Slack: How McGregor Stole Mendes' Wind

Nice analysis by Jack as usual.

I wrote a post on the fight as well which outlined some different points (like how Mendes was able to land on McGregor and even take him down). With pictures and everything. Would love to read your feedback on that as well:

http://www.subjectmma.com/ufc-189-post-fight-analysis-mendes-vs-mcgregor/

SubjectMMA - 

I wrote a post on the fight as well which outlined some different points (like how Mendes was able to land on McGregor and even take him down). With pictures and everything. Would love to read your feedback on that as well:

I liked this a lot. Are you planning on updating that site more regularly in the future?

bartatua - 
SubjectMMA - 

I liked this a lot. Are you planning on updating that site more regularly in the future?

Glad to hear and thanks for asking. Yes I will update it more often. I can't not write about MMA anymore. :)

zebers3 -
bartatua - As always a good and entertaining analysis, but I disagree with his breakdown of the main event, partly because it isn't internally consistent with the rest of his own argument:

"Chad Mendes could have come in to the cage in peak condition, ready to compete in a triathlon, and he still would have wound up out of breath and lost out in the open were he taking those snap kicks to the body."

Later:

"You won't see thrusting front kick used much in MMA because it seems to easy to catch, yet in the main and co-main event of UFC 189 alone you must have seen about twenty or thirty snap kicks with the ball of the foot land in the midsection of Chad Mendes and Robbie Lawler."

Interesting, then, that he blames the same technique that didn't gas Lawler out even going into the fifth round, and delivered by a larger and more powerful fighter, on Mendes sucking wind even in the first round (and I think MacDonald landed more significant shots to the body than MacGregor did even, though correct me if I'm wrong). Likewise, Mendes has worked top position in the guard plenty without gassing from it.

That's because McGregor landed WAY more shots to the body in one round than Rory did in the 5 rounds they fought. If Rory had landed that many in the first round I'm sure it would have had a similar effect, but he only landed about 3 body shots each round. McGregor landed three times as many in just 2 rounds.

Also robbie wasn't trying to do monster double legs on Rory. Wrestling eats up a gas tank.... Phone Post 3.0

bartatua - To clarify, I think both the body shots and the short notice fight were significant factors in the outcome. Crazy, I know. I don't agree what Mendes still would have gasses in round 1 had he not taken the fight on short notice. He's went 5 rounds without issue and taken hard shots to the body before. The short notice is a more notable variable in my eyes because unlike being hit in the body, it was not a factor in his previous, non-gassing fights.
This.

Mendes went 5 full rounds at a good pace and wasnt as gassed at the end despite taking way more damage overall (not counting the stoppage). Full training camp and peaking at the right time make a difference especially at that level.

We wont know how much of an effect the body shots were unless we see a proper rematch at some point. Phone Post 3.0

Jack Slack, can we get an article on Robbie vs Rory. That fight was mostly stand-up as well.

FetusofFury - What the fuck is this guy talking about?

"with a full camp he'd have McGregor's number for certain. McGregor was never in trouble and is, in fact, the greatest fighter to ever live"

So, against a Chad Mendes with a full training camp, Conor would have lost, however Conor is, in fact, the greatest fighter to ever live?

Is this the same guy that writes the Underground Blog?

Read it a few times junior. Wrong context Phone Post 3.0

So now we've had Jack slack, Max Holloway, and Cub Swanson all say that body shots took a lot of wind out of Mendes. But people are still arguing they didn't. Phone Post 3.0

"with a full camp he'd have McGregor's number for certain. McGregor was never in trouble and is, in fact, the greatest fighter to ever live"

So, against a Chad Mendes with a full training camp, Conor would have lost, however Conor is, in fact, the greatest fighter to ever live?

If you are reading posts on the UG with logic, you are doing it wrong. Phone Post 3.0

MrHughes1991 -

Read it a few times junior. Wrong context Phone Post 3.0
I agree with him - it doesn't make sense. Those two sentences are mutually exclusive. Phone Post 3.0

SubjectMMA - 

Glad someone finally pointed that although in defeat, Mendes was able to land real solid shots.

