Smoked ribs for the first time today...

5 Likes

Looks good! Pork ribs?

Nice.

A recipe i use a couple of times a summer (no smoking though)

1/4 cup light brown sugar

2 tablespoons granulated sugar 

1 teaspoon chili powder 

1 teaspoon garlic powder 

1 teaspoon onion powder 

1 teaspoon paprika 

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper 

One 3-pound slab baby back ribs 

2 cups BBQ sauce (I use Rib Rack....cheap and yummy!)

1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
  2. Combine the brown sugar, granulated sugar, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, 2 teaspoons salt and a generous amount of freshly ground black pepper in a small bowl (I did 30 grinds). 
  3. Place the ribs on a piece of foil large enough to fold over and seal, then place on a baking sheet. Sprinkle the dry rub all over the top of the meaty side of the ribs. Wrap the foil around the ribs and seal tightly so that no juices can escape during baking. Bake until the meat is tender and can easily be pulled away from the bones with a fork, about 2 hours. 
  4. Heat the BBQ sauce in a small pan over medium heat until warm. Remove the ribs from the oven and open the foil pack. Remove the ribs from the foil and pour any juices that have accumulated into the BBQ sauce and mix to combine. Continue to simmer the sauce until thickened, about 7 minutes.
  5. Heat a grill or grill pan for cooking at medium-high heat.
  6. Slice the ribs into 1-bone pieces. Brush all over with the BBQ sauce. Place the ribs on the grill and cook until grill marks appear, a few minutes on each side. Brush with more BBQ sauce and remove from the heat, then serve with the remaining BBQ sauce on the side.
1 Like

In to try recipe.

You know us black folk love some ribs!!

1 Like

time / temp / foiled?

so I used Lillie's Qs 'Carolina Dirt' rub. It's amazing. I didn't even use BBQ sauce.

I smoked these uncovered for 3 hrs at 225 degrees on 'Super Smoke'. They were not fall off the bone tender, but were very tender. I actually like a little biet to get my pork off the ribs.

2 Likes

generally speaking if you have some kind of gear for charcoal and wood smoke (ideally mix of hickory and a fruit wood), i've found that if you do 3-2-1 method for st louis ribs, shorten an hour or so for baby back, that nothing else really matters. differences in rub and sauce offer variation, but there is no real point in over thinking it.

- apply rub and start the coals. if i am making ribs i'm going to do 2-3 racks so having more than one rub for variation. i usually will make a batch of basic rub so i'll do one of those and one of a store bought. last time it was trader joe's coffee rub

- when temp reaches 225, ribs on for 3 hours. 2 for baby back. no need to touch except maintain temp

- at time, wrap in foil, spray with cider or apple juice before sealing, back on 225 for 2 hours

- at time, unwrap, sauce (i usually use more than one here as well), raise temp for last hour to glaze and char. flip a couple times during this hour

its no fail shit. i have found every variation of rub/sauce to be awesome which leads me to not overthinking it and just using whatever i have

those ribs look really good

I prefer dry ribs as well.  Lately the process i have been using is a yellow mustard coat and then seasoned with rub.  Smoke for 2 hours at 225 and then 1 hour at 325.  I spritz them every 30 minutes with a mixture of apple cider vinegar, worcestershire sauce, and a little tomato paste.  All done uncovered.

Dough Boy - 

those ribs look really good

I prefer dry ribs as well.  Lately the process i have been using is a yellow mustard coat and then seasoned with rub.  Smoke for 2 hours at 225 and then 1 hour at 325.  I spritz them every 30 minutes with a mixture of apple cider vinegar, worcestershire sauce, and a little tomato paste.  All done uncovered.

I am very much a fan of a dry bark, so not sure I would do the aluminum foil wrap, but will probably try it anyway at least once for comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/user/howtobbqright

I highly recommend watching some of Malcolm Reeds videos for BBQ tips and recipes

HowToBBQRight-Barbecue Recipes

^^^^ definitely will check him out.

This damn Traeger makes it so easy. It takes away the effort to keep a consistent temperature.

Im going to make these pork belly burnt ends for 4th of July

VirusHoax -

generally speaking if you have some kind of gear for charcoal and wood smoke (ideally mix of hickory and a fruit wood), i've found that if you do 3-2-1 method for st louis ribs, shorten an hour or so for baby back, that nothing else really matters. differences in rub and sauce offer variation, but there is no real point in over thinking it.

- apply rub and start the coals. if i am making ribs i'm going to do 2-3 racks so having more than one rub for variation. i usually will make a batch of basic rub so i'll do one of those and one of a store bought. last time it was trader joe's coffee rub

- when temp reaches 225, ribs on for 3 hours. 2 for baby back. no need to touch except maintain temp

- at time, wrap in foil, spray with cider or apple juice before sealing, back on 225 for 2 hours

- at time, unwrap, sauce (i usually use more than one here as well), raise temp for last hour to glaze and char. flip a couple times during this hour

its no fail shit. i have found every variation of rub/sauce to be awesome which leads me to not overthinking it and just using whatever i have

When you raise the temp for the last hour what temp are you looking for? Also, do you have to add coals during the cook to maintain temp? I haven't smoked ribs on my kettle yet, but I want to try it out sometime this summer.

VirusHoax this thread demands your return to answer questions!

Going Postal -
VirusHoax -

When you raise the temp for the last hour what temp are you looking for? Also, do you have to add coals during the cook to maintain temp? I haven't smoked ribs on my kettle yet, but I want to try it out sometime this summer.

Check out the slow n sear product it’s the best thing you can buy for your weber kettle. Let’s you smoke stuff for longer and sear when needed.

you should activate an old account and give yourself kudos 

Is that one of the Traeger pellet grills?

i heard they are awesome.

A friend is a very popular IG smoker guy, he uses that Kamado Joe (sp), but says he wished he had a Traeger.

Bobby91k -
Going Postal -
VirusHoax -

Check out the slow n sear product it’s the best thing you can buy for your weber kettle. Let’s you smoke stuff for longer and sear when needed.

I'll order one after work today. Thanks.

Chris, the ribs look great and the pig you did the other day looked great, too.

VirusHoax where you at?!

Zned - 

Is that one of the Traeger pellet grills?

i heard they are awesome.

A friend is a very popular IG smoker guy, he uses that Kamado Joe (sp), but says he wished he had a Traeger.

It is a Traeger and I can't speak highly enough of it.

I recently got a Masterbuilt chip smoker similar to a traeger but cheaper, I kinda wish I had a traeger but I’m also super impressed with the masterbuilt