SlingTV... Anyone Using?

naevehane - 
east -

I've used Sling TV, PS Vue and DirectTV Now all within the last year or so.  

I used Sling for about 6 months and it was pretty decent with the pluses for me being cheapest price at $25/month, intuitive UI and decent on demand selection.

I switched to DTVN due to some promo pricing and continue to use it at the regular price.  I think the framerate is much better for sports and I like the selection of local channels (CBS, NBC, Fox, ABC, etc) more than compared to Sling.  I could probably get a HD Antenna for local channels but am too lazy.   

I'm really doing this to save money. I'm broke as fuck and need to lower all my monthly bills.  I just compared pricing on a lot of them. 

I currenlty pay around $40 for the cable part bundled with internet.  Then there's the broadcast fee, and local sports fees which just adds to the amount being taxed.  Considering I don't watch sports channels, that's a waste of my money.

Looking at DirectTV, XfinityTV, Hulu, Philo and Sling;  Sling has the channels I prefer, the one sports channel I want for the price I need. 

As for the local broadcast antennae, yeah.  I'll either grab a cheap one or make one.  There's lots of "how to's" online and I'm a crafty kind of guy,

Check out Philo (as someone else mentioned), it's $16/month and has a nice selection of cable networks although no local networks or sports channels.  Might be a good fit.  

NotForgetGayJesus -

Direct TV now is far superior.

i was day 1 with Sling until DirectTV Now came out with more channels at a better price.   

Both are good,  but I lll take Direct Tv Now over Sling 

Is DirectTVnow compatible with Nvidia Shield?

Hulu is maybe $12 / month. My cable costs me $105 / month. If you can get cable for $12 / month, I'd stick with it!

Hashtag -

Hulu is maybe $12 / month. My cable costs me $105 / month. If you can get cable for $12 / month, I'd stick with it!

That's just for on demand stuff.   If one wants live TV, then Hulu Live is required and is around $40 a month.

UPDATE: I picked up SlingTV Blue yesteday.  

I was going to go with the 3 prepaid months and Roku Ultra for $50 but was hesitent not knowing how well it would handle ilve sports.   I wanted to see how well it handled the live UFC card first so I went with 2 month prepaid and the free Roku Express.    

I ran it from iPhone 6s with a lightning to HDMI adapter to my TV streamed on Wifi.   It did pretty good.  There were about 3-4 pauses in between fights but at this point I think that may have been the wifi.  I've got a new wifi access point being delivered on Tues. so we'll see if that stabilzes thing.  Otherwise, at this point I haven't watched much.  I picked up a digital broadcast antenna for $20 for local stations.  

I did this primarily for $$$$ reasons.

Here's my breakdown…

Comcast was about $40-$45 plus $15 TV fees + state tax for standard definition and countless channels I didn't watch.  So.. around $60 for standard def. and less than 10 channels I watched.

With SlingBlue: $25 mo. (I was taxed on my first bill, so I don't know about future taxing).

SlingTV is HD (comcast wanted to charge extra for that and I refused to pay xtra for it). It also has the channels I watch in the same packages, whereas other providers seemed to split them up.

So, here I am.   Once I get the Roku and new wifi AP set up, I'll know better and post an update.

If all goes well, I am going to upgrade to the Roku Ultra and connect direct vua ethernet.

Here's the channels.  These are pretty much what I watched with Comcast, plus a few Comcast didn't have.  It's still not exactly "ala carte" because there's stupid shopping channel(s) and they jam spanish speaking channels in there.  I don't appreciate or agree with putting those in unless they are requested or ordered as add on's but overall, I can't complain right now.

Animated GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Not a fan, but it's geen a few years since I tried it. What I didn't like was the channel limitation (no MTV?), and that only some stations allowed me to skip commercials. This could have changed since then.

Now I have an Xfinity subscrition with a CableCard. I use it with an HDHomeRun Prime, and turned my computer into a server. I've only had it for a few weeks, but so far it's the best system I've had. I use the AppleTV Channels app, but I'm sure it's available on Roku and other set top boxes.

Mullet @ Heart -

Not a fan, but it's geen a few years since I tried it. What I didn't like was the channel limitation (no MTV?), and that only some stations allowed me to skip commercials. This could have changed since then.

Now I have an Xfinity subscrition with a CableCard. I use it with an HDHomeRun Prime, and turned my computer into a server. I've only had it for a few weeks, but so far it's the best system I've had. I use the AppleTV Channels app, but I'm sure it's available on Roku and other set top boxes.

For me it's all about the $$ at this point in time.  Plus, I really don't watch much.  When I really thought about it, the tv is on a lot, but it's really just on for noise and it's always reruns.  For fuck sake, how many times can I watch King of Queens.

I like watching Conan at night.  I've been watching Curse of Oak Island, and 60 days In but let's be honest, those shows are giant teases.  Nothing of any signifigance actually happens and I usually end up walking away or messing with the cpu or guitar out of sheer boredom when they are on.  I really don't care if I see them again.

I never watched on demand content on Comcast mostly because it was all bait-n-switch.  They advertise this giant library but it is extrememly limited and what you would like to watch you have to rent or it isn't even available.  I've been giving amazon prime a try for a few months and between that and Sling, I think I have it covered, and all my Amazon orders recently have been free shipping so.. there's that.