Shutdown and healing injuries

For the first time in over a year I can post palm-down with my right hand.

And my shoulder is noticeably stronger and more stable.

I never would have stopped on my own accord to let these things heal.

How much better does your body feel thanks to shutdown?

Shoulder and fingers feels like a million bucks. 

Oh yeah! Both thumbs are feeling great too!

I'm ready to get back on the mat. I'm 57 and healed up enough. Been doing all I can to stay S & C 'd and flexible plus a few solo movements on my mats. If I wait any longer I will be too old-man-stiff to be myself again.

i am more flexible for sure, but, we will see how healed after the first live roll!

yeahhhh i've been letting things heal. I'm wondering if I can dedicate myself to a mobility routine and see it pay dividends when we get back to it. 

twinkletoesCT - 

yeahhhh i've been letting things heal. I'm wondering if I can dedicate myself to a mobility routine and see it pay dividends when we get back to it. 

I’m here to tell you that it can’t be done. No stretching, dieting exercising of any kind can be done during the pandemic. If your experience varies, keep it to yourself.

Red Stuff - For the first time in over a year I can post palm-down with my right hand.

Careful,

That wrist can turn into a lifelong problem very easily. I think mine is messed permanently without surgery. Probably ulnar problem. Avoid wristlocks like the plague.

Hey Beer Man - 
twinkletoesCT - 

I’m here to tell you that it can’t be done. No stretching, dieting exercising of any kind can be done during the pandemic. If your experience varies, keep it to yourself.

HA yeah the best thing I've read so far was an email from a fitness coach I enjoy, saying "stop putting extra pressure on yourself right now. just get through this."  I actually think there's a lot of wisdom to that and I appreciated him sending it out. 

I quit. Body feels too good. 

LOL, I broke 2 ribs last week at work. This shit didn’t happen while training…

HotSteppa -
Red Stuff - For the first time in over a year I can post palm-down with my right hand.

Careful,

That wrist can turn into a lifelong problem very easily. I think mine is messed permanently without surgery. Probably ulnar problem. Avoid wristlocks like the plague.

So I feel pain doing regular pushups (palm down vice on my knuckles) when I used to be able to do them without pain.  Will stretching fix it or do I need to do something else.  I’m also particularly inflexible in the wristing trying to bend them the other way.  Think its from Muay Thai, heavy bag work particularly.

Red Stuff - For the first time in over a year I can post palm-down with my right hand.

I feel stronger too.  It’s been a lesson for me about the purpose of training and training with a goal and not just going apeshit. Training + Recovery is purpose-driven training.  Training + Traininig + Training is not the best path (esp. without PEDs of any sort).

HotSteppa - 

Careful,

It was actually a wrist lock being demonstrated on me. I yelped like a dog and it took everything not to instinctively whack the guy (not that that would have worked out very well for me!).

Red Stuff - 
HotSteppa - 

Careful,

It was actually a wrist lock being demonstrated on me. I yelped like a dog and it took everything not to instinctively whack the guy (not that that would have worked out very well for me!).

Same injury.

Eventually, I had to get my (Left) scaphoid bone surgically removed and 4 little bones fused together (“Scaphoidectomy and Four Corner Fusion”).

My wrist just barely bends now, no posting ever again. If you seriously mess up the bones in your wrist, there are very few options.

I was thinking before and now it’s becoming obvious that scheduled breaks are necessary. Not just for older guys. Everyone. Maybe a month or two out of the year, get off the mats. Will probably help burnout too. 

shen - 
Red Stuff - 
HotSteppa - 

Careful,

Same injury.

Eventually, I had to get my (Left) scaphoid bone surgically removed and 4 little bones fused together (“Scaphoidectomy and Four Corner Fusion”).

My wrist just barely bends now, no posting ever again. If you seriously mess up the bones in your wrist, there are very few options.

I’m in the same boat. I keep waiting for the pain in my wrist while doing push ups to get better. Everything else has healed beautifully, but my wrist that was wrist locked about 6 months ago still is problematic.

Shen - did the pain go away after surgery?

Hey Beer Man - 
shen - 
Red Stuff - 
HotSteppa - 

Careful,

Same injury.

I’m in the same boat. I keep waiting for the pain in my wrist while doing push ups to get better. Everything else has healed beautifully, but my wrist that was wrist locked about 6 months ago still is problematic.

One question, if you press on the area that is causing most pain, would you say it is the area immediately under or around your pinkie?

Hey Beer Man - 
shen - 
Red Stuff - 
HotSteppa - 

Careful,

Same injury.

The pain went away 100%.

It’s basically arthritis surgery --After years of bone on bone, you have little choice; lots of pain or surgery.

But I had had so much pain for years. Did 2 painful 6 week rounds of PT, acupuncture, herbal tinctures, etc beforehand. All a huge waste of time. I read about the operation and how painful recovery could be. After the surgery I waited and waited for the stabbing pain to kick in… it never did. Never took any of the painkillers, didn’t even need Tylenol. It was crazy. I couldn’t believe it.

But, as mentioned, you seriously sacrifice mobility.

(Strangely, my BJJ teacher has actually had the exact same procedure on the same wrist)

shen -
Hey Beer Man - 
shen - 
Red Stuff - 
HotSteppa - 

Careful,

Same injury.

The pain went away 100%.

It’s basically arthritis surgery --After years of bone on bone, you have little choice; lots of pain or surgery.

But I had had so much pain for years. Did 2 painful 6 week rounds of PT, acupuncture, herbal tinctures, etc beforehand. All a huge waste of time. I read about the operation and how painful recovery could be. After the surgery I waited and waited for the stabbing pain to kick in… it never did. Never took any of the painkillers, didn’t even need Tylenol. It was crazy. I couldn’t believe it.

But, as mentioned, you seriously sacrifice mobility.

(Strangely, my BJJ teacher has actually had the exact same procedure on the same wrist)

I know some people consider it psuedo science or placebo effect but 15 years ago I received prolotherapy for a finger that was hurting me constantly due to ligament damage. The finger is still somewhat loose but I haven’t had pain in it since the treatment.