Shrimping vs. Snaking

I recently read a post here about the proper way to shrimp and a debate about whether you lift your hips off the ground or not. Both ways are correct depending on what you want to do. Lifting your hips off the ground and making the shrimping motion allows you to create more space and get to your knees easier if needed. Keeping your lower body on the ground and moving your hips from side to side, a move I've always known as "snaking", allows you to recompose guard easier. Over the years I've heard many people talk about the shrimp and the snake as if they are one and the same, but they are actually two different movements.

Here's to not giving a fuck.

The "shrimp" as you define it, is composed of two separate motions. The first is a bridge, the second is a hip escape. Creating a separate term for "hip escape preceded by bridge" and "hip escape alone" is simply redundant in my mind. Its like saying an armbar preceded by a triangle is a different move than the standard armbar from guard.

Why don't we just come up with names for "hip bump followed by top knee in uke's stomach " and "hip bump followed by recovering half guard" etc. etc.

DarksideBjjer - Here's to not giving a fuck.

Thanks for the insightful comments guys. I should probably just ban myself for life. Then again there's too much comedy here to do that.

I think some of you guys are confusing the "Snake Move" with "The Salamander" which is similar, but done with your hips SLIGHTLY off the ground.

"The Prawn" of course is much like the "The Shrimp" but is done with BOTH feet.

So there are "reptile" moves and "crustacean" moves?

Fascinating.

"So there are "reptile" moves and "crustacean" moves?"

Of course!... Amphibians too, for example 'The Frog' which of course is when you either give up right after the round begins or you just get up and run off the mat and out of the building.

shen - 
I think some of you guys are confusing the "Snake Move" with "The Salamander" which is similar, but done with your hips SLIGHTLY off the ground.

"The Prawn" of course is much like the "The Shrimp" but is done with BOTH feet.

the term in japanese is ebe which translates as prawn.

ebi imo jon

as in ebi-don...yummmm

It is amazing anyone would post a question related to technique on a jiu jitsu forum? Aaron, don't let the bastids get you down! I think youtube has some good videos on hip escape movement. I know Roy Harris covers it in his bjj 101 series.

Is this Aaron Lapointe?

Colt Seavers - "Eh snakey move." - Joe Moreira

"Snakey mah hipey" - Joe M.

ausgepicht - Is this Aaron Lapointe?

Yes. Do we know each other?

No, but I know who you are. If the ones acting like tards on the thread knew who you were they would shut the fuck up and learn something.

ausgepicht - No, but I know who you are. If the ones acting like tards on the thread knew who you were they would shut the fuck up and learn something.

Not me.

I know exactly who Aaron is and I STILL act like a retard!

(Seriously though, Aaron is awesome).

I met aaron on the reservation when he first moved out here. he was just standing there in the black hills throwing grass blades into the wind and watching them fall where they may. i approached him on horseback and he turned to me w/ a slight grin and said,

"THAT... is jiu jitsu."

i was fucking blown away.

Is this what Ryan Hall was talking about?

Is it a Carlson thing to call it snakes? I always assumed shrimps and snakes where the same thing...both hip escapes. Now I need to research shrimping more. Anyone got any good vids that show the difference (ie Aaron show me please.) Phone Post

" - shen

I think some of you guys are confusing the "Snake Move" with "The Salamander" which is similar, but done with your hips SLIGHTLY off the ground."

Sounds to me like you're mixing up your "Salamander" with your "Lesser-spotted Dorset Newt."

Not to worry, they can appear similar to beginners. Keep training :)!