Should Randy rescue "Xtreme Couture Toronto"?

Interesting reviews of the facility here in the comments section: http://www.blogto.com/fitness/xtreme-couture-toronto

One of the only Xtreme Couture franchises still left standing.

One recent review here:

"This place is a scam. I went in for a 7 day trial and they conned me by making me sign a contract with them on the first day. They told me the trial was in fact the 'cooling off period' on the contract (where, according to the consumer protection act, you can cancel a contract and get a refund for any gym contract within 14 days of signing). After a lot of pressuring I was like, okay whatever I'm protecting by the act right? So I sign it and then try out the place.

The facility, while large is quite messy and disorganized. The gym/fitness side seems really small and cramped with equipment everywhere and the MMA side seems very unsanitized (yes, I understand it's an MMA gym but even more the reason to make sure things are bacteria/fungus free). I went to one class, which I was not impressed with at all. Sure the gym size is huge, but why would you ever want a class that large with just one instructor? Very little individual attention and you'll likely just be the practice dummy for senior students.

The gym is FILLED with a meathead-douchebag vibe and I can't stand it. Almost got into a fight in the parking lot when some jerk decides to PARK right behind me, blocking my car in between the building's walls and his busted ass car. Then he proceeds to start taking his sweet ass time changing, CHANGING in the parking lot. When I tell him politely that I need to get out and ask for him to move his car, he says "fuck off, what are you going to do about it?". The ass hole puts his hands up in a fighting stance and I'm just like WTF? (Oh btw, I'M A GIRL). Not really feeling like getting into a fight, I cross my arms and stare at him. He proceeds to call me a pussy, finishes changing and leaves. The gym is FILLED with these kinds of dudes.

Management staff is ridiculously pushy. They're super nice until they get your money, then they're rude. When I inevitably filed a form to cancel my contract with the cooling -day provisions, they gave me such attitude. I told them I didn't like the vibe of the gym and had decided to go to another gym closer to home instead. They proceed to insult me, saying I've 'cheated on them', saying things like "why waste our time and do a trial membership in the first place" and then after that expect me to do another 'trial' and then decrease the rate for me. I said I would have none of it and they told me I would have my refund in the mail. Low and behold 20 days past and still no refund. Contacted several times with no luck. Looks like I've been scammed.

For people trying out this gym. DO NOT SIGN THE CONTRACT WITH THEM. EVEN IF THEY TELL YOU ABOUT THE COOLING OFF PERIOD, THEY WILL NOT HONOUR IT AND GIVE YOU A REFUND. This is presumably their way of stealing money from people coming to try out. Oh and the law won't help you either, even if you file a complaint, unless it's over $500 they will tell you to go to a small claims court (where you'll probably dish out close to 100 in fees to file a claim against them)."

btw-- don't know how accurate many comments are. Anyone disenchanted could post malicious or untrue reviews. But maybe there is room for improvement?

Another recent review here:

"1. Randy Couture has nothing to do with this gym. They paid him money to put is name on the signage
2. There are no legitimate MMA instructors there. The trainers have no experience and they literally got them off the street or are former students
3. The run a double billing scam. The bill you twice a month "by mistake" and won't refund your money and will only credit you in gym month membership
4. Their personal trainers are ridiculous. They spend more time on their phones than actually training their clients
5. The people that go there definitely give off a douchbag vibe. They have a chip on their shoulders and the gym employees feed to this fire and perpetuate this crappy vibe

I'm going to stop here because I really am getting angry writing this and I literally could go on forever. My experience here was terrible."

You lost me with (Oh by the way,I'm a girl). Phone Post 3.0

Yeah some of the reviews are wildly inaccurate in terms of the instructors. Wagney Fabiano is as legit as BJJ black belts come. I think their boxing instructor is a former pro fighter with an extensive record.

Still, I wonder about the business side...

They fired most of their good instructors, look at the updated schedule. Few years ago Mark Bocek used to teach there, as well as Rob Di Censo. Mark Hominick, Chris Horodecki also taught for a bit. Then Clifton Brown also taught for a bit.

They all ended up leaving because the gym is terrible at actually paying people what they owe them. Wagnney Fabiano is back, after leaving for a brief period because of the same money issues. But he's got a lot more classes now too so good for him.

