Shutdown = wake up call for a lot of “parents”

This shutdown forced parents to be.......... parents. Like, actually have to take care of their kids.  And a lot of them don’t know what the fuck they’re doing. 

4 Likes

For forget they have to cook for their kids too. No more drop kids off at 730 and pick them up at 4 with zer concerns on feeding them

1 Like

I’m a dad of a 15 year old boy. I have no idea what I’m doing. 

I never thought I knew either. 

ive never pretended to know what I’m doing c

1 Like

being a parent is hard work if you want to do it right. Still learning and i have a 19 year old girl, a 16 year old boy and and 8 year old boy. This whole lockdown has been very stressful, but we are getting it down. Luckily school ends for my 2 boys June 2nd. 

I don’t have kids but I will certainly pass on my opinion as fact and cast judgement on those of you fucking up your parenting.  

I mean, I have two well behaved dogs, so it’s basically the same thing.  

3 Likes

2 of mine are college kids I’m quite sure are alcoholics

1 Like

18 month old and 2.5 yrs old with autism. Totally clueless. But it's been great to spend so much time with them

1 Like

In new york state we are still giving lunch and breakfast to households free of charge. pick up line everyday at noon for that day's lunch and tomorrow's breakfast. I'd say around a 1/4 or 1/3 of them are taking advantage and getting the food. 

Also, as a teacher of elementary kids, I've been pretty impressed that around 80% of parents are keeping up and helping their kids get their work done everyday. The ones not doing anything are of course the kids who are way behind during normal times. IT STARTS AT HOME...we all know this. 

My brother has one kid.

She’s in 8th grade and does nothing but sit around and play online games.

She’s a year older than the rest of her classmates but they held her back at one point to help her “catch up” because she was immature and falling behind.

My brother and his wife are nice people but a bit lazy, and they do NOTHING for the kid from an educational standpoint. Never read to her as a toddler, never followed up on homework or schoolwork in grammar school, etc, etc. As a result you have a reasonably bright/articulate kid who does NO work and can barely do D level work.

My bro got a call from the principal yesterday saying that since the shutdown his daughter has done NO work. Not a single homework assignment, class assignment, or test.

My brother is a wuss who says “I just don’t know what to do with her. I ask her every day if she’s doing her work and she says ‘yes’, so what am I supposed to do?”.

Shutdown is shining a light on his piss-poor parenting skills.

Still love him though…

1 Like

I'm struggling to understand why this lockdown has been so hard for people. I understand financially why it is hard. But being around my wife for 6 weeks was great. Being around my youngest son has been great. What is so hard about being a parent? How is it so hard to take care of your kid?

Maybe my kids are different but I just don't get it. I have two kids 17 and 11. Nothing about raising a them is hard. You worry a lot about them. You know they are going to do stupid shit because they are kids. But what us so hard?

Feed them, set rules and boundries, make sure they have good hygiene, make sure they do their school work and take them to the doctor if need be. What is so hard about that?

3 Likes
JoeVIP  - 

I'm struggling to understand why this lockdown has been so hard for people. I understand financially why it is hard. But being around my wife for 6 weeks was great. Being around my youngest son has been great. What is so hard about being a parent? How is it so hard to take care of your kid?

Maybe my kids are different but I just don't get it. I have two kids 17 and 11. Nothing about raising a them is hard. You worry a lot about them. You know they are going to do stupid shit because they are kids. But what us so hard?

Feed them, set rules and boundries, make sure they have good hygiene, make sure they do their school work and take them to the doctor if need be. What is so hard about that?

Be thankful and realize not all kids and situations are the same.

My son just turned 12 a few weeks ago and has a few learning disabilities, so this lockdown has been a complete shit show. Both my wife and I work full time. I happen to work close to home and can come back quickly if needed, but there are times when I simply cant.

The school district he is in is very aggressive and compared to friends of ours that live in school districts nearby, his workload is close to double. Our neighbors are home and check on him, but other than that, he is alone most days. When we get home from work, we go over everything with him, but we basically walk him through it all again. Its tough…more on him than us, and plenty of nights end with him in tears. Its heartbreaking, because he has to be miserable doing this daily.

