Shylock??? Really? Crazy Uncle Joe Biden?

CNN) -- Vice President Joe Biden "should have been more careful" in a speech when he used a term that some consider anti-Semitic, the national director of the Anti-Defamation League said Tuesday.
At a conference marking the 40th anniversary of the Legal Services Corporation, Biden recalled anecdotes from his son's experience serving in Iraq and meeting members of the military who were in need of legal help because of problems back at home.

"That's one of the things that he finds was most in need when he was over there in Iraq for a year," Biden said, "that people would come to him and talk about what was happening to them at home in terms of foreclosures, in terms of bad loans that were being...I mean these Shylocks who took advantage of, um, these women and men while overseas."

ADL National Director Abraham Foxman issued a mild reprimand later Tuesday.

"When someone as friendly to the Jewish community and open and tolerant an individual as is Vice President Joe Biden, uses the term 'Shylocked' to describe unscrupulous moneylenders dealing with service men and women, we see once again how deeply embedded this stereotype about Jews is in society," Foxman said in a statement, first reported by Yahoo News.

The name "Shylock" derives from the name of the antagonist in Shakespeare's "Merchant of Venice." Shylock, a Jew, was a ruthless moneylender in the play, and he's remembered for demanding a "pound of flesh" from the merchant Antonio if he failed to repay a loan.

"Shylock represents the medieval stereotype about Jews and remains an offensive characterization to this day," Foxman said. "The vice president should have been more careful."

The vice president's office did not immediately return a request for comment from CNN.

Biden, who's considering a presidential bid in 2016, heads to Iowa on Wednesday to speak at a kickoff event for Nuns on the Bus, a liberal Catholic social justice group based in Washington.

lol... he really is a dope.

As anti-semitic as they come evidently.

What a schmuck.   lol

Every once in a while I catch myself using the word and mentally slap myself. I don't care if F. Murray Abraham did a freaking brilliant rendition of the character. It's just something I should know better than to say.

Yeah....Palin was the dumb one right? This guy is a treasure trove of gaffes. Obamas first big decision LOL

This country is so fucked. Phone Post 3.0

And a majority of people voted for him. America, you scary!

Dont worry he is a democrat! They cant be racist or prejudiced.

I'm a Jew and the term isn't offensive in the least. Fact: Jews have been good with money and banking and lending for two millennia.

It's a character's name. Get over yourselves.

Biden is a total schmendrik, nonetheless. Phone Post 3.0

Just remember if a shylock jew comes to your house with a shystery loan, just shoot that double barreled shotgun in the air two times to let him know he is not welcome!

It's like using the term gypped. Doesn't necessarily even refer to the ethnic group in question anymore. Just people looking for a reason to be offended.

He said Shylock with an "a" instead on an "er"

Mark Phone Post 3.0

lol forgot about this one

can you imagine if trump said ANYHTHING remotely close to this the reaction?!

Biden has the ADL guy appologizing for him!

HELWIG -

shylock isn't a big deal dude

trump knows how to talk to them anyway, and kushner is probably top 5 people he trusts the most

he gave a speech at the Republican Jewish Coalition and said he would not take their money because they would probably ask for favors afterward

http://blogs.reuters.com/talesfromthetrail/2015/12/03/trump-to-jewish-donors-i-dont-want-your-money/

MarcusAurelioFan - 
HELWIG -

shylock isn't a big deal dude

trump knows how to talk to them anyway, and kushner is probably top 5 people he trusts the most

he gave a speech at the Republican Jewish Coalition and said he would not take their money because they would probably ask for favors afterward

http://blogs.reuters.com/talesfromthetrail/2015/12/03/trump-to-jewish-donors-i-dont-want-your-money/

Shylock is a major insult to Jews.

In Biden's defense, he meant to say dirty jews

best candidate in the entire country for the DNC 

1 Like