shrimping differently than most people. He did them with a lot of
ballistic power, almost leaping off of his feet and throwing his hips
backwards to do the shrimping movement. Almost like a plyometric
kind of thing.

At the time, I didn't know what the hell he was doing. But now I'm
thinking that now that my shrimping is very technical and precise, now
is the time for me to add this kind of ballistic momentum to my
shrimping.

Whatdya think? How do you do your shrimping?

I don't know that I'm imagining what you're referring to with the "ballistic shrimping" but I do agree that you should use them to develop attributes.  We at my school will do a basic shrimp with both feet, then the inside foot, outside foot and then switch sides.  We do the same for reverse shrimps and a modified version where you come up on your elbow and then shrimp away.  It makes sense to me because you rarely ever get a chance to use the "perfect shrimp" motion, its always a modification. 

my 2 cents.

CC

In actual rolling, I always have to bridge and then shrimp at the top of the bridge, or it's utterly ineffective.

^^^same here when i am stuck in someones side conrtol, but i use the regular one when keeping someone in my guard.

to answer chickenfeets question, if you are sure of your technique, do it as fast as possible so it's realistic.

I like food,

I like food too!

"In actual rolling, I always have to bridge and then shrimp at the top of the bridge, or it's utterly ineffective."

Agreed! Once I figured out that this is how it is done in real time, it became the only way I teach it.

ttt, post some vids for the stupid white belts (like myse

""In actual rolling, I always have to bridge and then shrimp at the top of the bridge, or it's utterly ineffective.""

Me too. I always had trouble with side control. The saulo 2 escape dvd was where i saw it first.

Its pretty much impossible to hold me in side control (or anyone who does this right) unless they have a good grip on the near arm.

for those who bridge and shrimp to escape from side,

is this an explosive bridge and then an explosive shrimp? or do you just lift your hips up high (without any "explosiveness"), then shrimp?

shen, is there a certain noise that a shrimp makes? i would think that adding the shrimp's call would help harness the power of the shrimp movement.

"is this an explosive bridge and then an explosive shrimp? or do you just lift your hips up high (without any "explosiveness"), then shrimp?"

Its a bridge first- its not explosive (well it doesnt have to be), your basicly pushing them with your chest.

Its also not the regular bridge like the one you would use from the mount. You are bridging into them. The space that is created under you is where you hip escape, or thread your near leg through to go the the turtle.

"is this an explosive bridge and then an explosive shrimp? or do you just lift your hips up high (without any "explosiveness"), then shrimp?"

Definitely explosively, especially if the guy on top is heavier. Sometimes you may have to do it a couple times in a row to get the required space.

and shen, what of the "schnake" movements?  Do you pull your arms into your gi and pretend to be a snake? 

^lol, oy vey!

LOL!

i prefer to harness the power of the galloping gerdie when i bridge.
haha, im so funny

shen,

i'm learning that not only do I have a lot to learn about the basic movements in BJJ, I must expand my knowledge of Judeaism and I must never read a post by you with a mouth full of food or liquid.  I always end up choking or spewing.

CC