SlingTV... Anyone Using?

I'm getting ready to dump Xfinity cable for a cheaper alternative.   Hulu is just as much as regular cable so I'm looking at SlingTV.

Anyone have any experience with it?

I do.

It was pretty good for live viewing. My wife and I watch everything on Hulu/Netflix, and we're willing to wait a day for shows so we don't have to deal with commercials. I got Sling last year so I could watch live NBA games on ESPN and TNT, and it was good for that.

When NBA season was over I couldn't justify the expense, even as little as it was. High-quality product, too. I didn't suffer from low frame rate or buffering issues when watching on my iPad, it looked the same as my HDTV.

I recommend it, if the channel package works for you.

I love it, it's completely replaced cable for us. We have been using it for 6 months, never had a problem with it

I've used it for a couple of years now, no complaints at all 

Hulu live over Sling for me anytime other than football season.

more choices for news (FOX, CNN, MSNBC, FOX business, CSPAN, etc) instead of just CNN & Bloomberg.

more Regional FOX channels for baseball.

free 50 hours of DVR.

Xfinity instant tv for me......DVR capability, the on demand library..Much more customizable....Get to pick the channels you want without getting ones you wont ever watch...

I use philo, better choices

I enjoy it. I like it for hockey season because you can get NBCSN, nhl network and nfl network. It really pisses me off that my location somehow doesn’t get regular NBC. That’s my only gripe. 

I looked at my current channel lineup for Xfinity and checked the channels I actually watch. There aren't many. It looks like the blue package for $25 has all I watch plus more. 

As far as sports, I only watch MMA so FS1 is all I need and that is in there.  I wanted to get Paramount for Bellator but that's another $5 for 1 (+8) channels I don't want so I'll probably just continue to miss Bellator.  I would like to watch them but they don't warrant paying extra money every month just for them, and a re-branded Spike TV.

I like to watch Conan (TBS) just about every night but I don't need to see the new broadcast.  I could watch each the next day and it would be the same to me.

I expect to be using my iphone or pad with an lightning to HDMI to my TV.   Anyone see any issues with that?

Also, are there any fees or other bullshit, or is it just a flat fee?

I used to have Sling but use DirecTV Now because of the AT&T discount and free HBO. I think DirecTV Now has a better picture than Sling but I haven't used Sling in almost a year so maybe it has gotten better.

Sling for me sucked... All the channels.I wanted were on demand rather than live and most sports channels were blocked in my region.

FETT_Loadin76_TFK -

Sling for me sucked... All the channels.I wanted were on demand rather than live and most sports channels were blocked in my region.

What does that mean exactly?   For instance, if The Walking Dead comes on Sunday @ 10pm, you can't watch it then?  You have to wait and watch it the next day?

Definitely in for answers.

ive also wanted to know which is the best product if one wanted to watch sports, preferably combat sports. I’d like to know which gives you the most bang for your buck if you want to keep up with ufc, boxing, Bellator, bamma, combate Américas and such.

another question: does streaming direct tv now, Hulu live, sling require you to have unlimited highspeed on the phone? May sound like a stupid question but I know that The instagram app doesn’t place high speed restrictions when using it. You could run out of high speed, but it won’t a apply to instagram. Thought I’d ask.

thanks.

I found this:

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/youtube-tv-vs-cable-tv-replacements,news-24578.html

Post/Publish date is 02/02/18.

Helpful comparative info is there.

I've used Sling TV, PS Vue and DirectTV Now all within the last year or so.  

I used Sling for about 6 months and it was pretty decent with the pluses for me being cheapest price at $25/month, intuitive UI and decent on demand selection.

I switched to DTVN due to some promo pricing and continue to use it at the regular price.  I think the framerate is much better for sports and I like the selection of local channels (CBS, NBC, Fox, ABC, etc) more than compared to Sling.  I could probably get a HD Antenna for local channels but am too lazy.   

naevehane -
FETT_Loadin76_TFK -

What does that mean exactly?   For instance, if The Walking Dead comes on Sunday @ 10pm, you can't watch it then?  You have to wait and watch it the next day?

Like if it were amc on demand you couldn't tune in at 8pm and watch it live. It would just have a list of 30 episodes you could choose from and the new one wasn't one of them.

I've been reading a lot more.

Any of the complaints I see for Sling seem to revolve around people who don't read or understand the details/info regarding sports and local channels, or people who pay extra for overnight shipping on the free Roku device (promotional) and it actualy takes 2-3 days to arrive.  Per internet standards, most complaints seem to be from people who are their own worst enemy and take no responsibility for their own stupidity. 

I'm really thinking I'm going for it.  I'm going to do the 2 month pre-pay with free Roku device (after I read up on that first). I'm going to call Xfuckery about 1 week before my next billing period. 

The beauty is being able to cancel Sling at any time. If it goes bad, I could go without cable for a while.  I've done it before.  It's liberating and that was before the internet is what it is today.

east -

I've used Sling TV, PS Vue and DirectTV Now all within the last year or so.  

I used Sling for about 6 months and it was pretty decent with the pluses for me being cheapest price at $25/month, intuitive UI and decent on demand selection.

I switched to DTVN due to some promo pricing and continue to use it at the regular price.  I think the framerate is much better for sports and I like the selection of local channels (CBS, NBC, Fox, ABC, etc) more than compared to Sling.  I could probably get a HD Antenna for local channels but am too lazy.   

I'm really doing this to save money. I'm broke as fuck and need to lower all my monthly bills.  I just compared pricing on a lot of them. 

I currenlty pay around $40 for the cable part bundled with internet.  Then there's the broadcast fee, and local sports fees which just adds to the amount being taxed.  Considering I don't watch sports channels, that's a waste of my money.

Looking at DirectTV, XfinityTV, Hulu, Philo and Sling;  Sling has the channels I prefer, the one sports channel I want for the price I need. 

As for the local broadcast antennae, yeah.  I'll either grab a cheap one or make one.  There's lots of "how to's" online and I'm a crafty kind of guy,

I've had it since it came out.  We initially got it to watch walking dead, but now mostly use it for my kids to watch Nick jr.  It's ok, nothing great.  I can't remember if i pay extra for it or not, but it has DVR.  I recorded a ufc event on Fox Sports 1 or 2 a few weeks ago and tried to watch it half way in.  It wouldn't allow me to rewind until the recording was complete.

I also tried to pause or rewind a movie i was watching on some channel that was ondemand and it wasn't allowed on that channel and it ended up restarting the whole movie; i was like an hour into it.  The different rules for different channels thing sucks.

Right Hand JO Power -

I've had it since it came out.  We initially got it to watch walking dead, but now mostly use it for my kids to watch Nick jr.  It's ok, nothing great.  I can't remember if i pay extra for it or not, but it has DVR.  I recorded a ufc event on Fox Sports 1 or 2 a few weeks ago and tried to watch it half way in.  It wouldn't allow me to rewind until the recording was complete.

I also tried to pause or rewind a movie i was watching on some channel that was ondemand and it wasn't allowed on that channel and it ended up restarting the whole movie; i was like an hour into it.  The different rules for different channels thing sucks.

I saw some complaints online about that but it seemed to be people attempting to pause live channels/shows, which are essentially being broadcast as "live" tv, like when a show airs for the first time on regular tv.  i.e. confusing on-demand with live tv broadcast.  [never mind, i just reread your comment and saw that you were for-sure using ondemand]