Signs of Alien Life Will Be Found by 2025

"I think we're going to have strong indications of life beyond Earth within a decade, and I think we're going to have definitive evidence within 20 to 30 years," NASA chief scientist Ellen Stofan said Tuesday (April 7) during a panel discussion that focused on the space agency's efforts to search for habitable worlds and alien life.

"We know where to look. We know how to look," Stofan added during the event, which was webcast live. "In most cases we have the technology, and we're on a path to implementing it. And so I think we're definitely on the road." [5 Bold Claims of Alien Life]

Former astronaut John Grunsfeld, associate administrator for NASA's Science Mission Directorate, shared Stofan's optimism, predicting that signs of life will be found relatively soon both in our own solar system and beyond.

"I think we're one generation away in our solar system, whether it's on an icy moon or on Mars, and one generation [away] on a planet around a nearby star," Grunsfeld said during Tuesday's event.

Recent discoveries suggest that the solar system and broader Milky Way galaxy teem with environments that could support life as we know it, Grunsfeld said.

For example, oceans of liquid water slosh beneath the icy shells of the Jupiter moons Europa and Ganymede, as well as that of the Saturn satellite Enceladus. Oceans covered much of Mars in the ancient past, and seasonal dark streaks observed on the Red Planet's surface today may be caused by salty flowing water.

More:

http://news.yahoo.com/signs-alien-life-found-2025-nasas-chief-scientist-212655192.html Phone Post 3.0

It's just Earthlings from the future driving their silver Lambhorhinis from time to time Phone Post 3.0

They already made this statement around this time last year and it's still not true.

You cannot predict "signs of life" being found, especially when they're really talking about "Potential signatures of life". Finding Methane doesn't mean life exists on that planet; it only means that it's possible that life produced that methane. It'll only tell them that such a planet should be focused on more.

After that, it might be a very, very long time before they can get a new type of telescope ot actually see if life exists.

"They already made this statement around this time last year and it's still not true."

i think you mean, still not proven.

Life is pretty much the result of chemistry and physics operating within certain limits.

Unless you are religious, it is the only explaination for our existence.

Proving it can happen on other planets is just a matter of time.

We are not a unique snowflake, we are the result of a rare set of circumstances.

I can not wait for this moment.

Please be within my lifetime!

fingers 'n' teeth - "They already made this statement around this time last year and it's still not true."

i think you mean, still not proven.

Life is pretty much the result of chemistry and physics operating within certain limits.

Unless you are religious, it is the only explaination for our existence.

Proving it can happen on other planets is just a matter of time.

We are not a unique snowflake, we are the result of a rare set of circumstances.

I mean it's not true that signs of life WILL be found by 2025. Saying something repeatedly does not make it true.

We don't know enough about life to say whether or not there is life throughout the universe.

Life on Earth arose out of very precise and seemingly improbable conditions, many of which we are probably not even aware of.

We like to assume that our galaxy is teeming with life, but even that may not be true at all. We might be the only life that has ever and will ever arise in the Milky Way. It could be that on average, one planet per galaxy produces life. It could also very well be that on average, one planet per universe gives rise to life.

We really don't know enough to say.

I'm not a religious man nor do I believe in god or a creator. But I'm also not going to believe that the universe is exploding with life everywhere just because to question that makes me look like I'm rejecting science in favor of a religious view of life.

We might very well be a unique snowflake. It depends on how rare all the circumstances are throughout the galaxy and the greater universe are and we simply do not know those circumstances well enough besides pointing out the unprecedented long-term stability that this planet has been afforded for billions of years. Our moon, the mass of Earth, the type of star it orbits at the perfect distance from it in a solar system that is at the perfect distance from the Milky Way's core and outer edges, to the type of galaxy it's in, to having a a distant gas giant that keeps constant extinction-level bombardment of asteroids at bay, to having a planet like Mars produce a precursor to life that must be blasted off so that it can make it's way to Earth at the right time.

You know what would really be creepy, if we knew for certain there was no other life in the Universe.

That would be pretty damn terrifying IMO.

AngryFoamy - 

You know what would really be creepy, if we knew for certain there was no other life in the Universe.

I believe that's one of the reasons why we are so quick to assume that this galaxy and universe is teeming with life.

Maybe if we found that we are all alone, it'll force many of us to revisit  "creationism". I think a lot of people hate that idea because religion has turned it into a dirty word.

Didn't they find bacteria on a comet?

"Omg, alien life!" Phone Post 3.0

Jack Carter -
AngryFoamy - 

I believe that's one of the reasons why we are so quick to assume that this galaxy and universe is teeming with life.

Maybe if we found that we are all alone, it'll force many of us to revisit  "creationism". I think a lot of people hate that idea because religion has turned it into a dirty word.

I won't go into religion, but I agree that scientists and normal folk say things like this because it would be terrifying if no other life existed in the universe.

It'd terrify me. Mainly because of what it could do to human culture. Phone Post 3.0

clattymine - Didn't they find bacteria on a comet?

No. I wish. Phone Post 3.0

That would be the biggest news pretty much ever... And you are acting like it would mean nothing lol. Unbelievable Phone Post 3.0

The Green Bastard - 

That would be the biggest news pretty much ever... And you are acting like it would mean nothing lol. Unbelievable Phone Post 3.0

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/nasa-scientist-evidence-of-alien-life-on-meteorite/

This is what I was thinking of ... LOL ... close but no cigar.

I am also sorry for not carring about bacteria.  Give me some walking around aliens and I'll get excited.

Ridgeback - 

You can tell right when the PR company worked with NASA to start up the whole finding alien life campaign to get more funding.  I guess they got a little tired of handling Muslim relations for Obama. 

Accurate prediction imo Phone Post 3.0

In for alien pussy.

uniquetechnique - It's just Earthlings from the future driving their silver Lambhorhinis from time to time Phone Post 3.0
Fucked up thing is those little gray bastards look Asian.

We are fucked because I haven't heard of any fuckin round eye aliens from the future. Phone Post 3.0

clattymine - 
The Green Bastard - 

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/nasa-scientist-evidence-of-alien-life-on-meteorite/

This is what I was thinking of ... LOL ... close but no cigar.

I am also sorry for not carring about bacteria.  Give me some walking around aliens and I'll get excited.

you wouldn't wonder where the fuck the bacteria came from? how it would be different from the bacteria we know? If it had DNA? RNA? I could go on and on... seriously i am in shock lol

droplogic - What a stupid thing for a scientist to say. Phone Post 3.0

Yes what business do scientists have in making predictions?