Single leg to double leg

Can anyone describe to me how to transition from a single leg takedown to a double leg takedown? I'm interested in things like,

- if your head is in your opponent's ribs when you have the single leg, should you put your head on the outside when you do the double?

- when is it a good idea to transition from the single to the double?

etc...

Barsagar

Second set of pictures:

http://www.sarasun.com/uatechkick.htm

When - Whenever you are not able to take the opponent down with the single.

How - Shift you head to the outside, grab the other leg and lift and push the opponent at the same time.

Extra tip - hook and sweep the leg with a outside trip when swithching from a single to a double.

"Take a step or two backwards, when the guy hops toward you to regain his balance, lounge forward a pinch his knees together. "

Should I try to take him down backwards or to the side?

"Lead" him forward to reach the leg he is standing on, then take him down to the side...just my opinion"

To the side

never go straight backwars. turning the corner (forcing opponent to the side) is a much better way of ensuring the takedown.

ttt

There are so many variations. It really depends on how they respond to your single leg attempt. Their reaction is what determines whether you would transition to a double leg or not.

Personally, I think the best application for a single - double switch is to use the single leg hold as a hook to swing you around the backside to their far leg, thus giving you a hold on both of their legs (from behind). Can't sprawl out of that one. The way for them to defend against this type of takedown requires upper body control (not a simple sprawl). So most guys in MMA will be clueless since most everyone abuses the sprawl like crazy and doesn't work on anything else for takedown defense.

The question is, can you setup your single leg well enough? That is more important than anything for takedowns. Most people in MMA do a shoot without any setup. That is just like doing a low kick without a setup, which also happens a lot in MMA and in Kickboxing.

Doing a single off a head snap or arm drag is often effective. You want to get their weight off the leg that you are doing the single on, so that it is light as a feather when you grab it. You can do the single - double switch off a short shoot, from within arm's length, if you set it up properly.

It's unexpected. If you do it right, then 90% of them will go down.