shrimping off of both feet?

I know the traditional way to shrimp is one straight leg, one bent leg, and push off of the bent leg only.

With my knee problems I find it a lot easier to push off with both legs...is this OK?

There are two schools of thought on this.

One says you have a 95% chance of dying every time you try this.

The other says it's ok.

I use two legs and it has served me well. My thought on this is that I would have twice the power to push out and create space with than if I used one leg.

What are people's thoughts with one legged shrimping? I am interested.

Well, do what you gotta do, but the drawbacks are:

Using two legs tends to reduce the range of motion of the Hip Escape, compared to using one leg.

Also, if you are mounted and doing a standard Hip Escape, it's harder to get your knee in if you push off both feet.

Great insight. Thank you.

I will need to begin trying the one legged shrimps.

You should practice both! 

Two legged shrimping is more powerful, but one legged shrimping can be better for certain applications.

Click here to see video of the basic 2 legged shrimp

I've always done two legged, that's interesting though I'll start practicing one legged.

Stephan is a great source for grappling information.

I prefer one leg, because it's easier to escape the flat leg.

I was a 2-legged shrimper until Cobrinha told me to stop, the reason being that it is easier to pass a 2-legged shrimper when their legs are extended, since they have no leg defense.

the 1 leg shrimp is 2 fold,more hip movement and the other ,when your knee is up and foot tight to the butt it prevents the guy on top from resetting the hook.just a white belt so i could be wrong.

Example of 1 legged shrimping: escaping from the mount with an elbow knee escape. One leg needs to be flat so that it can come under your opponent's knee more easily

Example of 2 legged shrimping: when you're in side mount and you bridge into your opponent (trying to bump him backwards, not up) and then you move your hips away to put him in the guard or come to your knees or whatever.  Here the movement starts out as a 2 legged shrimp because it was a 2 legged bridge (usually)

2 legged when you're mounted and trying a bridge/roll to guard where 1 of your legs traps outside his leg

1 legged when you're side mounted, so you don't get full mounted. or if you're already mounted and trying elbow knee escape, otherwise you just get grapevined.

from guards...totally depends upon the situation. Sometimes you're shrimping to move under him in order to sweep him over you, sometimes you're trying to create distance/space. Eg if you're in 1/2 guard and he wizzers your underhook, you can trap his arm and use both legs to shrimp under him, but you need to switch your feet so that your outside leg comes over his trapped leg...you don't want to let his leg free when you use both legs.

im lazy and i dont really remember the last time i shrimped in order to escape. My bottom side control is generally where i like to be in order to pull half guard, and my guard defense is decent (at least i think) and again i usually look to go into bottom half guard (for the sweep).

i dont look for the escapes to make everything neutral. I find this to give the other person the opportunity to scramble, so instead i look to make it to my advantage.