Sledgehammer training

Well I found a sledgehammer and an old punching bag and decided to switch up my training. Does anyone have any pointers or good routines? I'm pretty much just hitting the thing and switching my stance every 20 swings or so.

Well, there are 4 basic strikes, from over head, left/right down swing, golf swing left/right and baseball swing left/right. Let your hands gets used to it, if you over do it initially, you will have to take a week off and let your hands recover. Personally, I do 25 strikes per side for a fixed number of sets (right now I do 8 sets per side, totalling 200- I aim at getting 500 before summer is over but it is rought on the hands!). This will also work your shoulders, upper back and forearms in ways you are likely not used to, so give yourbody a week or two to get into it before you start cranking out 100s of strikes.

If on a light day:

25/25 left/right downward swing, 25/25 overhead swing (reversing grip), repeat for 100-150 strikes per side. Rest = 2 breaths between sets. Use a pace that requires you to work but not so hard that after 15 strikes you slow down, you should be doing all 25 strikes at about the same pace.

Hard day (I do other stuff on hard days light hill sprints and sand bag lifting)

25/25 left/right downward swing, 25/25 OH swing, 25/25 l/r DW swing, 25/25 left/right baseball swing, repeat until hands are destroyed.

MS

Here are a couple of articles from Mike Hartle on sledgehammer training (need to scroll down a little bit):

http://www.renegadetraining.com/archives.html

http://www.renegadetraining.com/archives.html

ttt

In MaxCondition training we utilize a wide array of different movment patterns vetical swing, half moon swing, figure 8, lumberjack swing etc... I also incorporate sledge training in combo with sled drags, jump rope and various elements of Gpp.

Sledgehammer offers a variety of benefits to the user. Refer to Intoduction to sledghammer training at www.maxcondition.com.

My new book MaxCondition also discusses various implications of sledgehammer training.

coach hale
www.maxcondition.com

figure 8s! Oh, I can just imagine what that does to the forearm, I'm gonna try that tommorow.

Todays workout
5 minutes jump rope

5 minutes hindu squats

5 minutes sledgehammer tire strikes(25L/25R, repeat)

5 minutes jump rope

5 minutes hindu squats

5 minutes sledgehammer tire strikes(25L/25R, repeat)

Total: 30 minutes continuous work, followed by 1 mile ride to track, where I proceeded to run 3 400m laps (~85 second lap with 90 second active recovery)
Sledgehammer is 10lbs. I am working with this weight for a while. I have a 16lber in the garage waiting for me

ttt

I found a very nice training tool in my fathers garage, it's basically a long steel pole, 175cm long, 10kg and 3cm thick. the leverage is incredible, i do overhead strikes but dont actually let it touch the floor. I watch out for proper form and try to keep the motion smooth and continuous. I feel my whole body working on stabilizing and moving it, of course the arms, then the core and even the legs, it's awesome.