Simms is a liar.....

BJM is a mediocre referee at best. One day someone will be seriously injured due to his ineptitude (worse than he injured Brian Johnson, I mean).

Sims should have never been allowed in the UFC. He bascially doesn't have the skills to fight top notch fighters. Maybe he can be the "heavyweight gatekeeper" ala Big Daddy (Pride). Kyle, regardless of the "bite" cleanly KO'd the nut. I don't think Sims in shape can beat Kyle or anyone else for that matter.

ummm...nobody really answers your thread ernd b/c you are a retard and not taken seriously. :) have a nice day

You know, in all my boxing matches the referee always warned us to protect ourselves at all times. Not sure what BJM said but come on...Simms is a fighter and he should know better. He stumbled to his corner, turned his back on the action, in the middle of a fight. He got KTFO from ensuing punches...not the bite, not BJM instructions/directions, etc. I am not a fan of Kyle's, nor do I particularly like Simms but this is silliness. ANYONE who has been in the ring knows they are responsible for their safety, let's not reach for the stars to affix blame to someone else. Simms actions lost him that match, he looked done when he stood up and stumbled to his corner. The bite is another matter entirely. It clearly was a foul and a cheap/low class display by Lyle. Not condoning it at all...just I think these are separate issues in a crappy fight.

"Another thing is Kyle said he had a mouthpiece in his mouth so he couldn`t have bit Sim`s . Well he is the liar because you see the teeth marks from his bottom teeth which as far I know have no mouthpiece on them"

You can get upper and lower mouth guards. I believe Cabbage wears both (you can see him put in a bottom mouth guard before his fight w/Arvolski. W/that said I have no idea what type of mouth guard Kyle wears so those could in fact be teeth marks on the bottom.

I am sure that Kyle did bite into Wes Sims chest. You could see the marks. How hard did he bite him, I cant tell you. Wes never said anything about the bite until Kevin Randleman said something about it after the fight was over. Wes started screaming out during the fight when Mike was putting him in the can opener. Wes is a really tough person who took that fight with no time to train. He was defeated by fatigue as much as anything else. Fighters are told before the start of the fight to defend themselves at all times. Wes knows this, but again he was extremely tired and was trying to catch some air so he could make the end of the round. Near the end of the fight Wes made a motion with his arm that at the time I thought was him motioning his corner to stop the fight because he was tired. I am not positive what he was attempting to do. After the fight I talked with Wes and asked him if he felt he was being bit, why did he not say something to notify me, because it was impossible for me to see the bite take place. Wes stated that he tried although the only times he made any noise or said anything was during the can opener and when he asked how much time was left in the round. Hey up with evil, You seem to live way in the past. Your right, my arm hit Brian's nose when I went in to stop the fight. You need to look at Reza Nazire's nose. It was pushed over about 1 inch on his face and he was completly out. All I thought about at the time was stopping Brian. I apologized to Brian and he accepted. Hope you can get over it too. That fight took place back around UFC 13. Quite awhile ago.

BJM, thanks for taking the time to elaborate. You are exactly correct from my recollection. I NEVER once saw Simms react or say anything about a bite until AFTER the fight was over. I watched it a few times and still didn't see any reaction to the bite. Normally, when people are bitten hard they react immediately and attempt to get space. Anyone remember seeing Lindland's opponent's reaction to his bite? How about Holyfield's reaction 2x to Tyson's bite? Both were immediate, dramatic reactions typical of being bitten. I never saw Simms facial expression change or indicate a bite at any time on the ground (he only reacted to a can opener with a grunt/groan I believe). BJM's version squares with this. I think Lyle indeed bit him, albeit not particularly hard. Did it have an effect on the outcome? No. Did Simms and his corner play it up after the fight? Yes. Bravo to Simms for stepping up on short notice. Boo to Lyle for biting. However the bite was not what defeated Simms. Fatigue caused him to quit, basically. The rest was after match drama and intrigue.

"Hey up with evil, You seem to live way in the past. "As a referee, you're no Jersey Joe Walcott.

Big John told them both to go their corner. Be a little bit sure about what you are talking about before you start labeling fighters "liars".be a bit sure what you are talking about before you tell people to be a bit sure what theyre talking about before they label fighters "liars".

Hey, Big John, thanks for getting on the thread and talking to us.

Do you know if Big Wes has appealed the decision based on the bite or if any other appeal has gone to the NSAC? The bite may not have been pouring blood, but that sort of behaviour is just what this sport doesn't need.

So you're saying he IS Jersey Joe Walcott?

Sims lost the fight and the bite didn't effect the outcome IMO

But that doesn't mean it is OK to blow off the bite. What Kyle did was wrong and he should be reprimanded for it in some way shape or form. Rules are Rules regardless of anything else.

http://www.groundnpound.org/

So, out of interest, why is stomping a disqualification and biting only a foul? If it's only a point in penalty I can understand why a fighter would bite in order to get out of a locked-in sub.

