Side mount escapes?

I feel that my biggest weakness in jiu-jitsu is escaping from side mount, especially when rolling with heavier, stronger guys.

With lighter guys it is easier to shrimp and replace the guard, but bigger dudes are often able to "lock" me in there and I can't get out.

I even find it easier to escape from mount than from side mount.

Any tips of techniques that work for you, vids etc.? Thanks.

Don't let anybody pass your guard. Nuff said.

1. review thread from 3 days ago http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum.posts&thread=1725655&forum=11&page=1&pc=36

2. don't look to replace guard.. he already passed your guard once you want to let him try again ? look to come to the top.

I usually don't, but again, the muscle heads tend to pass my guard with strength.

1. what spiderRicco said.

Thanks, bonez05, I do prefer being on top. Any good tech tips on gaining top position from being side mounted?

this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTnW0MxrcKA

You need to combine the escapes. When ur mounted, a just bumping and rolling will never get u out u got to combine the shrimping with it. Same principle for side control: just replacing gaurd barely works sometime u need to bump up and go to the single leg position or use that to replace gaurd or armbar. Phone Post

Barry Soetoro Jr - I usually don't, but again, the muscle heads tend to pass my guard with strength.

How does "strength" help in guard passing? Again, not to seem abrupt but you need to work on not allowing ANYBODY to pass your guard, Period!!!

Barry Soetoro Jr - I feel that my biggest weakness in jiu-jitsu is escaping from side mount, especially when rolling with heavier, stronger guys.

With lighter guys it is easier to shrimp and replace the guard, but bigger dudes are often able to "lock" me in there and I can't get out.

I even find it easier to escape from mount than from side mount.

Any tips of techniques that work for you, vids etc.? Thanks.

Use your hands to push their head away so they can't get base on you. You have to make space once they pass your guard.

On another note, buy Andre's Guard DVD. Solve the problem of getting your guard passed!

the problem with your crossmount is your guard. they are seperate. when the guy passes guard, he get side. don't let him pass.
if you open your legs first you control his passing game. if he opens your legs he controls the passing game.
don't let him pass doesn't mean, hold tighter.

people will block your elbow escapes with simple body movement or by blocking your hips.

They with let you go to the knee's to darce,necktie,anaconda,elbow over the shoulder guillotine you or atleast take your back.

I started escaping once I started using the elbow push escapes plus the turtle guard sweeps...but the elbow push escapes are money in the bank because you can escape if your late in the defense to a pass.

2 stripe purple so maybe you should find a higher belt opinion but thats my 2 cents

A) Need to know what kind of passes they're using. And

B) Work for a while on just preventing the pass, instead of trying to sweep or submit. If you're relatively new, your attacks probably lack a lot of accuracy and they are just waiting for you to attempt to attack them, so they can pass.

Try this; drill w/ a partner passing your guard @ 40-50%, and you keep 1 hand in your belt. Be sure to reset your feet inside of his arms whenever he starts to make progress using a circular motion w/ the feet. You'll be surprised how hard you are to pass just from changing your mindset alone. Always try to keep him directly in front of you when you are defending, so that you remain in a neutral point.

Your escape starts BEFORE you are pinned.

cdog1955 - Your escape starts BEFORE you are pinned.

Well said!

think about your problems in simple stages not as one big problem. example...if he is able to control you,what is allowing him to control? most of the time you will see that the biggest problem is he is able to establish good grips. find simple ways to break the grips.

Shameless self-plug: I made this video a few years ago. Sometimes, people say nice things about it.

There are only three roads out of the Side Mount: (1) recompose the guard, (2) go to your knees/feet and establish a neutral position, or (3) bridge & roll to exchange positions.

All techniques will fall into one of these three categories.

When they substantially commit their arms (and weight), you will need to bridge and roll (or swing your legs and roll) to move their weight off of you. All other times, you will look for separation between your chest and his, in order to get onto your side and proceed to guard/you knees. The video above shows some basics for the creation of that separation.

PS - Escaping the Side is the hardest area of training, especially in your first 3-5 years. Be patient, and take the time to really develop these escapes, so that they won't trouble you in the future.

Good training to you!

~Chris

twinkletoesCT - thanks. Good video!

for later