a wrestling fan myself im torn.

Decide to support it after you see the show. If its trash wrestling stay away.

supposedly its a family friendly backyard wrestling promotion that is trying to transition into venues around the area

and they train in a ballet studio

what could go wrong?

Weird

Should have asked if he’ll promote your restaurant at his show in return. If not, fuck em. 

I've never heard of a business only letting someone put up a flyer in return for promotion.  

He didn't ask for sponsporship.  

You wouldn't want to set the precedent of having fliers put up in your windows but inside the business, where people have to stand in line when ordering you could put up a notice board and let people advertise stuff there.  Local businesses, events etc... (anyone could place up a notice, not just if they buy at that time.  Chances are you will get business from it.

CDavidBlackburn -

Decide to support it after you see the show. If its trash wrestling stay away.

This is solid advice 

Poop Doodle -

I've never heard of a business only letting someone put up a flyer in return for promotion.  

Worked in restaurants my entire life, you want us to promote you, promote us. Doesn’t have to be a sponsorship or anything but a simple shout out is better than nothing. 

My guess is, this dude is going to go tell all his buddies about hanging flyers and will be sure to mention the dick who asked him to buy food when he asked if he could hang a flyer. In his eyes, your business is not a community friendly place now and you are a bit of an ass. Not saying that's true, but that's how he will probably project it.

Next time, I'd be friendly and say "Sure. While you're here, care to place an order?

If he says no, wait for him to leave, then tear the shit down if you want, but act friendly towards the community up front and it will pay off.

Example... a local bakery in the town I live in has been there and owned by the same old guy since before I was born. Family business passed down to him and eventually I'm sure to his kids. First time I ever stepped in there was when I was out begging for donations to help fund my kids non-profit wrestling team to help host their home tournament. The guy wrote a check for $50 and also said anything we buy for the concession stand from him will be buy one get one free.

So we got some doughnuts and other shit to sell. Since then, every b-day cake I've bought for my 3 gets has been from his shop despite his place being the most expensive in town. 5 years in a row now he has donated to our tournament, and I encourage everyone to go there for b-day cakes and shit. He didn't ask for that promotion, he was just friendly and made a donation and offered us a discount. From that, he now has some new customers.

Im not looking for sponsership or promotion we do fine without some random wrestling promotion helping us out. But I feel like you should have to buy food from us or toss some free tickets at the very least if an out of town company wants promotion from us.

Lurker99 - My guess is, this dude is going to go tell all his buddies about hanging flyers and will be sure to mention the dick who asked him to buy food when he asked if he could hang a flyer. In his eyes, your business is not a community friendly place now and you are a bit of an ass. Not saying that's true, but that's how he will probably project it.

Next time, I'd be friendly and say "Sure. While you're here, care to place an order?

If he says no, wait for him to leave, then tear the shit down if you want, but act friendly towards the community up front and it will pay off.

Example... a local bakery in the town I live in has been there and owned by the same old guy since before I was born. Family business passed down to him and eventually I'm sure to his kids. First time I ever stepped in there was when I was out begging for donations to help fund my kids non-profit wrestling team to help host their home tournament. The guy wrote a check for $50 and also said anything we buy for the concession stand from him will be buy one get one free.

So we got some doughnuts and other shit to sell. Since then, every b-day cake I've bought for my 3 gets has been from his shop despite his place being the most expensive in town. 5 years in a row now he has donated to our tournament, and I encourage everyone to go there for b-day cakes and shit. He didn't ask for that promotion, he was just friendly and made a donation and offered us a discount. From that, he now has some new customers.
I was very friendly to the guy, and again he's not even from around here. Just saying if you want us to potentially bring you more revenue don't be a dick about it and act like you're entitled to free advertising lol.

The Destroyer88 - Im not looking for sponsership or promotion we do fine without some random wrestling promotion helping us out. But I feel like you should have to buy food from us or toss some free tickets at the very least if an out of town company wants promotion from us.

I get where you are coming from, but how out of town are you talking? You said they are going to be doing shows in the venues around the area... and your title says yours towns LOCAL promotion?

If it's something in the community, is a flyer that big of a deal? And as stated by Festus, a community bulletin board is a good idea as well. Shows you support the local area, without really giving an advertising in windows and such. Alot of the pizza shops here do that. Also depends on your area, around here, businesses that are community friendly tend to last longer and get more support in return.

The Destroyer88 - 
Lurker99 - My guess is, this dude is going to go tell all his buddies about hanging flyers and will be sure to mention the dick who asked him to buy food when he asked if he could hang a flyer. In his eyes, your business is not a community friendly place now and you are a bit of an ass. Not saying that's true, but that's how he will probably project it.

I was very friendly to the guy, and again he's not even from around here. Just saying if you want us to potentially bring you more revenue don't be a dick about it and act like you're entitled to free advertising lol.

Even if you were very friendly and completely professional, the way you said his reply was "So can I put this up or not" gives the impression that hes the type that will take the situation and twist it to shit on someone for not bending over backwards for him and his show. We live in the world of entitlement and in times where a couple bad yelp reviews can ruin a small business. I'd just always lean on the side of caution to keep a good image. As I said, wait for them to walk out and then tear it right back down. Then everyone feels like they won, when really only you did.

Seriously, OP. It's just a flyer. Say yes or say no, but the "You have to buy a coke to use our bathroom" routine is just bad business. Be a good neighbor or don't.

Why not find the owners and talk. Maybe your food joint can be concessions at the matches and you get some extra advertising.