What other emergency tactics only cost a point then? What about fishhooking, or small joint manipulation?

UWE I am not sure what you are trying to
accomplish. BJM is one of the best refs in the
sport, if not the best, and is BY FAR the most
influential. He has done an enormous amount of
good for MMA.

He is not perfect, on account of the fact that he is
human, in one of the toughest jobs in all of sports.
There are hundred of thousands, or millions of
people watching, and he has to make countless
split second decisions, constantly, with a lot riding
on it.

I don't get the Walcott references? Are you just
joking around about the whole thing?

I have reffed a few times at very small shows. If you have never done it, you have NO idea how fast things move, how many judgements/decisions you have to make immediately and throughout the entire fight. It looks so much easier than it is when sitting in your living room, drinking a beer, and watching it from all the angles that the camera give you, not to mention when they replay things. I can only imagine that in a show as big as the UFC, the situation is that much more stressfull than in the few small shows I have reffed. I think John does an outstanding job. I think that John is the best and most experienced ref in the business. If I ever fought again, I would want John reffing my fights. If I ever cornered a fighter in the UFC, I would want him to ref the fight.

I watched the fight and did not see or hear Wes being directed to his corner by John. Fighters know to protect themselves at all times. That is the most important rule in the ring/octagon. Wes chose to turn and walk towards his corner. He could have been confused due to being exhausted and/or hurt. It was an error in judgement on his part. It happened. It was nobody's fault.

From the marks, it is hard to dispute that Wes was bitten. He didn't have the bite mark when he entered the Octagon, didn't bite himself, didn't see John bite him, guess that leaves one person left who could have possibly bitten him. Since it did not effect the outcome of the fight, it should probably not be a DQ. It was, however, a flagrant violation of the rules and some action should be taken against Kyle for doing it, IMHO. If the fight had continued, I am confident that at least a warning would have been issued, and likely a point taken away from Kyle for the first round.

Just my opinions.

Respectfully:

Fred ?

"UWE I am not sure what you are trying to accomplish. BJM is one of the best refs in the sport, if not the best, and is BY FAR the most influential."

I don't think BJM is anything more than average as a referee. He's certinly experienced, but nowhere near the best. I think he's been party to some of the most inconsistent and fight-changing standups in MMA history, and he was certainly derelict in his duty in the Sims/Kyle fight. Sims didn't turn his back and run like Ortiz vs. Silva, he was clearly and obviously going to his corner immediately after a stand-up in anticipation of a restart. If McCarthy didn't order him to his corner, he nonetheless has an obligation to protect Sims from an undefended attack from behind and should have ordered Kyle to stop. He could have then reprimanded Sims for not following instructions, even penalized him, but he chose the worst possible action, allowing a professional ass-kicker to charge Sims unexpectedly before he could defend himself. That's a pretty good recipe for someone getting hurt.

"I don't get the Walcott references? Are you just joking around about the whole thing?"

He accused me of "living in the past". So I picked a referee from the past. If I could remember who reffed the Johnson vs. Jeffries fight, I'd have used him instead. That's all.

"Fighters are told before the start of the fight to defend themselves at all times"

When a fight is restarted, the fight is STOPPED, the action is stopped, and the fighters are separated. It is NOT the same as turning your back DURING the fight. The referee has the duty to make sure the fighters are ready for the restart, which was not done here.

I do not think McCarthy did anything intentional, but clearly his actions of allowing Kyle to charge at Sims when Sims had his back turned were not consistent with the Athletic Commission's concern for the safety and welfare of the contestants.

"Do you know if Big Wes has appealed the decision based on the bite or if any other appeal has gone to the NSAC?"

In the process.

BJM told Simms to turn around.. and he didnt.

What was he supposed to do, wait for him to do so? DQ him?

That match had lots of unpredictable twists, but dont blame BJM if Simms refused to turn around cause he was dazed or confused.

What would YOU have done?

"BJM told Simms to turn around.. and he didnt.
What was he supposed to do, wait for him to do so? DQ him?"

Watch the fight. BJM signals for the fight to start BEFORE he tells Sims to turn around. Obviously not intentional, but still a huge mistake.

"What would YOU have done?"

Not taken the fight on one day's notice.

Law Dog, I hear your points and agree with some of them but respectfully when you are inside the ring protect yourself AT ALL TIMES means just that. It is a man's sport and participants should conduct themselves as MEN. Lyle violated the rules, clearly, and should be sanctioned for that. Simms was looking for an out, unfortunately his out was KTFO. You are correct, he shouldn't have taken the fight on such short notice. But blaming McCarthy, the bite, the weather, the moon, the stars, etc. is fundamentally wrong IMO. In this fight I didn't see much from either participant to brag about. Pretty sad match, neither came away with much respect from the fans I suspect.