ClydeErwinBarret - 
SubjectMMA - 

Glad someone finally pointed that although in defeat, Mendes was able to land real solid shots.

I believe he could have fought safer and avoided a lot of the damage. It's almost like he doesn't care about getting hit because he knows the opponent will fold before he does. He was reckless in this fight and while the constant pressure ultimately broke Mendes, this style of fighting may work against McGregor in the long run.

Sorry, but if there wasn't a very significant difference between a 2 week and an 8 or even 10 week training camp, fighters wouldn't have 8 and 10 week training camps.

If BLAF announced a rematch tomorrow, does anybody think Mendes would have another 2 week camp? Of course he wouldn't, neither would Conor. We've seen it how many times?? Guy picks up a fight on short notice, needs the dough or is a company man, doesn't want to pass up an opportunity, whatever the reason, guys do it and you can almost always see a huge difference in preparation, cardio and game plan specifically.

Bottom line, that wasn't the best Mendes in any way shape or form. Naturally, that makes me a "Hater", right UG?

Conor is a beast and will be a tough outing for anyone in the division. Expecting someone to step in on two weeks notice and be at his best is asinine. Saying it had no bearing on the outcome, especially as it pertains to conditioning, well... that's just retarded, sir.

JunkieDog - Sorry, but if there wasn't a very significant difference between a 2 week and an 8 or even 10 week training camp, fighters wouldn't have 8 and 10 week training camps.

If BLAF announced a rematch tomorrow, does anybody think Mendes would have another 2 week camp? Of course he wouldn't, neither would Conor. We've seen it how many times?? Guy picks up a fight on short notice, needs the dough or is a company man, doesn't want to pass up an opportunity, whatever the reason, guys do it and you can almost always see a huge difference in preparation, cardio and game plan specifically.

Bottom line, that wasn't the best Mendes in any way shape or form. Naturally, that makes me a "Hater", right UG?

Conor is a beast and will be a tough outing for anyone in the division. Expecting someone to step in on two weeks notice and be at his best is asinine. Saying it had no bearing on the outcome, especially as it pertains to conditioning, well... that's just retarded, sir.
VU but your use of logic and reason will not go well for you. Phone Post 3.0

btfos - 
SubjectMMA - 

Its funny how you say "Mendes landed a lot on the feet" ...YET you can only point out 2 specific exchanges...you say "he landed a variety of uppercuts, hooks, and over hands"...YET all you can provide "evidence" for are over hand rights....and even in all the stills you posted you cant see one punch from Mendes landing super cleanly on the chin...I would love to see someone post just one gif of Mendes landing one clean significant damaging shot on the feet. You wont be able to because the reality is that Conor rolled with Mendes' shots that did get through..and Conor utilised range control - subtley hoping back, to avoid everything else from Mendes...He was also able to keep Mendes distracted or off balance with lead hand probes and fients (which also set up some of his lefts) Mixed with his switching speeds and variety of attack (teeps, spinning kicks, lead lefts, probes, counter lefts) he had Mendes completely confused, not knowing what was coming, when it was coming. Its actually scary what Conor does to opponents. Completely makes them lose their mind. Conor put a striking clinic on Mendes....Im sorry, but aside from you ability to create lots of pics/stills from the fight, it sounds like you really dont know what youre talking about....or you were that Mendes fan claiming he would expose Conor and you cant come to terms with what actually happened. You are definitely no jackslack

I thought it was extremely impressive for McGregor to finish Mendes like that within two rounds. I couldn't be more impressed by his work to the body. But can I also look at the fight objectively?

If you re-watch the fight, you'll see Mendes landing several times. Obviously McGregor did more damage since Mendes was done after two rounds while McGregor looked fine, but I don't understand how you can watch the fight and not see the shots Mendes landed.

