Skill Differential

I've noticed that when I grapple with (the many, many) people more skilled than I, that I feel very unstable, always over- or under-extended, and basically like a clutz.

On the other hand, when I grapple (the very few) people not as skilled as I am, I feel very solid and stable and pretty much able to move how I want, when I want.

I'm trying to figure out what exactly accounts for this difference. I'm sure timing is a major factor. The better people are moving (even very small, subtle movements) just that much more timely than I am, putting an obstacle in one place, taking the stability out from under me in another. Sensitivity seems to be another, in that they can feel and adjust on the fly both faster and on a smaller scale than I can. Awareness to what's going on is probably another, as is raw processing ability (familiarity allowing them to come to churn through the possibilities faster).

Anyone have any insight into this?

It is kind of like a dance, I think. Someone leads and the other follows. When you are better than your opponent, you will naturally lead them to wear you want them to go, even if you are just taking advantage of their mistakes rather than forcing them into a position or submission.

When someone better than you rolls with you, they do the same thing. They put a kind of pressure on you that limits your options and makes you give them what they want. Hard to explain, but I think you will notice when you roll with a total beginner that you either give them no option because your movement is so strong and assured, or you leave them just enough rope to hang themselves.

I know when I go with the better guys at our gym the are constantly getting me off center and creating angles for themselves.  If I am in their guard they are moving my arm off center while scooting their hips to the side.  If they are passing they are trying to flatten my back to the mat to keep me square.  Once they have the angle I have to play catch up to try to get back in position.  If they are more skilled then me they either don't let me back in position or transition to another angle and attack from there. 

Very interesting analogy, Andre! Thanks!

What do you feel when you roll with someone of roughly even skill? Do you end up leading in turns, when each of you are in their own specialty, or in superior positions?

"If I am in their guard they are moving my arm off center while scooting their hips to the side."

I find with the better people they can do this to me, and I can't stop them, and when I try on them, they feel immovable. Then, with someone not as good, I can move their arm, they can't stop me, but they can't move mine.

It sounds both simple and yet strange when I think about it. It's just an arm, so there must be specific skill components at play.

"What do you feel when you roll with someone of roughly even skill? Do you end up leading in turns, when each of you are in their own specialty, or in superior positions?"

I havent met anyone equal to me skill yet.

JUST KIDDING.

Seriously though, I think it just depends on the day and the position. I have some positions that I am 99% sure I can be effective in no matter who my opponent is. When I reach those positions, I am definitely leading. Also, there are positions in which I am unskilled and will definitely have to follow and get lucky to get out of.

There are usually multiple things going on to create an angle.  It may seem like the guy is just pulling the arm but really he is probably crunching his abs in, switching his hips out, shifting his weight from one side to the other, applying pressure with a hook or foot in the hip.  I am always amazed at how many small details can make such a big difference in a technique working or not.  

It is kind of like a dance, I think. Someone leads and the other
follows. When you are better than your opponent, you will naturally
lead them to wear you want them to go, even if you are just taking
advantage of their mistakes rather than forcing them into a position or
submission.

I agree. That is an interesting analogy!

Mike

Canada's
Best Karate

I agree with Andre's analogy.

But bottomline I attribute the difference to experience in and of itself.

Experience is hard to explain but its benefits are evident.

Experience is something a person can't give you nor is it something that one can relate to unless one has it for themselves.

After you cultivated and nutured your own experience than you'll have a better understanding.

I think a lot of it is pure alpha male intimidation.

You know the guy is better than you, so you hesitate to commit. You wonder what he's going to do and try to adapt to it. It's like you're walking on the sidewalk in opposite directions and you subtly allow him the right of way.

I know I roll much more technically, smoothly, economically with someone at my level or below than I do with someone above me. Someone is better, and I begin to tense, to get defensive, to not extend myself -- beta male.

Cheers!

Joe

PS to rene -- you still owe me the pics and video from the last tournament, no?

Joe - Did you and 'Ord not get in touch about the pics? I don't think we found any video, but it was a while ago, so I'll go back and check.

I suck so take my insight with a grain of salt...

IMO what seperates a beginner from and advanced grappler is the mastry of base and posture not flash moves or number of techniques... As you progress you develop beter base and and posture and you learn how to disrupt the base and posture of your opponet...

Think about how everyone says "the basics are what works..." It's not really the basics working, it's the way they are executed... If do right no can defense...

An example would be the first guard pass shown in Renzo's and Royler's Gi BJJ book... the one where you slide your arm under thier leg until thier calf is on your shoulder... the fourm was up in arms claiming that that will get you triangled every time... watch Bolo's Ultimte Guard Passing vol. 1, he explains how to execute the pass with correct base and posture, it makes the triangle impossible...

As a grappler gets better he will use his base and posture to out position the opponent, it's that simple...

PRESSURE

andre,very good

Rene:

No, never did. Really wanted some too, as I was actually in shape for that fight ;)

Contact me at jnATsosuabytheseaDOTcom when you can

Cheers!

Joe