Side Control Troubleshooting (inside arm isolation

https://howtheyplay.com/individual-sports/Side-Control-Troubleshooting-How-to-Control-the-Inside-Arm-BJJ

While the "glamorous" side of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu involves fancy back takes, slick submissions, and the like, the outcomes of a match (or rolling session) often depend on much more subtle battles. One such area of contention is the "inside arm" during side control; this is often the bane of a good side control. After all, if you can't control someone from side control for more than a few seconds, you're not likely to get one of those fancy submissions we keep hearing about. On the other hand, if you can keep someone contained indefinitely, it's only a matter of time.

Sub

Three great options Goat. Nice to see you showing the good stuff!!!!

Dude, spot on.  I got a private with Rickson 3 weeks ago and I SPECIFICALLY asked him about this.  He showed me that it's "impossible" to escape bottom cross-side if you cant use the inside arm.  He had me tuck my inside arm in my belt and had me attempt to escape.  I couldn't.  Then he showed several ways to kill the inside arm from on top.

Great concept, thank you for posting. 

Thanks, guys.  I'm happy to help!

Jack Taufer -

Dude, spot on.  I got a private with Rickson 3 weeks ago and I SPECIFICALLY asked him about this.  He showed me that it's "impossible" to escape bottom cross-side if you cant use the inside arm.  He had me tuck my inside arm in my belt and had me attempt to escape.  I couldn't.  Then he showed several ways to kill the inside arm from on top.

I can relate to that since I always have my right arm tucked in my belt. If someone passes to my right and gets a good side control it is much harder to escape with one arm then if they pass to my left (good) side. Leads me to think that while trapping the arm works great, the underlying concept is making that arm useless and taking it out of the picture.

Jack Taufer -

Could Rickson not show you that ANYTHING makes escaping his cross side impossible?

I agree. That's why I'm a big advocate of using your knees/shins more to battle that arm.

Also on the hip switch... I recently saw a nice detail from Roger that got me using arm-in N/S choke a lot. Basically grab the near side knee and turn his hips away so that he can keep his elbow on the mat. Can't find the vid right now...

In addition to getting the inside arm up by uke’s face, you can switch your hips south and pin his arm against his rib cage. This has the same effect and is useful in stepping over to mount.

Jack Taufer - In addition to getting the inside arm up by uke's face, you can switch your hips south and pin his arm against his rib cage. This has the same effect and is useful in stepping over to mount.

yeah but you need to keep in mind that the mounted triangle is a little more difficult because your legs need to cross on the other side. Not saying it's bad, b/c you've still got mount with 1 arm trapped which is great. Just got to keep that in mind and also not let the hand drive up your chin ro start runaway escapes.... This good for N/S choke too as well as paper cutter set up.

I don't think I was clear in what I was trying to convey.  

If you are on top cross side of your opponent on his right side and he has his right arm as the inside arm a little too deep you can switch your hips so you are facing his feet.  Your left elbow would be on his left ear.  Your right hand would have been by his right hip.  

Anyway you switch your hips facing south and the left side of rib cage will be pressing his right fore arm and wrist agsinst his own rib cage.  Your left leg will be running along side the right side of his body.  You can then step over to mount with your tight leg.  

I wasn't referring to any triangles.  Did I explain it better?

Jack Taufer - 

I don't think I was clear in what I was trying to convey.  

If you are on top cross side of your opponent on his right side and he has his right arm as the inside arm a little too deep you can switch your hips so you are facing his feet.  Your left elbow would be on his left ear.  Your right hand would have been by his right hip.  

Anyway you switch your hips facing south and the left side of rib cage will be pressing his right fore arm and wrist agsinst his own rib cage.  Your left leg will be running along side the right side of his body.  You can then step over to mount with your tight leg.  

I wasn't referring to any triangles.  Did I explain it better?

This is exactly what I was picturing... I was agreeing about the value of doing this sort of thing but also discussing add'l details about the position that deserve consideration...like when you step to mount from side control, if you have one arm trapped you can often be even more aggressive and step directly to mounted triangle. However, stepping to mounted triangle is a lot easier when the near side arm is inside the triangle, but in this scenario you would have the far side arm inside the triangle.... Then I was pointing out a few other considerations about what his immediate escape reaction might be and what you need to be ready for. That's all.

...but in general I'm a huge fan of killing the near side arm such as in this vid

I like what you are doing with that arm in the video, but still it is not exactly what I was talking about. In the video you posted, the bottom guy’s hand is pointing toward his own feet after you trap it.

I was TRYING to say that his Right arm elbow (inside arm) is in your hip. His fingers would be pointing north. When you switch your hips his finders still are pointing north but his forearm is stuck between your ribs and his ribs.

Jack Taufer - I like what you are doing with that arm in the video, but still it is not exactly what I was talking about. In the video you posted, the bottom guy's hand is pointing toward his own feet after you trap it.

I was TRYING to say that his Right arm elbow (inside arm) is in your hip. His fingers would be pointing north. When you switch your hips his finders still are pointing north but his forearm is stuck between your ribs and his ribs.

ah ok.. I didn't realize you were keeping his arm bent. Got it.

That seems like it would be difficult to prevent him from basically using his elbow as a frame for shrimping his knee in?...Similar to what bottom person might do against modified scarf hold.

It should be pinned in a way that basically his hand in on his sternum or peck. Its pretty useless. Also, with your hips switched, your left leg will be running along side his body. Play with it. It sucks for uke. Muahahahahaha

Jack Taufer - It should be pinned in a way that basically his hand in on his sternum or peck. Its pretty useless. Also, with your hips switched, your left leg will be running along side his body. Play with it. It sucks for uke. Muahahahahaha

ah... ok. Yeah def do the left leg along side the his body, esp before the step over to mount.

MeatGrinder,

Checkout 1:08.16

Earlier in the video he showes what you are showing but at 108 he shows it being pinned as I was trying to explain.

im gonna post a video by JAvi Vasquez and Rener about crossside escapes right now. Look for it. Its interesting. More fight related.