Simpsons mock Christianity

Note: this is not an up in arms thread or even really complaining, just my observation.

I've been watching the Simpsons since I was a kid and it's always been one of my favorite shows. As I got older I began to notice that the writers had a more than coincidental desire to mock Christianity.

It seemed to start off innocently enough, with digs here and there. But as I watch now even the newer episodes are more and more packed with it. But the thing is, it's not even clever anymore. They're trying too hard to be offensive.

It went from having Flanders be an ultra religious Christian fundamentalist(which was amusing at times as he refused to vaccinate his kids and said "You could call me a caveman...if they existed...which they didn't") To just poorly delivered shots such as Bart sarcasticaly criticizing ancient peoples and saying "We worship a carpenter who lived 2000 years ago" and Homer keeping a flask of booze in his Bible and saying "This is the gospel according to puke"

The point of this isn't what I personally find funny, but what the writer's motivation for this continued agenda is? Is it the same sob story of "I was force-fed religion as a kid so now I can get back at them by mocking it every chance I get"?

I realize nothing is sacred these days regarding whats off limits for comedy. Thoughts?

I dunno. Perhaps the writers realize that their audience is primarily Christian or at least knowledgeable about the tenets of a religion they wish to demean or mock. In addition, I believe it's really the only religion safe to mock. Mocking other religions brings way too much trouble these days.

It's unfortunate that more people don't realize that tho.

Puzzled

Sad, but I totally agree. I never noticed many of these things when I was younger, but now that I have grown as a Christian and person I think that some of it is very uncalled for.

To bad these jokes can't be plaid out to the tune of any other stereotype. Then i might laugh, but continuous mockery of one religion gets mighty old.

I stopped watching the Simpsons after the Richard Gere episode where he told Lisa it was ok to pretend to be a Christian and the rest of the family was fine with it too. I was really offended by it

I think it's satirical. Also, it's 'cool' now if your a younger kid to rebel against christianity, it's seen as close minded, extreme, etc. It's also more material they can write about. How many episodes have they written? Lots.

My favorite: Flanders: we took the airbags out of the car, the church doesn't approve of them.

BludHall,

Why are you even on the HolyGround. Go take your bashing somewhere else.

Whaa Whaa, someone wants to act like a dick on this thread and make everyone hate him.

Dude, get a life and go to the OG with your attitude.

"My favorite: Flanders: we took the airbags out of the car, the church doesn't approve of them."

Perfect example. That fits in with the rest of Simpsons style humor. But some of the stuff is like they can't even come up with a clever joke so they just blurt things out in an offensive manner to try and get their agenda across.

Another thing: Lisa has always been potrayed as the stereotype liberal. She is smarter than everyone else, and doesn't need her family's religious beliefs. When something religious does happen like the angel is found or they see a shimmering star in the sky, she believes like everyone else but then it's revealed to just be a trick or coincidence.

"EVERYTHING IS FUNNY, get it?, now get over it"

This type of attitude is why nobody respects each other or anything anymore. And that's not even true by the way, people only go after the things they can get away with, some stuff is still "protected" and "off limits"
Example: If you are a comedian and you mock Christianity, you get some laughs and push people's buttons. You mock Judaism, your career isn't going anywhere.

Being able to use humor as a defense/coping mechanism/social commentary in all situations is NOT why nobody respects each other anymore. How do you justify that statement?

You don't have to find everything funny, but that doesn't mean that it's off limits for humor. How do you determine what's ok and what's not?

The idea that nothing is sacred and you can openly mock the most cherished beliefs of people IS part of the reason why nothing is respected anymore.

"How do you determine what's ok and what's not?"

Personaly? I would say that something that you know could inspire a physical fight is a joke that is better left unsaid. Examples would be making fun of a person's religion, race or things like national tragedies or a death in the family.

Aren't people responsible for their own thoughts though? If you don't like the types of humor used by a certain person, show, whatever, stop hanging around that person or watching that show. I'm sure it won't kill you to hear it once.