This is just school. I still have to get him out of the house and exercise, give him time to interact with other kids, and make sure he doesnt smell like a happy meal from not cleaning himself properly. Dont get me wrong, I enjoy spending time with my kid, but by the time we finish his school work, he isnt all the stoked to hang out.

ABCTT_sakurabas ear -

I don’t have kids but I will certainly pass on my opinion as fact and cast judgement on those of you fucking up your parenting.  

I mean, I have two well behaved dogs, so it’s basically the same thing.  

lol this made me giggle like a school girl you bastard. 

kungfugrip -

For forget they have to cook for their kids too. No more drop kids off at 730 and pick them up at 4 with zer concerns on feeding them

Don't kids need to eat after 4:30 is that Gremlins?

It’s been hard to watch my kids after sports were taken away from them. One was really starting to get good at LAX in his first season. The other a wrestler who loves the off season training and tourneys.

School was all right, but you can’t duplicate labs for science classes. Also they were both in a public speaking class which really doesn’t help to do online speeches.

No good parent thinks they know what they are doing. Spoken like someone without kids imo

yes. today’s parents are now experiencing what their parents had to deal with. when i was a kid, schools and sports weren’t invented yet, so mom and dad had to take care of me 24/7. now with the advent of these newfangled schools and the recent innovation of kids playing sports or participating in other activities, parents were spoiled, only having to watch them in the early morning and evenings. this Covid has shown these parents what’s it’s really like to parent. just like ma and pa experienced.

SeattlesbigDprolapsedME -
JoeVIP  - 

My son just turned 12 a few weeks ago and has a few learning disabilities, so this lockdown has been a complete shit show. Both my wife and I work full time. I happen to work close to home and can come back quickly if needed, but there are times when I simply cant.

The school district he is in is very aggressive and compared to friends of ours that live in school districts nearby, his workload is close to double. Our neighbors are home and check on him, but other than that, he is alone most days. When we get home from work, we go over everything with him, but we basically walk him through it all again. Its tough…more on him than us, and plenty of nights end with him in tears. Its heartbreaking, because he has to be miserable doing this daily.

This is just school. I still have to get him out of the house and exercise, give him time to interact with other kids, and make sure he doesnt smell like a happy meal from not cleaning himself properly. Dont get me wrong, I enjoy spending time with my kid, but by the time we finish his school work, he isnt all the stoked to hang out.

I watched my parents do the same thing with my sister who had a learning disability. Growing up I felt bad that I got good grades without trying.

Because of the effort you and the kid are putting in now, he/she will have a productive and successful adult life. Just keep remembering that. Lots of kids in similar situations dont have parents willing to put in the extra work. You are giving your child a better adult life even though it may seem futile right now.

Try doing the schoolwork last. If he has a good day first he might feel better about the homework. If he feels life is about school work which feels impossible he could withdraw. Get him involved in life during the day then try homework.

I have been taking my son to play basketball, which he doesn't even like, before and after schoolwork and I've noticed a huge difference.

3 Likes
Thelonious - 
SeattlesbigDprolapsedME -
JoeVIP  - 

I watched my parents do the same thing with my sister who had a learning disability. Growing up I felt bad that I got good grades without trying.

Because of the effort you and the kid are putting in now, he/she will have a productive and successful adult life. Just keep remembering that. Lots of kids in similar situations dont have parents willing to put in the extra work. You are giving your child a better adult life even though it may seem futile right now.

Try doing the schoolwork last. If he has a good day first he might feel better about the homework. If he feels life is about school work which feels impossible he could withdraw. Get him involved in life during the day then try homework.

I have been taking my son to play basketball, which he doesn't even like, before and after schoolwork and I've noticed a huge difference.

Thanks, man. You have no idea how much I really appreciate it!

Thankfully, the school year is only a few weeks from being over with. Im looking forward to hearing him laugh and smile more.

Mine is almost 1 and it has been cool to be working from home during such a developmental time. Sure he’s audible on some of my calls but it brings a cool connection with clients who ask about him. 

JoeVIP  - 

17 and 11 are ages when kids are pretty self sufficient. younger kids require more attention and supervision. combine that with working from home and you have some less then ideal situations for parents.