Slater Arrested: Attempted Murder

LARGO - Former professional wrestler ``Dirty'' Dick Slater was arrested on a charge of attempted murder Saturday, with authorities alleging that he repeatedly stabbed his ex-girlfriend.
Slater, 52, used a kitchen knife with an 8-inch blade to stab Theresa Halbert, 41, at Halbert's home, 12735 137th Lane N., Largo police Sgt. George Edmiston said.

At the time, Slater was moving the last of his possessions out of the house after he and Halbert had broken up, Edmiston said.

Afterward, Slater was found at a residence off Seminole Boulevard.

After the stabbing, he apparently overdosed on pain medications he routinely takes for injuries suffered during his wrestling career, Edmiston said.

He was expected to remain in police custody at an area hospital until he is medically cleared for a transfer to the Pinellas County Jail, Edmiston said.

Halbert was treated for three stab wounds at Sun Coast Hospital and released.

When she returned home, she gave The Tampa Tribune this account of what happened:

Halbert said she had allowed Slater to pick clothes after she broke up with him several months ago and he had moved out.

After he asked her to help him get the clothes out of a bag in her bedroom, she said, he came up behind her with a knife and punched her in the head, knocking her down.

He then sat astride her as she lay on the floor, and when she grabbed the knife, he turned her over and stabbed her in the back, Halbert said.

She also was stabbed in the arm and leg, police said.

Then he got up off her and told her he wanted her to lie on her bed so he could watch her bleed to death, Halbert said.

Halbert said she then started begging. She said she told her ex-boyfriend that she still loved him - even tried to kiss him - as a ploy to get him out of the bedroom so she could call 911.

''I just kept begging him,'' Halbert said. ``That's what I used. I wasn't going to use anger because I didn't want to die. He's an ex-wrestler so he gets angry real quick.''

A dejected Slater then told her he was going to kill himself, Halbert said. She said she told him she didn't want that, but that she had to call 911 for her injuries.

He then left, and she called for help at 12:17 p.m.

``I was nice enough to let him come get his clothes but he wigged out on me,'' she said.

Halbert said that Slater has been retired from professional wrestling for six years, and that they had been together for the past seven.

Link

Courtesy of Wrestling Observer

"Dick Slater, a major pro wrestling star of the 70s and early 80s, was arrested in Largo, FL, on charges of attempted murder yesterday because police alleged he stabbed his ex-girlfriend three times with a kitchen knife with an eight-inch blade. His former live-in girlfriend, Theresa Halbert, 41, was hospitalized yesterday with stab wounds to the arm, leg and back, but was released later in the day. Slater was picked up later by police having overdosed on pain medications and was being held in Pinellas County Jail. Halbert claimed she allowed Slater in her house to pick up some of his clothes, when he punched her, grabbed the knife, turned her over and stabbed her. She claimed he said he wanted her to lie on her bed so he could watch her bleed to death. Slater told her he was going to kill himself and left the house, when Halbert called 911."

Very sad....on some many levels!

always some chick

Slater did't exactly look like the sanest guy to ever step in a ring.

LOL@ Vic Mackey

He was one of the Hardliners. THE HARDLINERS!!!!!!

HE WAS A TOUGH , MEAN OLD SONOFABITCH.....WHAT A LOSER HE HAS BECOME...IT IS SAD

HAAAARRRDLINERS!!!!!!!

What a dirty dirty.... Dick.

that's pretty sad,

what a dick.