I think that the lack of respect is what allows mockery to occur. Don't you think people should work on their hatred and ideas instead of censoring humor, which is the symptom, not the problem.

What about making fun of my own religion/race/death in the family? Is that ok? What if 99% of people are ok with it, and 1% aren't, can we make fun of something then?

I, for one, wish for the days of church oppression and total control of the clergy over the common man. They should start chopping people's fingers off if they don't believe in God and only stop when they confess He is really real and they need salvation.

I mean, if you guys really cared about people then you would force them to see things as you do. Right?

SCRAP

"I, for one, wish for the days of church oppression and total control of the clergy over the common man. They should start chopping people's fingers off if they don't believe in God and only stop when they confess He is really real and they need salvation.
I mean, if you guys really cared about people then you would force them to see things as you do. Right? "

Now, do you SEE that in this thread?

Most have gone out of their way, like the initial poster ("this is not an up in arms thread or even really complaining, just my observation") and to say they like the Simpsons.

They have a right to object if they feel they're being picked on unfairly, don't they? I worry when the mere act of objecting brings that sort of reaction.

don't blame God for mistakes humans made in his name.....alot of rulers have used and still use today God as a way to motivate people for political gain....don't confuse God with buildings of wood and stone and actions of corrupt kings and popes of old...

"the-top, but you have to understand that a lot of people have a bitter taste in their mouth over religion. Many people see the church's history of being extremely oppressive as still being relevant today (I am one of them), so it's almost unbelievable to them that the church would get mad over something like that."

Fair enough, but wouldn't you say you're being a bit bigotted yourself? In that I mean you cannot correctly only view it as bad-- aside from the benefits it gives its members, they feed and cloth and provide education for a lot of poor people, succor the sick and dying, etc.

"The church's history of oppression?"

This: "Nobody was burned at the stake for heresy or anything"?

I don't think they've burned anyone at the stake for quite some time. It's a bit like holding a grudge against modern mongolia for bringing the black plague to europe.

And I think the Simpson's is a remarkable show. I do recognize that, as one of the only targets that's still fair game, christianity is going to get a lot more arrows from comedians (if they did this against Islam they'd get a lot of heat-- or death threats). But because of its fair game status, I don't believe it's cutting edge comedey, you know?

"I think anytime you try to base every bit of concrete universal knowledge on one book"

Who does that? Fundementalists I suppose. Certainly not the modern Catholic church. But you've switched from hating Catholics to hating ultra-conservative protestants here. Christianity isn't one big monolith you know.

"Examples would be making fun of a person's religion, race or things like national tragedies or a death in the family."

How about posting ignorant statements (and calling it facts) about homosexuals, that for sure would offend a homosexual person, is that ok?

i've always been amused by those Christians who complain about repression and mockery of their religion, when they live in THE MOST CHRISTIAN COUNTRY IN THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Who here has ever been personally persecuted by the church? If so, how?

"Maybe I'm ignorant here, but I thought the Bible was the word of God?"

That's probably a different thread. But I would say, technically speaking, the statement "the bible is the word of God" would be considered incorrect, at least in the modern catholic sense.

"But that wasn't my point. My point was the the propencity for that kind of "stake-burning" environment is still here to this day."

Ah, you meant it as analogy? But you must understand christians, generally speaking, wouldn't subscribe to the post-modernist view that there is no wrong, just personal opinion. I don't think the church necessarily persecutes these days. The hold opinions and express those opinions. Saying that's "stake-burning" strains the analogy to it's breaking point and makes you appear more judgemental than they.

From tonight's simpsons: Duff Man Confused, What Would Jesus Do.

"i've always been amused by those Christians who complain about repression and mockery of their religion, when they live in THE MOST CHRISTIAN COUNTRY IN THE ENTIRE WORLD!"

i too find that amusing....i dont know if any of you actually watch the simpsons, but their mockery does not end with christianity...they have even made fun of the jews, hindus etc...

have you noticed that? or is there an agenda against christiaity?