Some trainers definitely do suck, have not much reputation or credibility. They simply come in, fill their hours, and leave. There's high turnover for the no-name teachers, they're just there to fill slots and offer more hours on the schedule. Most of the instructors don't even know who else teaches or interact with the other coaches.

Meat heads; there are definitely meat heads, but what gym doesn't have meat heads. There used to be many high level grapplers who trained on any given weeknight. This was a very strong competition gym, so that alpha macho stuff was definitely there, but worth putting up with if you were serious, however toxic of an environment. Most of the skilled guys left when Bocek left however.

The double billing scam is real.

Really, this is an MMA gym run by people who have experience running fitness gyms. They like profits, and don't really care about the product.

"this is an MMA gym run by people who have experience running fitness gyms. They like profits, and don't really care about the product."

I got this impression of Xtreme Couture Toronto a few years back. I wanted to see Hominick, Hordecki and Bocek do well, and I knew it was a good opportunity for them.

i worked there doing co op many years back. Cleanliness was perfect at the time and trainers featured wagney hominick bocek etc

There was one obnoxious meathead personal trainer though lol. Guy would talk about steroid use and to guys and what to use out loud without a care in the world

Heh, I approve of this thread. Phone Post 3.0

I know they have a legit MT trainer there. The rest could be true but I know that ...

InspiritMick - I know they have a legit MT trainer there. The rest could be true but I know that ...

Who might that be?

I was there for a little bit back when they had Hominick, Horodecki, Bocek, etc. And it was definitely a clean gym with some good fighters, but the the last 4 years it has been pretty horrible I hear. There are many many good options around here, I'm not sure why anyone would go there to actually do any fight training. Phone Post 3.0

insomnia - 
InspiritMick - I know they have a legit MT trainer there. The rest could be true but I know that ...

Who might that be?

Jenson

The gym fell apart after most of the top trainers left, beware of the double bill scam, don't give your cc. Phone Post 3.0

devils advocate - 
MegaCholo2000 - You lost me with (Oh by the way,I'm a girl). Phone Post 3.0
suicide yourself Phone Post 3.0

MegaCholo was Robin Williams. RIP Mega

Mark Bocek - The gym fell apart after most of the top trainers left, beware of the double bill scam, don't give your cc. Phone Post 3.0
Bam Phone Post 3.0

Mark if you are ever in Niagara, or would like to visit, shoot me a PM here  :) 

insomnia - They fired most of their good instructors, look at the updated schedule. Few years ago Mark Bocek used to teach there, as well as Rob Di Censo. Mark Hominick, Chris Horodecki also taught for a bit. Then Clifton Brown also taught for a bit.

They all ended up leaving because the gym is terrible at actually paying people what they owe them. Wagnney Fabiano is back, after leaving for a brief period because of the same money issues. But he's got a lot more classes now too so good for him.

Some trainers definitely do suck, have not much reputation or credibility. They simply come in, fill their hours, and leave. There's high turnover for the no-name teachers, they're just there to fill slots and offer more hours on the schedule. Most of the instructors don't even know who else teaches or interact with the other coaches.

Meat heads; there are definitely meat heads, but what gym doesn't have meat heads. There used to be many high level grapplers who trained on any given weeknight. This was a very strong competition gym, so that alpha macho stuff was definitely there, but worth putting up with if you were serious, however toxic of an environment. Most of the skilled guys left when Bocek left however.

The double billing scam is real.

Really, this is an MMA gym run by people who have experience running fitness gyms. They like profits, and don't really care about the product.

One of the many things I love about Ottawa Academy of Martial Arts (OAMA) is the lack of meat heads. Anyone who acts like a meat head will learn his lesson very quickly.

Three locations in the Ottawa area with a fourth on its way. All instructors are legit and it is a comfortable place to learn for both the experienced and new to martial arts.

Sorry, i know this is off topic but reading about the description of Toronto Couture it made me happy to be part of OAMA.

Team Renzo, I think anytime you get an instructor who values the integrity of his program over the almighty dollar, you get a great environment with good people who are accepted to train at said facility.  Sounds like you guys have a great thing going over there, congrats.