Shrimping vs. Snaking

TTT!

I think a lot of it is just lost in translation.

Being a smaller guy I have a hard time re-guarding from the bottom of side control if I don't bridge before I "snakey mah hippey".

I think you can only snakey yo hippey without bridging if you have a guy with a weak top game on you or if he hasn't fully established the position. Try just snakey yo hippey with a really good judoka/wrestler and you will get smashed.

I think a lot of it is just lost in translation.

Being a smaller guy I have a hard time re-guarding from the bottom of side control if I don't bridge before I "snakey mah hippey".

I think you can only snakey yo hippey without bridging if you have a guy with a weak top game on you or if he hasn't fully established the position. Try just snakey yo hippey with a really good judoka/wrestler and you will get smashed.

Snapple -  Any word on your Seminar is going to be shown on line?    How did you go by the way?  

I like the thread between snaking and shrimping.  I would love to learn more about shrimping.  I used to do well at escaping mount and side control with shrimping, but not so much any more.    I would like to refine it.  One of my hardest times being bottom of sidecontrol.  is when my partner is cross facing me, and has his  hand next to the near side hip thats closest to him.  I always bridged and shrimped from side control, and hip out with mount.    With that particular side control.  I have my arms in one.  Under the the person neeck,  the other forearm against the check or the their hip.   What I have a hard time with this one is when I shrimp I can't go back to gaurd.  If I bring my farside foot hooking in their arm thats blocking my hip to turn into guard.  they are able to flatten me out because I no longer have a brace against the ground.   For some reason I have  difficult time doing mutiple shrimps, or snakes.  because they will lift up on the near side leg slowing my shrimp and keeping me flat.     That or transitioning quickly to north south and then side control on the other side. 

So developing my shrimping/snaking and bottoms escapes in general would be great.       I also heard about diagnal shrimping where you stay on your side the whole time and just keep moving your hips away by brining your feet close to your butt and pushing off the ground. 

Class went well. I hope it will be posted online within the week. Since there were a wide range of belts from white to brown I decided to expand beyond shrimping/snaking/hip escapes. I still focused a good deal of time on hip movement though. I didn't show what to do when you were pinned, but rather how to move your hips to avoid being pinned in the first place. I end with a one arm choke that few people have probably seen.

"in wrestling we have this crazy new revolutionary move called a "bridge" it keeps you from being on your back and butt-scooting, and actually reverses the position to get you on top, you should try it sometime.”- Wrestlenow

Don’t mess with Aaron,dude. He’s got chunks of punks like you in his stool samples.

DarksideBjjer - Here's to not giving a fuck.

Great post. You added a lot of value.

I do agree with you though.

I was looking at Saulo Ribeiro's BJJ University. He has a whole section on "snaking." Any one criticizing Aaron know more or have a higher rank than Pedro?

Fucking know-it-alls.

Yeah I appreciated this thread actually, it's good to expand my library of knowledge... though admittedly I am a green ass noob (training for 2 months).