For example, I just fast-forwarded to 2:30 of the first round. Within the next 30 seconds, McGregor eats at least two bigger punches: first in the scramble, then at the center of the cage (I have a picture sequence of that moment in the blog post). Within that 30 seconds, Mendes also lands a nice counter after slipping McGregor's punches.

Did no one notice that Mendes started looking fatigued about 30 seconds into the fight, before he took a bunch of body shots? Conor trolled him into getting too emotional and ampd up from the get go. Phone Post 3.0

C-Hamzeh - Did no one notice that Mendes started looking fatigued about 30 seconds into the fight, before he took a bunch of body shots? Conor trolled him into getting too emotional and ampd up from the get go. Phone Post 3.0

Mendes absorbed eight body shots within the first 60 seconds of the fight. Just ONE really good one might make the difference but imagine absorbing McGregor's kicks every 7.5 seconds (you're still trying to recover from the previous shot).

LawFitz -
bartatua - To clarify, I think both the body shots and the short notice fight were significant factors in the outcome. Crazy, I know. I don't agree what Mendes still would have gasses in round 1 had he not taken the fight on short notice. He's went 5 rounds without issue and taken hard shots to the body before. The short notice is a more notable variable in my eyes because unlike being hit in the body, it was not a factor in his previous, non-gassing fights.

When was he hit like that to the body in his earlier fights?
This Phone Post 3.0

JunkieDog - Sorry, but if there wasn't a very significant difference between a 2 week and an 8 or even 10 week training camp, fighters wouldn't have 8 and 10 week training camps.

He's not saying the camp wouldn't have made a difference in his conditioning and overall readiness. He's saying that the body kicks would have still sapped his wind either way.

btfos - 
SubjectMMA - 
btfos - 
SubjectMMA - 

Its funny how you say "Mendes landed a lot on the feet" ...YET you can only point out 2 specific exchanges...you say "he landed a variety of uppercuts, hooks, and over hands"...YET all you can provide "evidence" for are over hand rights....and even in all the stills you posted you cant see one punch from Mendes landing super cleanly on the chin...I would love to see someone post just one gif of Mendes landing one clean significant damaging shot on the feet. You wont be able to because the reality is that Conor rolled with Mendes' shots that did get through..and Conor utilised range control - subtley hoping back, to avoid everything else from Mendes...He was also able to keep Mendes distracted or off balance with lead hand probes and fients (which also set up some of his lefts) Mixed with his switching speeds and variety of attack (teeps, spinning kicks, lead lefts, probes, counter lefts) he had Mendes completely confused, not knowing what was coming, when it was coming. Its actually scary what Conor does to opponents. Completely makes them lose their mind. Conor put a striking clinic on Mendes....Im sorry, but aside from you ability to create lots of pics/stills from the fight, it sounds like you really dont know what youre talking about....or you were that Mendes fan claiming he would expose Conor and you cant come to terms with what actually happened. You are definitely no jackslack

I thought it was extremely impressive for McGregor to finish Mendes like that within two rounds. I couldn't be more impressed by his work to the body. But can I also look at the fight objectively?

If you re-watch the fight, you'll see Mendes landing several times. Obviously McGregor did more damage since Mendes was done after two rounds while McGregor looked fine, but I don't understand how you can watch the fight and not see the shots Mendes landed.

For example, I just fast-forwarded to 2:30 of the first round. Within the next 30 seconds, McGregor eats at least two bigger punches: first in the scramble, then at the center of the cage (I have a picture sequence of that moment in the blog post). Within that 30 seconds, Mendes also lands a nice counter after slipping McGregor's punches.

When watching fights objectively you're not supposed to go "ooh and awe" at every punch thrown. That's what you did with Mendes. You were not watching objectively for what ever reason. Again my friend, how many clean punches on the chin did Mendes actually land on the feet? Clean to the chin shots while STANDING? Re-watch the fight and pay closer attention. You will see:) Assuming you can admit you were wrong. Youre also ignoring the shit ton of left straight leads and counter lefts Conor was battering Mendes with on the feet.

I've re-watched the fight plenty of times and I guess we'll just have to disagree.

Thanks for the tips.