SHOWTIME Offering Free Preview This Weekend

Showtime offers free-preview weekend with 'Strikeforce: Marquardt-Saffiedine'by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Jan 04, 2013 at 10:20 am ET

Although not long for this world, Strikeforce is once again part of Showtime programming being offered free to potential subscribers.

The premium cable channel recently announced a free-preview weekend that runs Jan. 11 through Jan. 13.

"Strikeforce: Marquardt vs. Saffiedine" takes place Jan. 12 at Chesapeake Energy Center in Oklahoma City, and the promotion's final 11-fight card is being made available to more than 80 million households.

The "Strikeforce: Marquardt vs. Saffiedine" main card airs live on Showtime following a four-fight preliminary card on Showtime Extreme.

The channel's availability is an increase from previous years. Its subscriber base currently is 22 million households, but 58 million more will be able to watch during the coming weekend, which kicks off on Friday with a boxing event.

Cable and satellite television subscribers will have free access to Showtime, Showtime HD and Showtime Anytime, an on-demand service.

First-time subscribers can get $25 back during the freebie.

In December, Strikeforce announced the Jan. 12 event will be the promotion's last, which confirmed the worst outcome of a rocky one-year partnership between its parent company Zuffa, which also runs the UFC, and Showtime.

Strikeforce signed a multi-year broadcast agreement with Showtime in 2009 before Zuffa purchased it in March 2011. Since delving into MMA in 2006, the promotion has put together 63 events.

The complete "Strikeforce: Marquardt vs. Saffiedine" card includes:

MAIN CARD (Showtime, 10 p.m. ET) Nate Marquardt vs. Tarec Saffiedine Daniel Cormier vs. Dion Staring
Josh Barnett vs. Nandor Guelmino
Mike Kyle vs. Gegard Mousasi
Ed Herman vs. Ronaldo Souza

PRELIMINARY CARD (Showtime Extreme, 8 p.m. ET)
Pat Healy vs. Kurt Holobaugh*
Roger Gracie vs. Anthony Smith
Tim Kennedy vs. Trevor Smith
Ryan Couture vs. KJ Noons

PRELIMINARY CARD (Untelevised, 7 p.m. ET)
Jorge Gurgel vs. Adriano Martins Michael Bravo vs. Estevan Payan

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/01/showtime-offers-free-preview-weekend-with-strikeforce-marquardt-saffiedine Phone Post

Thanks for the heads up. Too bad my DVR won't let me set the recording now, will have to set a reminder on Friday.

Decent card, I'll be watching this for sure.

Who is responsible for the lame opponents for Cormier and Barnett? Is it Dana and Zuffa or is that all they could get .

fightsfan - Decent card, I'll be watching this for sure.

Who is responsible for the lame opponents for Cormier and Barnett? Is it Dana and Zuffa or is that all they could get .

I think Cormier said nobody would fight him. I think this card is really interesting with all of the potential UFC contracts on the line. Phone Post

Another heads up as we get closer to the fight Phone Post