SJSU alumni stepping up

Brett Barron, former Olympian and SJSU alumni is supporting the World Team effort by matching JI funding for athletes that win more than 3 matches at the World Championships.

Details can be found at www.usjudo.org, click on what's new. Its the story from August 26th.

Yet, more evidence that collegiate judo, learned under the SJSU system is the way to go in developing judo in the United States.

Really, do you think its a coincidence that the first person to step up and support these athletes came from the SJSU program?

I don't. Its obvious. Yosh Uchida develops athletes who become citizens who want to make a difference. Brett Barron is still making a difference 20 years later.

A week later, someone else followed Brett's leadership by example, and is contributing to the effort.

JI gets the credit, I guess. I dunno. I think SJSU deserves it more. Someone had to step up to make the plan work, and it was a SJSU guy. Thanks again to Yosh Uchida for developing athletes with character.

I re-iterate that collegiate judo, SJSU style, is the long term path for success in US judo.

ttt for the SJSU Spartans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Although Brett did train with SJSU some during his competition years I don't think he is alumni from the program. I might be wrong though. I still think that what he is doing for the World team is great though.

SJ's mascot is the Spartan?

What do they do during Football Games?

Does one Spartan run out during half-time and fend off a gazillion Persians before going down in a flurry of blood, fists, feet and swords?

We are the Spartans. There is also the Santa Cruz Banana Slugs. During half time the Spartan runs over and pours salt on their mascot.

John wrote,

"Although Brett did train with SJSU some during his competition years I don't think he is alumni from the program. I might be wrong though. I still think that what he is doing for the World team is great though."

Damn. I always thought Brett Barron and Bob Berland were SJSU guys on the 84 Olympic team.

John Serbin--judo guy threadkiller.

ooops! I can definitely see where with Brett, Bob, and Mike usually found at the tournaments chumming around together that they look like former team mates. Brett is kind of an honorary SJSU guy.

Not a threadkiller because Brett's philanthropy should be extolled about. As well as others who give shamelessly, unselfishly and selflessly to help judo.

Brett is on of us

There were a large number of guys who trained here during that time -
Brett was one of them. But let us not forget that he has been workingin
the San Mateo area and helps at Cahill's a whole lot. Brett was just
finishing his career here when I came to state, and yes used to whoop my
behind as did Damon Keeve. Is he still working in the city?

David

I remember Brett arm-barring half the fellas he competed against. I remember at the nationals in Pittsburgh '87 Jason Morris winning his first title by defeating Brett.
Brett was bulldog tuff.

Damon Keeve was a huge looking dude for his weight class, big, strong, rangy fighter who would often grip just with his left hand. I read years ago he was a good boxer also. Hell, Dave he must have had about 60 or 70 lbs on you.

"Damon" Don't forget that he was/is mean as a grizzlie bear, not to
mention as big and strong as one.

Hey guys...Brett suffered a tragic loss recently. His nephew passed away in a vehicle accident in San Mateo a few weeks ago. If you get a chance you guys who have known him over the years maybe give him a call and some support.

Michael

Damon still works out recreationally. Still strong as heck!

Michael