Sidekicks in San Shou?

Hey guys. As I've mentioned in another post, I've yet to see a San Shou fight though I'd love to. Anyway, I was wondering about the use of the sidekick in San Shou.

I used to do taekwondo and the lead side kick was one of the two most frequently used kicks (the other being the turn kick). It worked great in tkd but when I started training with kickboxers, muay thai fighters, grapplers and other styles, I found the side kick to be more of a liability and the muay thai kick to be much more practical. Previously, the tkd instructors would express their disdain for the muay thai kick because it was too slow (coming off the back leg, not snapping the kick, etc).

Based on my experiences, I gave up almost everything I learned in tkd and based my kicking more on savate and muay thai. I still use some of my old tkd kicks for the fun of it and they still work (I actually caught one of my partners with a spinning hook kick last Monday and I catch a lot of people with spinning back kicks). I use the side kick on the occasions when my body just happens to be in the right position for it, but I rarely do it otherwise because it just doesn't seem practical. Although it can be a powerful kick, it usually doesn't do enough damage to risk getting the kick caught or having it swept by and exposing my back.

Both muay thai and san shou are full-contact arts where techniques that don't work in the ring will be short-lived. I was under the impression that this was the reason I've never seen muay thai fighters use it. Yet in san shou there are even more attacks available to a person taking advantage of a failed sidekick (like a back suplex for example) and yet, from what I read, side kicks are used quite frequently. Can someone please explain this to me?

Lautaro

They work well at putting the guy out of the ring with out using the energy you would use in a throw or a takedown. The downside is that you can leave your self open to some nasty tricks.

A good sidekick is actually much harder to catch than a thai round kick. In sanda if a fighter is too liberal in throwing thai kicks the kick is gonna get caught and he's gonna get swept repeatedly. On the other hand, a sidekick thrusts straight out and comes back in quickly. Its hard to catch, and it pushes the opponent out of the range at which he can close in and grab your body for a throw. And a well timed sidekick to the midsection can really knock the wind outta ya. On the other hand, in MT fighting the sidekick isn't that practical because you can't really follow it up with good combinations.

i got a site with a bunch of san sho fights, it not clips its WHOLE fights. plus the site has some kung fu stuff.

up

"i got a site with a bunch of san sho fights, it not clips its WHOLE fights. plus the site has some kung fu stuff."

Address? Thanks

I agree with Maxximus, and i also think that the side kick is best used in Karate or taekwondo competitions and is not really very useful as a everydy technique in mma fights. Like you said, the sidekick is most useful when the situation presents itself to you.
"snapping a kick" is usually not advised by my instructors as it takes away the power compared to a deadlegged kick. Also, in the long run, it hurts your knees.

The side kick is as effective as the person that uses it.

i mean they do have whole fights.

here ya go.

shaolinwushu.tripod.com/movies.htm