Sleep apnea

Who has it? I have to go get tested. Phone Post 3.0

I can tell you this, the majority of folks who get sleep studies get recommended a cpap.

I had the study done and was told I had very borderline apnea. I never got used to the cpap so I took it back. Phone Post 3.0

I do, it sucks realizing you had it for years untreated. It can cause a shit ton of problems for you that you always just assumed were normal. I would also suggest seing an ENT Dr. as well since you usually have a harder time breathing out of your nose when using one. You end breathing with your mouth when you sleep and you'll feel better but your mouth will feel like the sahara when you wake up.

Make sure you get your allergies and sinus under control

I have it. Slept with cpap for like 7 years now. 

I do. CPAP helps a lot. Enjoy actually sleeping, you will probably be surprised how tired you were.

Fat World Problems, imo

I got tested but just got diagnosed with Mass Insomnia/ restless sleep syndrome. In a 5 hour period I woke up 8 times, but no Apnea. They gave me some hardcore sleeping pills for when I can't knock off

I suspect EVERYbody gets told they need the cpap, or at least get told they need a 2nd test for it.

I went in for a sleep test, after having another issue during my sleep (turned out to be acid reflux, which I had aspirated).
1. Even with GOOD insurance, the sleep test was FUCKING EXPENSIVE. Like $800.
2. They had no input at all about the problem which caused me to be referred to them.
3. They did a hard-sell "used car salesman" pitch about how dangerous "apnea" is, and that I really needed to come back for the second test. They called several times, trying to talk me into coming back.

The Dr.: [concerned, serious voice] "You STOPPED BREATHING XX times during the night!" (I don't remember the number, but it was double-digit)

Me: "Did someone have to resuscitate me, or did I 'restart' breathing on my own without waking up?"

Dr.: "Well, Sleep Apnea can be a VERY serious condition."

Me: "Really, how often do people die from it?" (the answer is NEVER, btw)

That was several years ago. I'm still alive, and still sleep as good as I ever have, WITHOUT a cpap machine. I adjusted my diet and haven't had a reflux issue in years.

Find out how much you are being charged BEFORE you commit to this.

sadic1 - Fat World Problems, imo

This isn't the same as not being able to breath effortlessly through your nose, is it?

has anyone with OSA ever tried a MORA appliance?

beatbum -

This isn't the same as not being able to breath effortlessly through your nose, is it?

Yeah, what's it called when u have trouble breathing through your nose while sleeping? Phone Post 3.0

Pig Bun - I suspect EVERYbody gets told they need the cpap, or at least get told they need a 2nd test for it.

I went in for a sleep test, after having another issue during my sleep (turned out to be acid reflux, which I had aspirated).
2. They had no input at all about the problem which caused me to be referred to them.
3. They did a hard-sell "used car salesman" pitch about how dangerous "apnea" is, and that I really needed to come back for the second test. They called several times, trying to talk me into coming back.

The Dr.: [concerned, serious voice] "You STOPPED BREATHING XX times during the night!" (I don't remember the number, but it was double-digit)

Me: "Did someone have to resuscitate me, or did I 'restart' breathing on my own without waking up?"

That was several years ago. I'm still alive, and still sleep as good as I ever have, WITHOUT a cpap machine. I adjusted my diet and haven't had a reflux issue in years.

I've been on a CPAP for about 5-6 years now. I'm pretty sure that I have had sleep apnea since i was a teen. My friends used to say I'd snore and quit breathing. Since I got used to the CPAP I can tell a huge difference in how I feel, even though I never really thought I felt "bad". But it isn't sleep apnea that kills you, per se, it is the medical problems it causes. It can cause pulmonary hypertension because your heart has to work so hard to try to get oxygenated blood while you are basically holding your breath multiple times per hour while asleep. That and you never get really good sleep because your body wakes up to open your airway, even though you might not be aware. Phone Post 3.0

sadic1 - Fat World Problems, imo
Actually, mine is due to neck structure and large tonsils and soft palate. Phone Post 3.0

Check the decuctables.

Mine has a humidifier in it.

Thanks for the info. All of the treatments are free I think in Canada so that's not a problem.

I do feel tires sometimes at work and thought it might be because of me not sleeping well. Phone Post 3.0

TFK_MIB Got to Me - 
Actually, mine is due to neck structure and large tonsils and soft palate. Phone Post 3.0

Fat necks count, too.

Pig Bun - I suspect EVERYbody gets told they need the cpap, or at least get told they need a 2nd test for it.

People NEVER die from it?

http://www.uwhealth.org/referring-physician-news/death-rate-triples-for-sleep-apnea-sufferers/13986

sadic1 -
TFK_MIB Got to Me - 

Fat necks count, too.
Mine is husky Phone Post 3.0